News Disney Exec Resignation

yensid1967

They believe that there is little they can do to the parks and resorts that would actually result in people not coming. And so far, they have been proven correct.
I REALLY WISH the executives would read all the guests vowing not to return to Disney! There are a lot of them! I know that for every 1 disgruntled guest not returning there are more guests taking their places. But they will have their fill of the bad experience for too much money in time! Disney 'should' care if more than a handful of guests are not returning because of the prices vs experiences...some of these guests are DIE HARD fans!
It's sad to see something that everyone loves and has had awesome family memories become something less worthy of a vacation!

yensid1967

89.00hapek would get a similar golden parachute if he was fired. Not a bad retirement gift.
At least he would not be in control of Disney any longer. Hopefully someone whoever fills his shoes will bring back the magic, wonder, creativity, and the fantasy to Disney!

Bringing back the Magic...
-REVAMP park reservations
-REPLACE Genie+ with a better system (even a low cost paid system for major rides)
-FREE FP's for all other rides (dispersing crowds around the parks)
-Bring back pre-pandemic offerings all over!
-GIVE WDW(MK) A NEW PARADE (no reason why DL gets all the love/new parades) Paint the Night would be nice for new nighttime parade, daytime parade could be a mash of Disney Classics Parade...so simple and inexpensive...PtN already exists and Disney Classics Parade could use available floats.
-lower the cost of parks admissions! $89/per park @ 10,000 guests=$890,000.00 per day X 4=$3,560,00.00 per day JUST for park admissions!
-MAKE 'PLANNING' A DISNEY VACATION ENJOYABLE ONCE AGAIN!
-Take away the use of having to use your cell phones constantly during your park day visits! You are suppose to escape form the outside world!
-bring the costs of VALUE HOTELS down to VALUE PRICES! ($150.00+/per night is NOT VALUE)

DisneyNittany

Walt Disney World, similarly to my beloved college football, feels to be chugging along the same path of being A) ran by those who hate/are indifferent to the product/service and B) don't care/understand what makes it so unique and appealing to their core base.

There are a lot of eerily common themes, most notably that the die-hards were able to, for the longest time, "ignore" the bad and buy into the propaganda (both sell nostalgia and an unique slice of Americana), because the ROI made sense. Now, the veil has been lifted, and those in power aren't even trying to hide the fact that they're all in on appeasing the casual fan (the guy who watches only the big game of the week; the family that only goes once), while just assuming the die-hards/core base will always be there.

It might be a slow burn, but I can't help but feel we're at an inflection point.

Disclaimer: You can ignore all of this fretting of mine once the recession hits and those in charge are forced to appeal back to their core consumer base.

Last edited by a moderator:

yensid1967

Walt Disney World, similarly to my beloved college football, feels to be chugging along the same path of being A) ran by those who hate/are indifferent to the product/service and B) don't care/understand what makes it so unique and appealing to their core base.

There are a lot of eerily common themes, most notably that the die-hards were able to, for the longest time, "ignore" the bad and buy into the propaganda (both sell nostalgia and an unique slice of Americana), because the ROI made sense. Now, the veil has been lifted, and those in power aren't even trying to hide the fact that they're all in on appeasing the casual fan (the guy who watches only the big game of the week; the family that only goes once), while just assuming the die-hards/core base will always be there.

It might be a slow burn, but I can't help but feel we're at an inflection point.

Disclaimer: You can ignore all of this fretting of mine once the recession hits and those in charge are forced to appeal back to their core consumer base.
If WE get it and can see it...why can't those executives get it!?

EDIT: They get t, they just want to pad their wallets with more money

Something else that I thought of that doesn't jive with me...
Disney have said that the parks are NOT at full capacity, but yet the guests are shoulder to shoulder with long wait lines...BUT Disney won't release their attendance numbers! I think the park is at full capacity, they just want us to think that its not! I am a former Cast Member, I know that they usually close the park at 10,000 guests and that is shoulder to shoulder and long lines! So I will bet you they are at FULL CAPACITY but want us to think otherwise!

Last edited:

cloudboy

Right now, Disney offers an experience no one else does. That has been what has allowed them to pretty much do whatever they want and still draw in the crowds.

But...

That doesn't mean that won't change. Already we have seen that other parks can now create as immersive environments. And the worlds has suddenly changed in size, at least figuratively. A trip to Europe is no longer alien to most Americans. People living on teh East coast can get there nearly as cheaply as they can to California. This opens up brand new destinations for them - and new markets for other theme parks in Europe. Add to that a number of Imagineering cast members decided against moving to Orlando, which suddenly creates this pool of creative designers who are experts in immersive environments suddenly available for other entertainment companies.

I think it is just a matter of time before one of these decides to build not just a park but a whole vacation "kingdom". In some ways Disney is smart by not investing now and getting as much money as it can while it can, before it has to compete. But changes in the theme park industry do not happen overnight, so they also have to be careful that they do not lewt everyone catch up - and even surpass them.

yensid1967

Right now, Disney offers an experience no one else does. That has been what has allowed them to pretty much do whatever they want and still draw in the crowds.

But...

That doesn't mean that won't change. Already we have seen that other parks can now create as immersive environments. And the worlds has suddenly changed in size, at least figuratively. A trip to Europe is no longer alien to most Americans. People living on teh East coast can get there nearly as cheaply as they can to California. This opens up brand new destinations for them - and new markets for other theme parks in Europe. Add to that a number of Imagineering cast members decided against moving to Orlando, which suddenly creates this pool of creative designers who are experts in immersive environments suddenly available for other entertainment companies.

I think it is just a matter of time before one of these decides to build not just a park but a whole vacation "kingdom". In some ways Disney is smart by not investing now and getting as much money as it can while it can, before it has to compete. But changes in the theme park industry do not happen overnight, so they also have to be careful that they do not lewt everyone catch up - and even surpass them.
Look at Universal's Epic Universe Park...they are slated to open in 2025-2026! That's only 4 years away! It takes Disney 5 years to build 1 ride! I think Universal with start giving Disney a run for their money in the coming years if Disney doesn't do something NOW for the furture! If it takes Disney 5 years for 1 attraction, how long is it gonna take to build a new park? 5-10 years is NOT acceptable!

Tom P.

Look at Universal's Epic Universe Park...they are slated to open in 2025-2026! That's only 4 years away! It takes Disney 5 years to build 1 ride! I think Universal with start giving Disney a run for their money in the coming years if Disney doesn't do something NOW for the furture! If it takes Disney 5 years for 1 attraction, how long is it gonna take to build a new park? 5-10 years is NOT acceptable!
Disney is not going to build a new park. Not now and not in the foreseeable future. A new park doesn't help address the issues that they have. The issues are with their existing parks. And, to a lesser extent, their existing resorts. That is where the attention is needed.

lazyboy97o

Epic Universe has already been in development for years. It’ll be closer to a decade by the time it is done.

Smiley/OCD

I guess Joe Rhode was right all along about the time to go…

Working in retail management for most of my life, I always remembered when you’re on top of the mountain, if you don’t pay attention to your surroundings, there’s only one way to go…the companies still in business believed that. The ones that aren’t, wellllll..

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I REALLY WISH the executives would read all the guests vowing not to return to Disney! There are a lot of them! I know that for every 1 disgruntled guest not returning there are more guests taking their places. But they will have their fill of the bad experience for too much money in time! Disney 'should' care if more than a handful of guests are not returning because of the prices vs experiences...some of these guests are DIE HARD fans!
It's sad to see something that everyone loves and has had awesome family memories become something less worthy of a vacation!
The problem is all those people who say it don’t deliver on the promise…and they damn well know it/can track it…

yensid1967

Disney is not going to build a new park. Not now and not in the foreseeable future. A new park doesn't help address the issues that they have. The issues are with their existing parks. And, to a lesser extent, their existing resorts. That is where the attention is needed.
I agree, but I was just making a general statement. Disney needs to show shoe some love to Disney World for once and have both resorts DL/WDW being refurbbed to what they can actually USE TO BE...a great vacation destination...paying attention to the wrongs, and the much-needed details!

Last edited:

fgmnt

I missed a lot here, but at the end of the day, we are witnessing the bearing of fruits planted over a decade ago in the company. I thought these days were a few years away but I am not surprised they are here at all.

The operation of the company under Chapek is a product of the Iger regime: a man who gleefully enabled the institutional rot of the company's unique and stalwart business units in P&R and WDI. They are the physical manifestation of the Disney difference; two of its major studio competitors toyed around with regional theme park chains for a few years before dumping them, and the other has had to assemble licensing deals from all other major studios to fill its attraction rosters. No other Hollywood company has this incredible advantage of being able to meticulously control the image of its work in an interactive space, create core memories that can affect potential customers' perceptions of the company for their lifetimes, and make a bunch of money off of this opportunity.

Instead of taking this opportunity to secure the future of the brand, the board and Iger made the conscious decision almost 2 decades ago to treat the domestic parks like mature asset; a money printer to be run at maximum capacity until the ink runs dry, the paper runs out, and the machine combusts. This philosophy was no more apparent than when they merged the most unique part of the company with the division that sells movie characters' faces to be put on Band-Aids and Ziploc bags, with the most obvious at the executive vp level heading it all up. After years of disdainful treatment of the parks division under the likes of the criminal Pressler and the bloodless Staggs, the division was treated to Bob Chapek; a total non-entity of a person.

Iger did what the stockholders wanted: he made the line go up. In return, he got to keep his liutenants in charge and build myths about himself. Kneecapping a place like WDI, terminating 2D animation, and value engineering the parks were easy ways to make the line keep going up for him--the product of the institutional rot be damned.

That the peddling knick knacks ended up CEO after all of this is not a surprise, nor is the fallout from such a decision. I really wonder what is next for the company.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamikaze

Even if he is released he is owed $40M I if he never plays again. Not a bad deal for him.
Here's the crazy thing about MLB contracts: If another team picks him up, the Mets are still on the hook for anything the new team doesn't pay him. Meaning the new team can give him league minimum and Robbie is still getting his full guaranteed salary. Basically the same as a golden parachute.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Here's the crazy thing about MLB contracts: If another team picks him up, the Mets are still on the hook for anything the new team doesn't pay him. Meaning the new team can give him league minimum and Robbie is still getting his full guaranteed salary.
Agent earned his cut

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom