News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Brian

The bill will have an indeterminate fiscal impact on those local general purpose governments that will assume the assets and indebtedness of an independent special district dissolved by the bill.
If I were given merely, at best, 24 hours to determine and analyze fiscal impact, I'd write the same thing too.

peter11435

Laughable is correct indeed. I’ve been laughing since I read that post/doc. One of my favorite parts:

The bill will have an indeterminate fiscal impact on those local general purpose governments that will assume the assets and indebtedness of an independent special district dissolved by the bill.
Apparently this qualifies as a professional assessment discussing the impact of the bill.

peter11435

If I were given merely, at best, two days to determine and analyze fiscal impact, I'd write the same thing too.
I wouldn’t put my name on an analysis and attach a favorable rating to a bill that I’ve only had two days to investigate and research. Especially when it’s clear from this assessment that very little research or investigation was actually done.

Brian

I wouldn’t put my name on an analysis and attach a favorable rating to a bill that I’ve only had two days to investigate and research. Especially when it’s clear from this assessment that very little research or investigation was actually done.
Nor would I, but the poor soul tasked with writing this, in extremely limited time, likely wanted to keep his job.

UNCgolf

Since this was written by the staff of a Senate committee, I'm not sure it was nonpartisan analysis.

I believe most legislative committee staff is hired by the leaders of the committee; it's not a long-term nonpartisan position. Or at least that's generally how it works in the US Congress, as far as I know. I doubt Florida is any different.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Posts will be deleted as long as posters continue to ignore guidelines and/or go off topic. And continue to be rude to other posters. So, forever. ;)
I can look on the bright side. At least this post did not get deleted 😉. Does this fall under the rude category? Because I am just joking. I too am a fan of bold.

Your role as moderator is a difficult one. Does a post break the rules or am I looking at the post with a subjective eye?

In the end, it’s doesn’t matter. These boards are totally fun! They provide a lot if good tips to Disneyparks visitors!

An as for any opinions about anything in TWDC, parks, movies, prices; it's fun to discuss but we all know it won’t make any difference.

TWDC will do what it will do…

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The most recent analysis on their website, for any legislation, dates back to January 31.

I don't think any analysis was done on this year's bill. I could be wrong.

Which would be done for bills that came up during the regular session.

My guess, knowing how fond the Legislature is of their own research arm, is OPPAGA would have pointed out all the issues that we have commented on in the thread. And they wouldn't have wanted that.

lentesta

Premium Member

My guess, knowing how fond the Legislature is of their own research arm, is OPPAGA would have pointed out all the issues that we have commented on in the thread. And they wouldn't have wanted that.

The legislature probably knew they were going to get something along the lines of "AS PER MY PREVIOUS EMAIL..."

LAKid53

Premium Member
I agree with you that the legislation was rushed.

There was analysis of this legislation done by the professional staff of the Committee on Community Affairs, which discusses its impact. The analyst gives the legislation a rating of "favorable."

That's the staff of a Legislative committee. I've worked with such staff before. Many are pretty young, just out of college. That the response to the Tax/Fee Issue was "No", tells me these weren't "professionals" at all.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Laughable is correct indeed. I’ve been laughing since I read that post/doc. One of my favorite parts:

Yet the response to Tax/Fee concerns was "No".

LAKid53

Premium Member
Since this was written by the staff of a Senate committee, I'm not sure it was nonpartisan analysis.

I believe most legislative committee staff is hired by the leaders of the committee; it's not a long-term nonpartisan position. Or at least that's generally how it works in the US Congress, as far as I know. I doubt Florida is any different.

It's not. Staff are hired by the committee staff director, who is hired by the Committee chair. Some are there because of connections. Some are there because they are competent and have the necessary education and experience the Committee needs.

JoeCamel

The staff director of the committee. They serve at the whim of the Legislature and some staffers have connections. 😉

And can be fired at a moment's notice.
Strange, when I need to make a decision on an important matter I try to get as much info without slant as I can. Getting told what you want to hear certainly isn't the process I would use or trust as a basis to enable me to make the best choices.

lazyboy97o

This is why the prior research from 2004 is still relevant. It does touch on some of these issues, so just reading that would have presented challenges and debunked some of the claims (assuming they’re not knowingly lying about how the District operates). Depending on which cases move forward the State can find themselves having to justify ignoring previous work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom