Sightlines are being destroyed everywhere

DLR92

It doesn’t look good…what is the show building for?

In Disneyland, you can see back of house part of Disneyland while abroad on Railroad (most of back of house of Tomorrowland)

Smiley/OCD

It doesn’t look good…what is the show building for?

In Disneyland, you can see back of house part of Disneyland while abroad on Railroad (most of back of house of Tomorrowland)
Like I've been saying, Walt taught all of his imagineers and staff how to plus attractions. Now with our bearded buddy Chappie, the way Disney now plusses things are magic maker PLUS, Lightning Lane PLUS, etc, etc...

Vegas Disney Fan

The project isnt even finished yet. Whats to come, the last minute details that arent building, that might be inserted around to block those unsightly views they are whining about can be added. So its premiture to start griping about what they see right now isnt it?

I chuckle when I look at old Disneyland photos from the 50s and 60s because it’s a concrete jungle, very few trees, very few plants, very few flowers, literally concrete and dirt everywhere you look, and despite the berm you can often see the exterior powerlines.

The “park” portion of DL park took decades to reach the magnificence it is today.

Having said that they still took great pains back then to hide the buildings from day 1, modern Disney has sadly lost that. In a decade the trees will probably obscure much of the show buildings we complain about today but it’s a shame that’s the new normal.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

I chuckle when I look at old Disneyland photos from the 50s and 60s because it’s a concrete jungle, very few trees, very few plants, very few flowers, literally concrete and dirt everywhere you look, and despite the berm you can often see the exterior powerlines.

The “park” portion of DL park took decades to reach the magnificence it is today.

Having said that they took still great pains back then to hide the buildings from day 1, modern Disney has sadly lost that. In a decade the trees will probably obscure much of the show buildings we complain about today but it’s a shame that’s the new normal.
Yes! Somehow I don't think Chappie would authorize the money to transplant large, grown trees from wooded areas of the property. He would rather save the $$$ and just put saplings around the attractions. He doesn't PLUS things, he MINUSES them.

Goofyernmost

This is exactly the complacency that I’m talking about. Be happy with what you got and don’t ever look up because it will ruin the view. As I have always said, the farther we are from Walt Disney’s death the more we forget/ignore the standards he set for his theme park. Meanwhile Universals standards are getting better.
We are not theme park inspectors. We do not control Disney. We do not know the purpose and the goals of the company and we definitely do not have a say in anything. Personally, I really don't care about whatever opinion anyone has about things. I see a lot of things that I don't like either, but what is accomplished by getting our knickers in a knot over things that we cannot control. It isn't complacency it is reality. It is up to me to determine for myself what I am going to decide to do. Moan about things that I can't change or enjoy what is presented or stay home. That is the limit of my power. Yours may differ, but since I don't know you, only you can decide that.

Goofyernmost

The Magic Kingdom attractions that are also at Disneyland are interactions. They were updated and reworked. Even The Haunted Mansion, where they produced two of everything, has a different configuration and building for the Magic Kingdom. That is not the case with TRON.
And your point is? My point is who gives a damn. If it is the same or it isn't I can still enjoy it and it doesn't matter if it is the same, in fact I think that is better since I don't have to wonder if I am missing anything.

Goofyernmost

This is a strange response that misses the point.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with building a clone. I said there was something wrong with building this specific clone in this specific location, because of the massive unthemed building towering over other areas.
And I don't see where it is anymore out of place then Space Mountain. It depicts a future thing doesn't it?

Smiley/OCD

We are not theme park inspectors. We do not control Disney. We do not know the purpose and the goals of the company and we definitely do not have a say in anything. Personally, I really don't care about whatever opinion anyone has about things. I see a lot of things that I don't like either, but what is accomplished by getting our knickers in a knot over things that we cannot control. It isn't complacency it is reality. It is up to me to determine for myself what I am going to decide to do. Moan about things that I can't change or enjoy what is presented or stay home. That is the limit of my power. Yours may differ, but since I don't know you, only you can decide that.
I don't understand what you're saying. You are on a superfan passionate website that's 98% opinion driven...we toss ideas around AND opinions too. I opine all the time and so do you. So my question is, if you don't care about everyone else's opinion, what are you doing on here? I may not always agree with yours but I respect it and you certainly have every right to yours, but I honestly don't understand why you would be on here saying you don't care about anyone's opinion and then give yours. I mean nothing but respect, but you've got to explain this to me.

lazyboy97o

And your point is? My point is who gives a damn. If it is the same or it isn't I can still enjoy it and it doesn't matter if it is the same, in fact I think that is better since I don't have to wonder if I am missing anything.
You obviously give a damn, because you’re constantly trying to shut down conversations by claiming you don’t care. If you actually didn’t care you wouldn’t be reading and commenting.

UNCgolf

And I don't see where it is anymore out of place then Space Mountain. It depicts a future thing doesn't it?

What's futuristic about a giant box warehouse?

Are you talking about the canopy? The canopy is fine, but the canopy doesn't hide the building from everywhere (see below picture). It only hides it from certain angles. I'm pretty sure that isn't an issue in Shanghai because it was actually designed for Shanghai, so the canopy does hide the warehouse from inside the park.

Walt-Disney-World-Railroad_Full_48193.jpg

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

What's futuristic about a giant box warehouse?

Are you talking about the canopy? The canopy is fine, but the canopy doesn't hide the building from everywhere (see below picture). It only hides it from certain angles. I'm pretty sure that isn't an issue in Shanghai because it was actually designed for Shanghai, so the canopy does hide the warehouse from inside the park.

Walt-Disney-World-Railroad_Full_48193.jpg
Again with the building? The thing isn't even finished yet, but again, it is just a themed (that's the part I was talking about) attraction that requires height to accommodate it. Reality tells me that it isn't the "theming" that is the problem it is the building and would be a problem no matter where it was located. Again I ask what would you do with it. How would you completely hid a utility that is needed to create the height needed to make it a thrill ride? It looks like it is going to be a fun experience. Why isn't that the important part? Should it be underground (likely under water) or should the track be lowered to ground level all around so that a smaller easily hidden building could be used?

lazyboy97o

Again with the building? The thing isn't even finished yet, but again, it is just a themed (that's the part I was talking about) attraction that requires height to accommodate it. Reality tells me that it isn't the "theming" that is the problem it is the building and would be a problem no matter where it was located. Again I ask what would you do with it. How would you completely hid a utility that is needed to create the height needed to make it a thrill ride? It looks like it is going to be a fun experience. Why isn't that the important part? Should it be underground (likely under water) or should the track be lowered to ground level all around so that a smaller easily hidden building could be used?
There are a variety of techniques that could have been used to not have a warehouse sitting out in the open, clear as day. The ride does not have a big drop, so it doesn’t need the height for its thrills. The ride also already has a basement level, so it could have made use of that. It could have had a designed building intended to be seen like its neighbor. The site topography could have been reshaped to support berms. All sorts of things could have been done.

montyz81

Original Poster
Remember one thing. Disney World's four parks are called "Theme Parks". Six Flags is called an "amusement park." If it were built as an amusement park, I would 100% agree with you. But Walt Disney and the Imagineers set out to change what an amusement park is/was. The intent is to be all immersive. When you walk down towards RnRC, can you see the building that houses the roller coaster? Can you see the building from anywhere in the park? You ask why isn't the ride experience the important part? My answer; it is if you are going to an amusement park. Disney set the bar for themed entertainment, maybe they should keep up with the standard they created!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You ask why isn't the ride experience the important part? My answer; it is if you are going to an amusement park. Disney set the bar for themed entertainment, maybe they should keep up with the standard they created!
They'd rather live down to everybody else's standards. They pretty much said so when they used the "industry standard" excuse for implementing hotel parking fees.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom