Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I’m just so tired of watching the nation I grew up with mutate into a hot divided mess. When grown adults see fit to call science a hoax; when it’s even remotely acceptable to scream at school board members and chase them to their cars; when in spite of life-saving vaccines we pander to the lowest of lowest common denominators, framing public policy not in the best interests of society, but instead taking little or no steps to even protect our children, lest we anger the illogical, ill-behaved and illegitimate minority, things have gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Every day I wake up hoping we’ve come to our senses. Every night I go to sleep emotionally drained and spiritually exhausted.

And yet the drumbeat of selfish immaturity marches on, in perfect lockstep with the virus that continues to cause so much sorrow and uncertainty. How anyone can fail to see how the two are inseparable and intertwined completely escapes me.

Earlier someone expressed unhappiness that those refusing to take responsible steps for the common good are being ostracized and ridiculed. Again I say that people are free to express their opinions, but should reasonably expect blowback from others when those opinions are outside the bounds of mature and responsible civility, societal responsibility and simple common sense.

There are degrees of disagreement worthy of serious discussion, and my criticism is not aimed at those who wish to engage in such. But those intent on blindly refusing the validity of science and reason at this point — and after all this time — have had more than enough time in the spotlight. It’s time for the rest of society to simply move forward and move on. For everyone’s sake.
For most of my adult life, it’s been obvious to me that we are played against one another. What you see today is a clear manifestation of that. But it goes beyond the context of covid. “That’s all I have to say about that”

Rumrunner

I am living proof that the vaccine shots are not the be all end all. I had the shots from Pfizer and spent the last 5 days in the hospital after positive covid test.

I had a hard time and while would take the vaccine if I had to do it all over.The vaccine is not the end all be all and anyone that promotes that is just being political. There are a number of routes out of this pandemic-vaccines play a part-threatments herd immunity-etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

DC0703

I am living proof that the vaccine shots are not the be all end all. I had the shots from Pfizer and spent the last 5 days in the hospital after positive covid test.

I had a hard time and while would take the vaccine if I had to do it all over.The vaccine is not the end all be all and anyone that promotes that is just being political. There are a number of routes out of this pandemic-vaccines play a part-threatments herd immunity-etc.
e.
An overwhelming majority of the spread is coming from the unvaccinated. That is a sad fact. Breakthrough infections happen, but the insane spread in much of the U.S. right now is mostly coming from the unvaccinated. The hospitals are mostly overflowing with unvaccinated. This is not a political statement.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Nobody is claiming the vaccines are 100% effective. It’s well established that there will be breakthrough infections and in rare cases vaccinated people will end up hospitalized or even die. That being said the vaccines are highly effective and like all vaccines if the vast majority of people were vaccinated there would be no way for the virus to continue to spread. The MMR vaccine is not 100% effective but we rarely hear about breakthrough measles or mumps infections (they do happen, but are very rare) because 90%+ of the population is vaccinated so there aren’t large outbreaks and uncontrolled community spread. The vaccine is the easiest and the fastest way out of this pandemic.

Virtual Toad

Facts are facts.

Fact: If you are vaccinated you still have a small risk of getting the virus or giving it to others. Which is why many who are vaccinated are still in favor of following CDC guidance re: masks and distancing.

Fact: If you choose not to get vaccinated, you are at an exponentially higher risk of getting the virus and spreading it to others. Period.

Which— for the ten thousandth time— is why those who choose NOT not get vaccinated are being ridiculed. That also extends to those who choose to cast doubt about the effectiveness of the vaccines and the indisputable role of vaccinations in reducing the severity and spread of the virus.

This has nothing to do with politics. It has everything to do with facts— and the consequences are there for all to see. Including those who choose to follow science for the sake of the common good, and those who do not.

DisneyDebRob

I think we can reserve the Schadenfreude for the people who actively harm others by spreading anti-vax nonsense from a position of influence.

If the crazy QAnon lady who lives down the road from me and puts antivax posters in her windows, catches and dies of COVID-19, I'll pity her. She's a vulnerable individual who was led astray by those with malign purposes. I don't think anyone decided against vaccination because of the pre-school-level signs she displays.
I’m going to piggyback off of your post into something that happened to my wife and I and my parents out for lunch today. Fits perfectly I think.
We went to a small restaurant and only about 4 tables were full, middle of the afternoon. One table had a gentleman I would guess 65 or so with two ladies with him of the same age maybe a bit older. Anyway we sat down and as we looked over the menus the guy was loud enough for every person in the place to hear. It was intentional. He started with CNN and saying” Ever watch that channel with the experts saying to get the vaccination? They never tell you who the experts are. Only experts as they push this thing”. Then into “ My experts that I have heard from say that the vaccine will kill anyone who takes it in 5 years give or take.. and if you get the booster.. we’ll that cuts 2 years off that so in about 3 years they will die off”. Then on to “ Eric Clapton just wrote a anti vax song because he’s in the know.. he’s getting the word out”. That made me chuckle, have no idea why. Anyway he went on to the January 6th stuff and how Alex Jones was their with a bullhorn telling everyone to be calm but the media blew everything up.
At this point we didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. I felt bad for the 2 with him nodding their heads up and down but I’m guessing if I heard it in a tiny little restaurant in a small suburb, that it’s rampant around the country.
So I’m thinking most of us here have 5 years, soon to be 3 left in our lives and need to start making our disney reservations ! 🙂

LittleBuford

I’m going to piggyback off of your post into something that happened to my wife and I and my parents out for lunch today. Fits perfectly I think.
We went to a small restaurant and only about 4 tables were full, middle of the afternoon. One table had a gentleman I would guess 65 or so with two ladies with him of the same age maybe a bit older. Anyway we sat down and as we looked over the menus the guy was loud enough for every person in the place to hear. It was intentional. He started with CNN and saying” Ever watch that channel with the experts saying to get the vaccination? They never tell you who the experts are. Only experts as they push this thing”. Then into “ My experts that I have heard from say that the vaccine will kill anyone who takes it in 5 years give or take.. and if you get the booster.. we’ll that cuts 2 years off that so in about 3 years they will die off”. Then on to “ Eric Clapton just wrote a anti vax song because he’s in the know.. he’s getting the word out”. That made me chuckle, have no idea why. Anyway he went on to the January 6th stuff and how Alex Jones was their with a bullhorn telling everyone to be calm but the media blew everything up.
At this point we didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. I felt bad for the 2 with him nodding their heads up and down but I’m guessing if I heard it in a tiny little restaurant in a small suburb, that it’s rampant around the country.
So I’m thinking most of us here have 5 years, soon to be 3 left in our lives and need to start making our disney reservations ! 🙂
A quick search prompted by your post led me to this:

It’s beyond depressing that this kind of drivel is out there.

Heppenheimer

So, "the vaccines haven't been studied enough", but somehow some genius can see into the future and predict that the vaccines will kill half the vaccinated population within 5 years?

I'm going to make a prediction... in 100 years, nearly 100% of everyone who has thus far received the vaccine will be dead... but the control group will also demonstrate nearly 100% mortality as well.

correcaminos

That may be true but many people said that the heat kills covid. A few conspiracy loving members on the political thread regurgitated that nonsense.
To be fair that was based on the idea (and proven at some points) that coronaviruses don't spread as easily in heat and humidity. Doesn't mean they cannot spread, it's just a bit harder. Some people didn't quite understand what those studies meant and took it wrong I think?

I know I've mentioned it before, but I live in a state and school district where right now there is no virtual school option. All students have to attend normally. Also no mandatory mask requirement. As of today, my daughter has joined the 40% of the school population that within the first two weeks of school have been sent home on quarantine for being close to another student that became positive. 😭
So sorry. We got our 2nd quarantine notice of the year as well... this is our 3rd week - 2nd full week of the year. Fortunately we're vaccinated so school and stuff continues as normal. Best wishes to the family though.
The decision to take or not to take the vaccine is not political. Folks who say its political are the ones influenced by politics.
I totally agree with this!

Vegas Disney Fan

My company is clear its personal choice. But its a smaller company without the pressures of social warriors. We actually had to make a list so if clients want a vaxed individual they can have that but were not forcing it on anybody. Because thats just not good.

My company has made it clears it’s a personal choice also, while dangling dozens of carrots in front of people trying to entice them to get the vaccine since it directly affects our occupancy rates, I’ve also noticed a serious uptick in write ups in the last few weeks that seem to be hitting the few remaining unvaccinated holdouts disproportionately hard.

It seems our management team doesn’t want the headache of forcing medical decisions on employees but it also seems pretty clear certain people are currently under a microscope, it’s pretty easy to find a reason to fire people if you look hard enough.

lazyboy97o

My company has made it clears it’s a personal choice also, while dangling dozens of carrots in front of people trying to entice them to get the vaccine since it directly affects our occupancy rates, I’ve also noticed a serious uptick in write ups in the last few weeks that seem to be hitting the few remaining unvaccinated holdouts disproportionately hard.

It seems our management team doesn’t want the headache of forcing medical decisions on employees but it also seems pretty clear certain people are currently under a microscope, it’s pretty easy to find a reason to fire people if you look hard enough.
Or they could just have the guts to be honest and forthright instead of working to cook up excuses.

JoeCamel

Managers are pretty good at that

Vegas Disney Fan

Or they could just have the guts to be honest and forthright instead of working to cook up excuses.

They’ve offered extra paid days off, concert tickets, given away $100,000 in drawings, provided on site vaccinations, provided paid time off to get vaccinated and a recovery day… even gave $200 cash payments over the last 6 months…all while promising personal choice… then they announced unvaccinated employees wouldn’t be able to work partner events like concerts and banquets… all while promising personal choice… I think they’re now stuck between a rock and a hard place because they made a promise expecting more people to be sensible and they still haven’t reached the numbers we need for 100% occupancy.

Our owners have begged, pleaded, bribed, and done everything possible to make it happen voluntarily but it hasn’t been enough, everyone knows what’s at stake if we don’t hit the gaming control boards vaccination thresholds, you gotta accept if your personal choice affects business levels there will be repercussions.

DisneyDebRob

Wow so it really is a thing. I never googled it because I thought it was just some imaginary thing.Guess the mainstream media is hiding these facts.🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom