News Disney Exec Resignation

Indy_UK

Is it also not down to the era that these were built with the style they are given.

An example would have been the World of Disney. What it used to look like with all the characters was loved by a lot of people but that look does also go out of fashion. It’s a lot more sterile look now but it is very in with the times. The character is just more subtle.

I think Riveria looks beautiful, just stupidly expensive on points to stay there

ImperfectPixie

This is absolutely true. He orchestrated many awesome resorts.

But to also take it one step farther, the current Tower hotels are products of lazy, overweight society and those folk not wanting more steps after a day in the parks. Get rid of lush, themed, landscaped environments and give me a tower that I can walk down a hallway, ride an elevator, and have all amenities right downstairs. It is why the spread out resorts also have "preferred" sections now. Too many folk don't enjoy the walk.
Pre-Riviera, I timed the walk from one of the furthest out Pirate rooms at CBR to Port Royale. 7 minutes if you stuck to the water side...and it was a pleasant walk. I always felt like those complaining are the ones who don't appreciate quiet moments during their trips.

Lilofan

This is absolutely true. He orchestrated many awesome resorts.

But to also take it one step farther, the current Tower hotels are products of lazy, overweight society and those folk not wanting more steps after a day in the parks. Get rid of lush, themed, landscaped environments and give me a tower that I can walk down a hallway, ride an elevator, and have all amenities right downstairs. It is why the spread out resorts also have "preferred" sections now. Too many folk don't enjoy the walk.
A tower feel regardless of price point is no longer a resort . A resort to me is a lush, themed , spread out oasis. If one doesn’t look forward to walking especially during the brutal hot and humid summer, then perhaps a vacation at WDW would not be a good idea.

Kamikaze

just pointing out a funny thing: in 30 years there will be someone on wdwmagic defending chapek just like you're defending eisner now
I very much doubt that. Chapek has no redeeming qualities or anything to hang his hat on as 'good' he's done. Eisner - even when you factor in the raw deal with Roy E trying to destroy the company and Eisner with the help of Comcast - had many years of meaningful additions to TWDC before Wells' death. The real mistake of the Eisner years was not replacing Wells with a similar 'check' on Eisner. And the other mistake is the same one they still make and will continue to make, when something goes bad they pull back everything (Euro Disney flopping resulting cutting budgets in other areas in Eisner's case).

Kamikaze

It is incredible that an outside search for a CEO when Iger was leaving came up with little or nothing? Then the Disney Board was fully on board of promoting Chapek to the top position.
There are very few people in the entire world that are capable of running a mega-corp like TWDC, especially given how diverse it is. It needs two people at the helm, like Walt & Roy and Eisner & Wells did.

wannabeBelle

A tower feel regardless of price point is no longer a resort . A resort to me is a lush, themed , spread out oasis. If one doesn’t look forward to walking especially during the brutal hot and humid summer, then perhaps a vacation at WDW would not be a good idea.
I dont know if I agree here. Some of the most beautiful resorts in Disney are hotels in that they are all in one building ( for the most part) Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Yacht Club are some of my favorites for that style. I personally love the Gran Destino Tower at CSR, but it is nice that it also has the other room types available as well. Marie

Lilofan

I dont know if I agree here. Some of the most beautiful resorts in Disney are hotels in that they are all in one building ( for the most part) Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Yacht Club are some of my favorites for that style. I personally love the Gran Destino Tower at CSR, but it is nice that it also has the other room types available as well. Marie
Good points. We like AK Lodge and the breakfast and dinner buffet at Boma. The spicy African beef dish is good and the watermelon rind salad is delish.

Casper Gutman

I think it boils down to this - Iger had the talent to make Disney better but, with the exception of the studio side, he chose not to. His only concern was that the company seemed to prosper when that prosperity reflected positively on him - long term be darned. Chapek simply lacks the talent to run the business at all.

Last edited:

wannabeBelle

Good points. We like AK Lodge and the breakfast and dinner buffet at Boma. The spicy African beef dish is good and the watermelon rind salad is delish.
I also like the breakfast at Boma, but the dinner is too exotic for my tastes. I have very a bland palate so I am not so adventurous. Jiko is pretty great and they worked with me to dumb down one of the dishes and it was great for me. The interior of the resort is pretty spectacular in terms of theming. Marie

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
"His shrewd, cost-cutting ways helped him climb the executive ranks and garner analyst praise, but, now that he's at the helm of the plum theme park gig, he's become the poster child for the domestic malaise."

Who is that line about?

If you answered "Bob Chapek"... you're wrong.

Paul Pressler, circa August 2002. The similarities between their tenures in P&R/PEP are frighteningly similar, except Pressler took off before he became CEO. Not that I know if he was ever a serious candidate to replace Eisner or not.

The other paragraph written about Pressler is astounding (the word "savior" was used, if you can believe that), and this was obviously written before all the problems of his era became glaringly apparent.

JoeCamel

Lilofan

"His shrewd, cost-cutting ways helped him climb the executive ranks and garner analyst praise, but, now that he's at the helm of the plum theme park gig, he's become the poster child for the domestic malaise."

Who is that line about?

If you answered "Bob Chapek"... you're wrong.

Paul Pressler, circa August 2002. The similarities between their tenures in P&R/PEP are frighteningly similar, except Pressler took off before he became CEO. Not that I know if he was ever a serious candidate to replace Eisner or not.

The other paragraph written about Pressler is astounding (the word "savior" was used, if you can believe that), and this was obviously written before all the problems of his era became glaringly apparent.
Pressler resigned and went for greener pastures to be The Gap CEO until he was forced out but left with a nice severance package when he left The Gap.

Trauma

What a freaking bloodbath.

JPOW might send the Dis into buyout range if he gets aggressive.

Looks like they won’t have to give the extra 2 days off to their employees. They will be the first to go.

Tom P.

There are very few people in the entire world that are capable of running a mega-corp like TWDC, especially given how diverse it is. It needs two people at the helm, like Walt & Roy and Eisner & Wells did.
Chapek is doing an absolutely miserable job of running the company. I mean, absolutely horrific. And his total compensation last year was $32.5 million.

Now, I don't claim to be capable of running a behometh the size of The Walt Disney Company. But I would take the job for only $10 million. I guarantee I am capable of running the company into the ground just as well as, if not better than, Chapek and I would save them $22.5 million per year.

What's not to love about that deal? It's a win-win!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom