Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

They’ve offered extra paid days off, concert tickets, given away $100,000 in drawings, provided on site vaccinations, provided paid time off to get vaccinated and a recovery day… even gave $200 cash payments over the last 6 months…all while promising personal choice… then they announced unvaccinated employees wouldn’t be able to work partner events like concerts and banquets… all while promising personal choice… I think they’re now stuck between a rock and a hard place because they made a promise expecting more people to be sensible and they still haven’t reached the numbers we need for 100% occupancy.

Our owners have begged, pleaded, bribed, and done everything possible to make it happen voluntarily but it hasn’t been enough, everyone knows what’s at stake if we don’t hit the gaming control boards vaccination thresholds, you gotta accept if your personal choice affects business levels there will be repercussions.
Personal choice does affect job performance. In some roles, business / client meetings are conducted off site ( ie NYC restaurants ). Try doing your job and being refused entry because you are unvaccinated and or going business trips where some locations do not accept unvaccinated customers.

Last edited by a moderator:

LaughingGravy

Or they could just have the guts to be honest and forthright instead of working to cook up excuses.
It's called "At Will" employment and cooking up excuses keeps them out of any legal trouble.
Independent of the vaccine situation, but now probably now including it by (ahem..cough) coincidence...
It happens a lot with older employees who get put into an "improvement plan" that only 10% of employees entered ever get out of besides being canned. It demonstrates the company made the effort, but somehow it just didn't work out, sorry.

Touchdown

I personally like my employer’s choice to issue a non mandate mandate. Vaccines aren’t mandatory, however, if you are unvaccinated you must:

-Log into a symptom checker and answer symptom questions every day including your off days
-Submit to weekly testing (no word yet on if you have to pay for that)
-Wear an N95 mask in all clinical areas at all times (trust me if you hate regular masks, you simply must try the mouth and nose sauna that smells like bad breath and BO after 2 days)
-Must eat lunch alone in an empty room (if you can get one) or your car (if you cannot.)
-Sign a contract acknowledging that you will be fired if you fail to follow these rules

Basically it will be extremely onerous to comply with these requirements. It is highly unlikely all but a few will put up with this for very long, and already a vast majority of the holdouts have started to get vaccinated. That way you have no uproar over religious exemptions, no scrambling to find a medical exemption, just compliance.

And as for the few with actual medical reasons, they should be happy they will get a guaranteed N95 mask, this will actually protect them better at work.

lazyboy97o

It's called "At Will" employment and cooking up excuses keeps them out of any legal trouble.
Independent of the vaccine situation, but now probably now including it by (ahem..cough) coincidence...
It happens a lot with older employees who get put into an "improvement plan" that only 10% of employees entered ever get out of besides being canned. It demonstrates the company made the effort, but somehow it just didn't work out, sorry.
There is no legal trouble with requiring vaccines. There is potential legal trouble in cooking up excuses and being dishonest.

Last edited by a moderator:

LaughingGravy

I personally like my employer’s choice to issue a non mandate mandate. Vaccines aren’t mandatory, however, if you are unvaccinated you must:

-Log into a symptom checker and answer symptom questions every day including your off days
-Submit to weekly testing (no word yet on if you have to pay for that)
-Wear an N95 mask in all clinical areas at all times (trust me if you hate regular masks, you simply must try the mouth and nose sauna that smells like bad breath and BO after 2 days)
-Must eat lunch alone in an empty room (if you can get one) or your car (if you cannot.)
-Sign a contract acknowledging that you will be fired if you fail to follow these rules

Basically it will be extremely onerous to comply with these requirements. It is highly unlikely all but a few will put up with this for very long, and already a vast majority of the holdouts have started to get vaccinated. That way you have no uproar over religious exemptions, no scrambling to find a medical exemption, just compliance.

And as for the few with actual medical reasons, they should be happy they will get a guaranteed N95 mask, this will actually protect them better at work.
It's funny how it all comes down to a hit in the wallet, similar to the increased medical costs some companies are doing.
There's the great inconvenience and being ostracized eating in the car, but the threat of being canned for non compliance is a motivator.

Heppenheimer

Now that employers are starting to bring the hammer down, our clinic has seen a trickle of requests for vaccine medical exemptions. All the requests have been extremely dubious- someone reported their uncle had a episode of Guillan-Barre syndrome 40 years ago, a claim that because a patient "beat pneumonia" without antibiotics their immune system is obviously strong enough to not need a vaccine, a history of fever with the pneumovax, a history of "chronic Lyme disease" (not an actual thing, BTW), a household member who has cancer, a history of an "autoimmune disease" (low thyroid). We seem to get a new request daily. None of these requests have been granted and I suspect that none will be granted moving forward. One of the requests came from someone who just last week I practically begged to get the vaccine. Hmm, did no portion of that 15 minute conversation we had sink in?

LaughingGravy

Now that employers are starting to bring the hammer down, our clinic has seen a trickle of requests for vaccine medical exemptions. All the requests have been extremely dubious- someone reported their uncle had a episode of Guillan-Barre syndrome 40 years ago, a claim that because a patient "beat pneumonia" without antibiotics their immune system is obviously strong enough to not need a vaccine, a history of fever with the pneumovax, a history of "chronic Lyme disease" (not an actual thing, BTW), a household member who has cancer, a history of an "autoimmune disease" (low thyroid). We seem to get a new request daily. None of these requests have been granted and I suspect that none will be granted moving forward. One of the requests came from someone who just last week I practically begged to get the vaccine. Hmm, did no portion of that 15 minute conversation we had sink in?
I hope the dubious applications are
indeed not granted. Good for that. But some really determined may find a more "friendly" clinic.
Good for your leadership there.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Please continue to share ridiculous excuses.

Heppenheimer

I hope the dubious applications are
indeed are not granted. Good for that. But some really determined may find a more "friendly" clinic.
Good for your leadership there.
Probably not around here. In this rural corner of a very rural state, there aren't exactly an excess of primary care clinics. It's generally a 4-8 week turnaround time to switch clinics, and some aren't even taking new patients currently.

There's probably always a naturopath who will write anything the patient wants, but I'm not sure how seriously most employers would take this, particularly if there's a suspiciously high number of exemption letters coming from the same individual.

Touchdown

There are currently only two fully FDA approved medications for the prevention and treatment of COVID 19:

1. The Pfizer Vaccine for adults >18 years old

2. Remdesivir-an antiviral iv medication given 1 a day for 5 days for anyone hospitalized with Covid.

Every other therapy is given via an EUA (monoclonal antibodies, other vaccines) or is off label (dexamethasone, IL-6 inhibitors, ivermectin, hydroxychorolquine, etc.) If you are restricting yourself to only therapies fully authorized by the FDA for treatment of Covid 19 you only have two options, and remdesivir has its best chance of working when it’s paired with dexamethasone, which again is only given off label based on observational studies and the knowledge that steroid treatment usually improve lung inflammation (it’s the drug class we treat asthma and COPD exacerbation s with.)

mf1972

i just found out before leaving work last night 2 people i work with were granted their medical exemptions from getting the vaccine. it totally pi**ed me off because i know these 2 people are completely full of it. when my hospital made getting the vaccine mandatory, they both complained about it since day 1 & vowed to fight it. 1 of them had covid 2 months ago, & the other is a single mom with a 9 year old.
i usually respect ones choice for the vaccine, but not this time. as far as i’m concerned they’re completely selfish & pose a risk not only to themselves, but to others as well. i can only hope they eventually realize the choice they’ve made, but i doubt it.

Chi84

Premium Member
"At will" employment means there is no legal trouble; you can be fired for a good reason, a bad reason or no reason at all unless you fall into a protected class. The older employees you are referring to are in a class that is protected against discrimination based on age.

Disstevefan1

Yeah, you are very wrong on this. Now, maybe not everyone who decides to forgo taking the vaccine does so because of politics but a large portion of people do it exactly because of politics and the talking heads who spew lies On tv and the radio.
Not very wrong on this. Some folks may decide based on politics alone, some may decide based on personal reasons, some on religious reasons, some on medical reasons, some really drill down on the science (not just what the mainstream media says) and decide.

Therefore, to be fair, reality is somewhere in the middle.

BTW, I know people who are true orange man haters that are also reluctant to get the vaccine.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good news! Florida takes unprecedented steps to protect its schoolchildren from... oh wait. Instead, state education officials follow through on their promise to withhold money from school districts who attempted to safeguard their children. In spite of a judge’s ruling that banning those safeguards was illegal:

“Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran announced Monday that the state Department of Education has withheld funds from the Alachua and Broward county school districts in amounts equal to school board members’ monthly salaries.”

The sad part is there will be permanent damage done to the school systems in FL and it may take years to recover. They are losing good teachers that they definitely need. My FIL has been a school teacher for many years in FL. He retired several years ago and his principal contacted him last year and begged him to come back. He took a job teaching virtually last school year since they had a large virtual program in the district. This year they decided to cancel the virtual program and only have in person school. He took an in person position at a high school and was hoping for the best. Then delta came and the district did not require masks for students. He resigned after the first few days of school since the majority of students were unmasked and likely unvaccinated too based on stats in the area for that age group. I think he’s probably going to stay retired this time. He knows 3 other teachers from that 1 school who also quit. They were younger than him so didn’t retire but 2 moved to another state to teach and the third took a job outside of education. Even before Covid most of FL was desperate for more good teachers and this poor treatment of teachers certainly won’t help.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"At will" employment means there is no legal trouble; you can be fired for a good reason, a bad reason or no reason at all unless you fall into a protected class. The older employees you are referring to are in a class that is protected against discrimination based on age.
This is 100% true. Many people falsely believe that they have some constitutionally protected right to work where they choose. Any at will employee has the right to quit at any time for any reason or no reason at all and the employer has the same right to fire you for any reason at all unless that reason is discriminatory against a protected class. The unvaccinated are not a protected class. If the company makes it a policy that you have to be vaccinated to work there the only way they will get into “legal trouble” will be if they don’t apply the rule uniformly across all employees. So if they only fire women or the elderly or baptists who aren’t vaccinated then they will be open to a lawsuit. If they fire everyone who isn’t vaccinated there’s no legal issue whatsoever.

Chi84

Premium Member
This is 100% true. Many people falsely believe that they have some constitutionally protected right to work where they choose. Any at will employee has the right to quit at any time for any reason or no reason at all and the employer has the same right to fire you for any reason at all unless that reason is discriminatory against a protected class. The unvaccinated are not a protected class. If the company makes it a policy that you have to be vaccinated to work there the only way they will get into “legal trouble” will be if they don’t apply the rule uniformly across all employees. So if they only fire women or the elderly or baptists who aren’t vaccinated then they will be open to a lawsuit. If they fire everyone who isn’t vaccinated there’s no legal issue whatsoever.
This is generally the case. There can be situations in which companies create employee rights by way of "contract" in the form of an employee handbook that sets out procedures to be followed, but these rarely provide a basis for wrongful termination. Most employers do not fire employees for no reason at all because that would be irrational and a poor way to run a business. But you are absolutely correct that people erroneously believe the law protects them from losing a job in ways that it just simply does not.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Some would probably still sue. But that is inevitable...
Anyone can file a lawsuit for anything they want. Most will be thrown out before ever reaching a trial. There are years and years of employment law that support this. It’s air tight. The lawsuits that get through will be an attempt to claim discrimination based on a protected class and those will almost always fail too. It’s very difficult to win one of those lawsuits when you have a legit claim let alone a trumped up claim (no pun intended;))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom