Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Note the 31,164 is a combined total from Saturday/Sunday -

"Florida on Monday reported 31,164 more COVID-19 cases and 902 deaths to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, according to Miami Herald calculations of CDC data.

All but eight of the newly reported deaths occurred after Aug. 2, with 70% of those people dying in the last two weeks, according to Herald calculations of data published by the CDC. The majority of deaths happened during Florida’s latest surge in COVID-19 cases, fueled by the delta variant."

"In the last seven days, on average, the state has added 262 deaths and 21,301 cases each day, according to Herald calculations.

The jump in the number of reported cases and deaths is due to the newest way deaths and cases are counted and the agency not reporting numbers on Sundays. The numbers include totals from the two weekend days."

"There were 15,788 people hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida on Monday, according to data reported to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services from 257 Florida hospitals. That is 10 more patients than Sunday’s COVID patient population, putting an end to a four-day streak of total hospitalized COVID patients decreasing.

COVID-19 patients also accounted for 27.45% of all hospital patients.

Of the people hospitalized in Florida, 3,494 were in intensive care unit beds, an increase of 17. That represents 53.12% of the state’s ICU hospital beds from 257 hospitals reporting."

KrzyKtty

I know I've mentioned it before, but I live in a state and school district where right now there is no virtual school option. All students have to attend normally. Also no mandatory mask requirement. As of today, my daughter has joined the 40% of the school population that within the first two weeks of school have been sent home on quarantine for being close to another student that became positive. 😭

yonafunu

Crap, I was hoping it'd be down that far/no masks in early November.
In fact i'm betting it will be good in november for the no mask. Just my 2cents.
14 days rolling has per definition a big inertia.

We will probably have periods of no mask/indoor masks for a long time.

Heelz2315

In fact i'm betting it will be good in november for the no mask. Just my 2cents.
14 days rolling has per definition a big inertia.

We will probably have periods of no mask/indoor masks for a long time.

Man I hope you're right, but at this point I'll believe it when I see it. My faith in this coming to an end is about gone.

Virtual Toad

I know I've mentioned it before, but I live in a state and school district where right now there is no virtual school option. All students have to attend normally. Also no mandatory mask requirement. As of today, my daughter has joined the 40% of the school population that within the first two weeks of school have been sent home on quarantine for being close to another student that became positive. 😭
Best wishes to you, your daughter and family. I know it has to be frustrating and a bit scary. Cases and quarantines have hit a point in our younger child’s school where the board is holding an emergency meeting to discuss possible changes (hopefully masks, better social distancing and virtual learning). Missing out on lessons due to quarantine is hurting academic progress and slowing down the curriculum for everyone. Another side effect of the pandemic that’s taking a toll on our kids.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It was on this thread too. It was certainly a hope/hypothesis, just one that turned out to be untrue.
Yeah. Kinda like the flu not really being a thing during the warm months.
I remember when we were worried about transmission from hard surfaces. How it could live on surfaces for days. That all turned out to be nada.
Also remember when outdoor transmission was supposed to be close to 10% of all cases when it was actually less than 1%.

mmascari

In the past waves is that how long it has taken?
The FL positivity has tended to follow case trends.

Remember, positivity is really a measure of if enough tracing and tracking down of cases is being done. If the testing being done is focused on finding as many cases as possible. The high number will tend to mean that not enough is being done and we don't know where spread is occurring. A low number will tend to mean we're testing enough people to rule them out after determining an exposure even if they're not showing symptoms. If we could tell without testing if someone was positive and only test those who were positive, this would be different. Likewise, if we just do purely random testing without any tracing, we might get a lower number, but it'll be more reflective of community spread than if we're tracking down cases well. It's not really a great number to base mitigation actions on. It's a very good number to determine contract tracing effectiveness.

From the yellow line in these charts, to me it looks like FL is basically just reflecting community spread not trying to find cases, and not doing it very well. PA looks like it had some better and worse times, but still not great. The MA graph is much better, looks like some focused testing to contain and drive down cases. The DC graph is even better. DC is of course much smaller than most states and may be more appropriate to compare to a city. It may also have a bunch of federal guideline impacting it's testing.

FL-Positivity.png

PA-Positivity.png

MA-Positivity.png

DC-Positivity.png

All the charts show the disaster that was testing in early 2020.

Heppenheimer

Are we only insulting anti vaccine people who die from Covid-19 or are we taking a dump on everyone who dies from it?
I think we can reserve the Schadenfreude for the people who actively harm others by spreading anti-vax nonsense from a position of influence.

If the crazy QAnon lady who lives down the road from me and puts antivax posters in her windows, catches and dies of COVID-19, I'll pity her. She's a vulnerable individual who was led astray by those with malign purposes. I don't think anyone decided against vaccination because of the pre-school-level signs she displays.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think we can reserve the Schadenfreude for the people who actively harm others by spreading anti-vax nonsense from a position of influence.

If the crazy QAnon lady who lives down the road from me and puts antivax posters in her windows, catches and dies of COVID-19, I'll pity her. She's a vulnerable individual who was led astray by those with malign purposes. I don't think anyone decided against vaccination because of the pre-school-level signs she displays.
Well... misspelled signs actually *do* get my attention...

draybook

So you're selectively expressing remorse and hate. Just say so, no need for the novel.

I got my vaccine but I'll still have sympathy for the dead, regardless of their notions.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So you're selectively expressing remorse and hate. Just say so, no need for the novel.

I got my vaccine but I'll still have sympathy for the dead, regardless of their notions.
I think it’s tragic every time someone dies from this virus. I do feel some anger (not sure I’d call it hate) when I see people dying now because almost all of the recent deaths were preventable if people just got the damn vaccine. I feel sorry for their loved ones and angry at the situation in general and even angry at the individuals for making a poor choice. I certainly don’t wish death on anyone or celebrate it when it happens but I think it’s possible to both feel sympathy and a little bit of anger for the people who chose to put themselves in this situation.

Daveyploo

I wish we could all be on the same page and if able to, roll up those sleeves and get the shot to defeat this. If some still want their personal freedoms let them have it and they will pay for it one way or the other.

I would be all for personal freedom of choice to not get the vaccine if 1) They didn't then insist on relying on the same modern medicine they scorned before they caught it and take up ICU beds, 2) they didn't pass it on to other folks who, for whatever legitimate reason, can't get vaccinated and finally 3) didn't continue to let Covid be a thing and give it a chance to mutate further and further, possibly requiring constant upgrades to vaccines in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:

Casper Gutman

Can they not walk? Are they in a machine all day just to not die? I guess crippling can be interpreted differently. Look im just pointing out the factual substance that makes comparing polio to rona absurd.
In 1916, the worst year of the 20th century, 7,130 Americans died of Polio. In one year, over 600,000 Americans have died of Corona. So the comparison is absurd, but not in the way you think.

Last edited:

Virtual Toad

I’m just so tired of watching the nation I grew up with mutate into a hot divided mess. When grown adults see fit to call science a hoax; when it’s even remotely acceptable to scream at school board members and chase them to their cars; when in spite of life-saving vaccines we pander to the lowest of lowest common denominators, framing public policy not in the best interests of society, but instead taking little or no steps to even protect our children, lest we anger the illogical, ill-behaved and illegitimate minority, things have gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Every day I wake up hoping we’ve come to our senses. Every night I go to sleep emotionally drained and spiritually exhausted.

And yet the drumbeat of selfish immaturity marches on, in perfect lockstep with the virus that continues to cause so much sorrow and uncertainty. How anyone can fail to see how the two are inseparable and intertwined completely escapes me.

Earlier someone expressed unhappiness that those refusing to take responsible steps for the common good are being ostracized and ridiculed. Again I say that people are free to express their opinions, but should reasonably expect blowback from others when those opinions are outside the bounds of mature and responsible civility, societal responsibility and simple common sense.

There are degrees of disagreement worthy of serious discussion, and my criticism is not aimed at those who wish to engage in such. But those intent on blindly refusing the validity of science and reason at this point — and after all this time — have had more than enough time in the spotlight. It’s time for the rest of society to simply move forward and move on. For everyone’s sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom