News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They do. By statute.
The Board of Supervisors are elected by the electors - property owners - in the District.
This is the problem with the Governor’s “plan” he alluded to with no actual details. In order to strip Disney of control he wants the state to appoint the supervisors and essentially take over the district but it’s simply not legal. Even if they could change that law through an act of the legislature (and it may be in the state constitution which would require an amendment) it would then have to apply across the board to all local governments and would surely be wildly unpopular. I made a Star Wars joke earlier in the thread comparing this situation to the Emperor dissolving the Imperial Senate, that’s some crazy, half baked plan.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
My take on this piece of legislation? It was rushed through without reviewing the other statutes that would impact any attempts to dissolve or restructure a special district of this size. It not only has operational problems, but financing ones.

I haven't been able to find any OPPAGA analysis of the legislation. OPPAGA - the Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability - is the research unit of the Florida Legislature. Normally it would be tasked with analysing the impact of a bill of this nature and that report would be available to the public. But then, the Legislature doesn't care for its own research unit, especially when their findings recommend against proposed legislation.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyboy97o

I haven't been able to find any OPPAGA analysis of the legislation. OPPAGA - the Office of Program Policy Analysis and Government Accountability - is the research unit of the Florida Legislature. Normally it would be tasked with analysing the impact of a bill of this nature and that report would be available to the public. But then, the Legislature doesn't care for its own research unit, especially when their findings recommend against proposed legislation.
@lentesta posted this earlier. OPPAGA did look at the Reedy Creek Improvement District back in 2004.

Brian

My take on this piece of legislation? It was rushed through without reviewing the other statutes that would impact any attempts to dissolve or restructure a special district of this size. It not only has operational problems, but financing ones.

I agree with you that the legislation was rushed.

There was analysis of this legislation done by the professional staff of the Committee on Community Affairs, which discusses its impact. The analyst gives the legislation a rating of "favorable."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
@lentesta posted this earlier. OPPAGA did look at the Reedy Creek Improvement District back in 2004.

It’s an interesting read. Funny how the concern back then was losing Disney as the primary land owner. Times they have changed. I also find it ironic that they highlighted the risk of turning over the board and losing years of collective experience but the plan that’s been alluded to now is to gut the board and replace them with yes men appointed by the Governor. So much for valuing experience.

peter11435

I agree with you that the legislation was rushed.

There was analysis of this legislation done by the professional staff of the Committee on Community Affairs, which discusses its impact. The analyst gives the legislation a rating of "favorable."
Did you actually read this? It’s laughable to call this a professional analysis. It also really doesn’t discuss the impact at all.

Brian

Did you actually read this? It’s laughable to call this a professional analysis. It also really doesn’t discuss the impact at all.
Yes, I read it. You should note that I made no statement in my post as to the professionalism of the analysis, nor the degree to which all impacts of the legislation were covered.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Laughable is correct indeed. I’ve been laughing since I read that post/doc. One of my favorite parts:

The bill will have an indeterminate fiscal impact on those local general purpose governments that will assume the assets and indebtedness of an independent special district dissolved by the bill.

Brian

The bill will have an indeterminate fiscal impact on those local general purpose governments that will assume the assets and indebtedness of an independent special district dissolved by the bill.
If I were given merely, at best, 24 hours to determine and analyze fiscal impact, I'd write the same thing too.

peter11435

Laughable is correct indeed. I’ve been laughing since I read that post/doc. One of my favorite parts:

Apparently this qualifies as a professional assessment discussing the impact of the bill.

peter11435

If I were given merely, at best, two days to determine and analyze fiscal impact, I'd write the same thing too.
I wouldn’t put my name on an analysis and attach a favorable rating to a bill that I’ve only had two days to investigate and research. Especially when it’s clear from this assessment that very little research or investigation was actually done.

Brian

I wouldn’t put my name on an analysis and attach a favorable rating to a bill that I’ve only had two days to investigate and research. Especially when it’s clear from this assessment that very little research or investigation was actually done.
Nor would I, but the poor soul tasked with writing this, in extremely limited time, likely wanted to keep his job.

UNCgolf

Since this was written by the staff of a Senate committee, I'm not sure it was nonpartisan analysis.

I believe most legislative committee staff is hired by the leaders of the committee; it's not a long-term nonpartisan position. Or at least that's generally how it works in the US Congress, as far as I know. I doubt Florida is any different.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom