News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

tommyhawkins

They could get rid of imagineering and not do a thing for the next 10 years, and they still wouldn’t save as much as they lost over the past 18 months. There is no spin to this where it benefits them

You know that they primarily "lost" profits and remained solvent throughout the entire period as well as being quick to lay off as many people as possible, they were accustomed to making lots of money handing over fist, year after to year so all the "Disney are down XXXX Billion" headlines are meaningless compared to their actual cash burn l - DPEP was a cash cow for them precovid and already turningback into one with all the net price increases. And any other business that could stop producing a product for 18-24 months and STILL get the same amount of customers handing them money for existing assets would also be laughing to all the way to the bank too especialy when those products come with a price tag of $200-400m each to make.

You know that they primarily "lost" profits and remained solvent throughout the entire period as well as being quick to lay off as many people as possible, they were accustomed to making lots of money handing over fist, year after to year so all the "Disney are down XXXX Billion" headlines are meaningless compared to their actual cash burn l - DPEP was a cash cow for them precovid and already turningback into one with all the net price increases. And any other business that could stop producing a product for 18-24 months and STILL get the same amount of customers handing them money for existing assets would also be laughing to all the way to the bank too especialy when those products come with a price tag of $200-400m each to make.
Disney lost $1.58 billion in fiscal year 2020.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney lost $1.58 billion in fiscal year 2020.
They lost that much due to trashing all the linear channels they inherited from 20CF.

The part of the business that does business and makes a profit, made only $8.1B in 2020 (compared to $14.8B in 2019).

1631418923896.png

1631418945831.png

But when your total financials include closing down European TV channels and restructuring your HULU investment, all of a sudden, you have an extra $5.6B in write-offs than the year before for a total of $11B in on-paper reduction in 'net profit.'

1631419078163.png

In a normal year, that amount of write-offs would go mostly unnoticed, but when you *only* make $8B in profit from your various enterprises, it stings.

Last edited:

tommyhawkins

They lost that much due to trashing all the linear channels they inherited from 20CF.

The part of the business that does business and makes a profit, made only $8.1B in 2020 (compared to $14.8B in 2019).

View attachment 586385
View attachment 586386

But when your total financials include closing down European TV channels and restructuring your HULU investment, all of a sudden, you have an extra $5.6B in write-offs than the year before for a total of $11B in on-paper reduction in 'net profit.'

View attachment 586387

In a normal year, that amount of write-offs would go mostly unnoticed, but when you *only* make $8B in profit from your various enterprises, it stings.

Totally.
Losing 1.58 billion sounds major, but when its 13% of the profit alone, and single digit % of total revenue of anything they made the previous year, im sure many would argue with the major restructuring, the write offs you mentioned and the complete shut down, they weathered Covid pretty well . Especially when they still had like $16BN cash on hand this year it makes the "disney HAD to do this" narrative somewhat laughable

Stupido

It's highly likely that they will film scenes for Cosmic Rewind in that time frame. Hopefully, this ride will open sooner next year.

I would imagine they would shoot the scenes for the ride towards the start of this frame, just so it gives them more time to edit the footage, and add any sfx they might need.

FigmentFan82

I would imagine they would shoot the scenes for the ride towards the start of this frame, just so it gives them more time to edit the footage, and add any sfx they might need.
Any shooting for the attraction would most likely coincide with what their dress/attire is that matches something in the upcoming movie. So if there is a part in the new film where they are in "classic" costumes, they'd probably shoot close to those times if that is how they are to appear in the attraction

No Name

Or maybe they’ll shoot it towards the end of this frame, because theme parks are dumb and they’ll want more time to edit the movie.

James Alucobond

Basically the entire plaza has appeared over the last 30 days, so I'd say it's sped up somewhat considerably in terms of what we can see in spite of the vapor barrier still sitting exposed on the building itself.

TrippedUp

I'm suprised and happy to see youre going to be able to get so close to the spaceship. I'd assumed we'd be blocked at the outside of that triangle where the planters are... unless it is going to be characters/CMs on the inside.

DreamfinderGuy

I'm suprised and happy to see youre going to be able to get so close to the spaceship. I'd assumed we'd be blocked at the outside of that triangle where the planters are... unless it is going to be characters/CMs on the inside.
Fairly confident we still have to stand outside the planter.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
However, the ride is really not a good fit for Mario Kart as an IP. Mario Kart is a racing game, not a shooting game. Even if the AR is great, it's still focused on a secondary part of the game that doesn't really work without the actual racing aspect. Shooting shells is not the point of Mario Kart.
Ever played Mario Kart Double Dash? My DS would disagree with you on the shooting aspect.

Rose&Crown

Wonder if they’re trying to finish the plaza around this and Play to push the construction walls back a bit in time for the 50th. Wouldn’t surprise me if they put up the Guardians ship as a photo op.

castlecake2.0

Wonder if they’re trying to finish the plaza around this and Play to push the construction walls back a bit in time for the 50th. Wouldn’t surprise me if they put up the Guardians ship as a photo op.
Would be great if they did, that side of the park is a mess. Just finish the plaza and put in some landscaping and move the walls back as far as possible.

michmousefan

I like that idea, but if they were planning on moving any of the walls back wouldn't they wait to install the Rocket and Groot statue in that vicinity?

Rose&Crown

Would be great if they did, that side of the park is a mess. Just finish the plaza and put in some landscaping and move the walls back as far as possible.
I also feel like with the crowds for the 50th they might want more space at rope drop on that side. Plus a photo op is something Disney absolutely loves so….. either way construction walls moving back will just make the area feel so much bigger. I hate that side right now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom