Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

It depends on the reason for the ER visit. I had a friend go to Tampa General last week with chest pains. She was seen immediately. Another person I know went with mild Covid symptoms and she was told the wait would be 13 hours.
Sounds about right, when I visited a loved one the line to get into the ER stretched out the door into the parking lot . Bring an umbrella to shield from the sun ( and daily rain ) , bottled water and a portable chair or wheelchair to wait it out.

carolina_yankee

ERs should still be doing triage, which means that those in the most danger should be seen the soonest. However, a hospital can only offer the care that is available. There is no denying it's getting tight in some places, which underscores the need to act with the common good in mind. These aren't random peaks in a busy single hospital that then go down in a few hours, they are hospitals across entire communities functioning at high levels for days or weeks in ways that taxes the system and exhausts the caregivers.

Vaccinate and mask, distance where spread is high.

It boggles the mind the amount of energy that people put into finding anything to do that isn't that, from self-dosing animal meds to scouring statistics to find a justification for not masking, vaxing, or something else.

Lilofan

ERs should still be doing triage, which means that those in the most danger should be seen the soonest. However, a hospital can only offer the care that is available. There is no denying it's getting tight in some places, which underscores the need to act with the common good in mind. These aren't random peaks in a busy single hospital that then go down in a few hours, they are hospitals across entire communities functioning at high levels for days or weeks in ways that taxes the system and exhausts the caregivers.

Vaccinate and mask, distance where spread is high.

It boggles the mind the amount of energy that people put into finding anything to do that isn't that, from self-dosing animal meds to scouring statistics to find a justification for not masking, vaxing, or something else.
Yes, ones with chest pains will be seen the soonest ( even that's debatable when in the ER ) just get ready to be seen on a stretcher in a crowded hallway with dozens of others in the same situations because of the other ER rooms are full of patients.

Incomudro

Whatever the percentage one should be aware of the ER wait times in hospitals in Tampa. According to Dr Paryani that works in a Tampa hospital as an oncologist, the current average wait time to get seen in the ER is 12 hours. According to Naples Daily News approx 68% of Florida hospitals are having critical staffing shortages.
Critical shortage of what staff?

Heppenheimer

It depends on the reason for the ER visit. I had a friend go to Tampa General last week with chest pains. She was seen immediately. Another person I know went with mild Covid symptoms and she was told the wait would be 13 hours.
Potential MIs or strokes have critical time windows when treatment needs to be initiated, so those patients will usually get immediate attention.

COVID? As long as they're oxygenating sufficiently and not in cardiorespiratory shock, they can wait.

GimpYancIent

Whatever the percentage one should be aware of the ER wait times in hospitals in Tampa. According to Dr Paryani that works in a Tampa hospital as an oncologist, the current average wait time to get seen in the ER is 12 hours. According to Naples Daily News approx 68% of Florida hospitals are having critical staffing shortages.
To be fair medical staffing shortages are not a COVID19 exclusive. Well before COVID19 shortages of medical personnel (nation wide) existed, particularly nurses.

DisneyCane

A worry for me or anyone else should be what happens if you get seriously ill or have an accident in florida on vacation right now? The anti vaxxers are taking up most of the total hospital capacity across the entire state.

I believe this is false, unless I am misunderstanding the statistics.

The daily Florida numbers are being posted here regularly. Last count was Covid patients account for 27.95% of all Florida hospital patients.
This is coming from somebody who has been accused of being a "COVID denier" in the past on this thread. While "most" of the hospital capacity isn't being taken up because of idiots who refuse to be vaccinated, enough of it is that it is causing issues, depending on the hospital and area of the state. It is definitely causing long ER wait times in a lot of places. As posted below, if somebody comes in with an immediate life threatening emergency, they will be tended to immediately.

Before Delta I was vocal in my opinion that everybody should be vaccinated who can be. I believed and still do that nobody should be forced to be vaccinated but choosing not to be is an incredibly stupid decision, especially with Delta as the dominant strain. Anybody who wouldn't want to reduce their chance of a serious illness from this disease by 90% is an idiot.

For those of you who are or know people who are still vaccine hesitant, let me share this (again as a supposed "COVID denier"). My wife helped out with treatment of COVID patients in the original wave and now. In the original wave the people she saw were either elderly or if they were younger they were almost always morbidly obese with other comorbidities. Now, the younger patients she's seen in the current wave (in FL) have been somewhat more healthy to begin with. Instead of morbidly obese, many are just overweight and although most have at least one of the common comorbidities, some haven't had any.

Most importantly, she said that some recent patients (including people under 40) have had the worst looking lungs that she's seen in her career. If you aren't vaccinated, get vaccinated and make it extremely unlikely for you to end up on a ventilator.

Timmay

This is coming from somebody who has been accused of being a "COVID denier" in the past on this thread. While "most" of the hospital capacity isn't being taken up because of idiots who refuse to be vaccinated, enough of it is that it is causing issues, depending on the hospital and area of the state. It is definitely causing long ER wait times in a lot of places. As posted below, if somebody comes in with an immediate life threatening emergency, they will be tended to immediately.

Before Delta I was vocal in my opinion that everybody should be vaccinated who can be. I believed and still do that nobody should be forced to be vaccinated but choosing not to be is an incredibly stupid decision, especially with Delta as the dominant strain. Anybody who wouldn't want to reduce their chance of a serious illness from this disease by 90% is an idiot.

For those of you who are or know people who are still vaccine hesitant, let me share this (again as a supposed "COVID denier"). My wife helped out with treatment of COVID patients in the original wave and now. In the original wave the people she saw were either elderly or if they were younger they were almost always morbidly obese with other comorbidities. Now, the younger patients she's seen in the current wave (in FL) have been somewhat more healthy to begin with. Instead of morbidly obese, many are just overweight and although most have at least one of the common comorbidities, some haven't had any.

Most importantly, she said that some recent patients (including people under 40) have had the worst looking lungs that she's seen in her career. If you aren't vaccinated, get vaccinated and make it extremely unlikely for you to end up on a ventilator.
I agree with all of this. My only point was the assertion was false. It doesn’t diminish the current struggle in any way. Get vaccinated.

mmascari

I believe this is false, unless I am misunderstanding the statistics.

The daily Florida numbers are being posted here regularly. Last count was Covid patients account for 27.95% of all Florida hospital patients.
You’re misunderstanding the statistic and it’s impact on hospital capacity.

COVID doesn't need to be most to be causing an impact. It’s relatively new compared to hospital's capacity and ability to adjust. The percent of COVID patients just needs to be larger than the free capacity in the system for longer than the system can handle the surge. There’s no way systems were running with over a quarter, 25%, excess capacity all the time. With COVID consuming that much capacity over a relatively long time, not just a few days, there’s no slack left in the system.

Think of it like a house sump pump. The pump is sized for normal ground water. Add some excess for a heavy rain. Some extra safety margin for a couple day storm or a short hurricane. Then, when a slow moving storm dumps heavy rain for 2 weeks and there is 500 year flood levels, the pump isn’t enough anymore. Bonus, when it fails, other systems start to fail to knock on effects.

Timmay

You’re misunderstanding the statistic and it’s impact on hospital capacity.

COVID doesn't need to be most to be causing an impact. It’s relatively new compared to hospital's capacity and ability to adjust. The percent of COVID patients just needs to be larger than the free capacity in the system for longer than the system can handle the surge. There’s no way systems were running with over a quarter, 25%, excess capacity all the time. With COVID consuming that much capacity over a relatively long time, not just a few days, there’s no slack left in the system.

Think of it like a house sump pump. The pump is sized for normal ground water. Add some excess for a heavy rain. Some extra safety margin for a couple day storm or a short hurricane. Then, when a slow moving storm dumps heavy rain for 2 weeks and there is 500 year flood levels, the pump isn’t enough anymore. Bonus, when it fails, other systems start to fail to knock on effects.
I’m not misunderstanding the impact on hospital capacity. I’ve said as much. Move on.

Lilofan

I agree with all of this. My only point was the assertion was false. It doesn’t diminish the current struggle in any way. Get vaccinated.
I agree and for the few that are stubborn , get vaccinated or you may get fired if refusing to obey new company policy.

matt9112

Which makes me very happy, our Republic was founded to get away from rule by a single person, over the last year way to many politicians have overstepped their boundaries and become dictators rather than parts in a machine that has checks and balances.

The sooner we get away from emergency orders/declarations and back to a Democratic Republic the better.

Irony is how you feel this way but it still marginalizes groups of people....emergency orders will be the norm. Gots to keep everyone safe from themselves.

matt9112

I agree and for the few that are stubborn , get vaccinated or you may get fired if refusing to obey new company policy.

My company is clear its personal choice. But its a smaller company without the pressures of social warriors. We actually had to make a list so if clients want a vaxed individual they can have that but were not forcing it on anybody. Because thats just not good.

The Mrs

Potential MIs or strokes have critical time windows when treatment needs to be initiated, so those patients will usually get immediate attention.

COVID? As long as they're oxygenating sufficiently and not in cardiorespiratory shock, they can wait.
what does Mls mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom