Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaughingGravy

Intended or not, there is ableism in this...I am thinking of high risk children who have difficulties wearing cloth masks, much less N95s. AS the studies have shown (and I believe I posted earlier in this thread), people with autism/ID/DD are at significantly higher risk of death if they contract Covid, and yet they are also populations that have a significantly harder time with masking for various reasons (including sensory processing disorders, etc).

It is not feasible - or healthy in numerous ways - for the main answer to be "well, they just need to fully isolate then."
There's no great solution to this. Those high risk mentioned above, unfortunately, may very well die from this if they are not able to isolate. They can try to minimize by wearing masks, but it's not the same as isolating, which is of course difficult for so many other reasons.
The sooner the more of us get vaccinated, the sooner this will be over and those high risk children can increase their participation.

I know someone who got vaxxed way back when, in March or April ( early Boomer Got The Vax), who only now knows someone directly affected with Covid (they travel in small circles), and it was practically written to me as a revelation since they were in the,"I'll get vaccinated to make you happy, but I still think this is overblown" camp.

DisneyCane

Current vaccination status for Orange County via Mayor Demings -

View attachment 583513

The 14-day rolling positivity rate is 17.86%.
The OC vaccination rate is pretty terrible to be honest (although the State data has it a little higher at 69%). Miami-Dade is similarly "light blue" and has a huge black and Hispanic population and is currently at 86% eligible with at least one shot. With the effort that OC has put into it, I don't see how you classify their vaccination campaign as anything other than an abject failure.

Angel Ariel

There's no great solution to this. Those high risk mentioned above, unfortunately, may very well die from this if they are not able to isolate. They can try to minimize by wearing masks, but it's not the same as isolating, which is of course difficult for so many other reasons.
The sooner the more of us get vaccinated, the sooner this will be over and those high risk children can increase their participation.

I know someone who got vaxxed way back when, in March or April ( early Boomer Got The Vax), who only now knows someone directly affected with Covid (they travel in small circles), and it was practically written to me as a revelation since they were in the,"I'll get vaccinated to make you happy, but I still think this is overblown" camp.
I don't disagree that there are no awesome solutions. Certainly nothing foolproof. But it is ableist to assume that this population is able to fully isolate, which is the point that I was getting at. They also have jobs (as not all are children), have medical needs, have educational or mental health needs that require them to be in public.

I'm all on board for vax mandates for those able to be vaxxed.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That’s still true, eventually. Also if you check out deltas mortality around the world, you’ll notice it’s decreased (but of course vaccinations helped that.)
Not true.

Of course if a virus is very and immediately deadly, it will quickly run out of hosts and then maybe a milder variant will persist in the population that's left.

But various deadly plagues have persisted for hundreds and hundreds of years without winding up to be like a common cold. When will bubonic plague "eventually" stop being deadly? Why didn't Small Pox "eventually" become just a rash?

Flu viruses can become suddenly more deadly (Spanish Flu, Swine Flu).

A virus that starts off mild and very infectious can very easily suddenly turn into a deadly variant. To not be aware of that and claim it will get better automatically is just wrong. And this myth has been used by deniers to justify anti-vax and anti-mask stances.

Kevin_W

Here's hoping we are turning the corner:
1630341628950.png

ArmoredRodent

In the world of weird effects from Covid-19, a new August 25 study out from Univ. Calif. Irvine Profs. Jonathan Cervas and Bernard Grofman in the Social Science Quarterly projects that New York State just lost a seat in Congress and Minnesota gained one because of deaths from Covid. And the difference in losing and winning a congressional seat was tiny: 89 people in NY, which as NY times columnist Denise Lu pointed out, is about the size of a NY subway car (or less-than-packed Disney bus).

From the summary of abstract:
"While there are a host of factors that plausibly affected New York's congressional allotment in the 2020 census—including interstate migration, inadequate census outreach, low rates of census compliance (especially by minorities), as well as the particular rule adopted for reapportionment of the U.S. House of Representatives in 1941 (Balinski & Young, 1982; Balinski & Young, 2001; Owens, 1921), we show that there is an indubitable villain that both Democrats and Republicans in New York can agree to blame; namely COVID-19. This villain alone was enough to cost New York its 27th seat, which is 3.5 percent of its political clout. But it is only New York (on the losing side) and Minnesota (on the winning side) whose House delegation size was directly affected by the pandemic."

Note: those projections were based on Census figures and thus don't reflect the current Delta-caused distortions in impacts. But Cervas and Grofman did try to see if that might have made a difference through later adjustment, and suggest that it did not (in ways that were, kind of, discussed in this and other threads here in the contexts of differential impacts on various demographic and political communities):
"In the early phases of the pandemic the states that were most heavily hit were ones with substantial minority population concentrated in large cities. The deaths disproportionately occurred in states that voted for Joe Biden. Recently, death rates have been higher in mostly rural states that voted for Donald Trump, especially in states where the state government is under firm Republican control. By and large, these are the states where the vaccination rates are the lowest and past efforts to control the virus have been the least aggressive in terms of social distancing and mask requirements.10 We thought it might be possible that changes in the distribution of COVID-19 death rates since April 1, 2020 might have given us some different apportionment results if the apportionment base was taken to be the initial population counts minus COVID-19 deaths; we reran the apportionment subtracting COVID-19 deaths since April 1, 2020, as an adjustment to the census numbers. But we find that nothing changes from the official apportionment, including New York losing a seat and Minnesota gaining it."

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Updated one week trends for some of the other larger states. Seem to be moving in the right direction....

CA
1630342061807.png

TX
1630342047718.png

NY
1630342081806.png

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
#winning

Darn...heard this was coming. It is a non-binding agreement so EU countries could still make their own rules, like allowing for vaccinated non-essential travel from the US. The article states this too...

Lilofan

I agree that the US only has themselves to blame...well, at least the intentionally unvaccinated to blame.
Correct, it is the pandemic of the unvaccinated. Hopefully with the FDA approval of Pfizer, companies going the get vaccinated or lose your job route, unvaccinated seeing their vacations options are getting more limited, this may push the percentages of anti-vaxxers who are healthy enough to roll up their sleeves and come to get a grip on reality . Kudos to Delta Air Lines in advising the staff who refuse to get vaccinated that their respective insurance rates will go up. The vaccinated staff insurance rates will remain the same.

Disney Experience

Well polio (before the vaccine) had a mortality rate of 15-30% in adults. 5% in children. Furthermore a third of those that survived would be crippled for life.

As of the latest covid us numbers the mortality rate is less than 2% and theres no crippling effect to those that recover. So polio in the best case scenario (in children) is 3x deadlier and in adults much more so. We also have to look at the fact that the elderly are the majority of covid deaths. In lower age brackets the chance of death is minimal. Furthermore we know the reported cases are less than the actual case count so covid is even less deadly than these numbers suggest.

Hardly apples to apples. Spanish flu is probably a better like for like like analogy and even that was far deadlier.
But i mean sure? If you say so?
Polio only moved from the gut into the CNS ( Central Nervous System) in 1 out of 200 cases. Once in CNS then the numbers you gave apply to that subset of cases.

So poliomyelitis (Polio) mortality rate for those infected is/was for adults 0.15% not 30%. Polio was nevertheless something people gladly accepted being vaccinated for and the risk of paralysis or death from Polio frightened people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom