News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

durangojim

I don't have time to watch the video but does it imply CM's will be actually acting on the ride? Another non Disney website is stating that, which I find hard to believe.

Bleed0range

Maybe it's our nostalgia and cynicism that keeps us coming back.

Cynicism is never a great trait. Nostalgia is fine but it’s happening whether you like it or not so might as well be optimistic about it. The ride needs some kind of update whether it is rethemed or not and WDI have made some really great attractions in the past several years.

But all you see around here is complaining about every change they make. When it comes to stuff like Genie + I agree, but the rides they’ve changed or removed have made sense and the stuff they’ve built has been of stellar quality. ROTR is as good as Pirates to me. It’s the modern day equivalent. It’s hard to take people seriously who seem to naysay such an attraction.

Not everything will stay as it is forever and that’s always been true in the parks.

91JLovesDisney

But all you see around here is complaining about every change they make. When it comes to stuff like Genie + I agree, but the rides they’ve changed or removed have made sense and the stuff they’ve built has been of stellar quality. ROTR is as good as Pirates to me. It’s the modern day equivalent. It’s hard to take people seriously who seem to naysay such an attraction.

Not everything will stay as it is forever and that’s always been true in the parks.
I don't necessarily hate everything Disney changes. I prefer MMRR to Great Movie Ride, I prefer Incredicoaster to California Screaming,and I actually prefer the film-update to potc in 2006. I'm sure all those changes were debatable when they were announced, but now they've turned out to be great!

HOWEVER, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that this PATF refurb will be a less enjoyable ride than Splash Mountain, and as previously stated, not even a tiny BIT of my is excited for it. This type of refurb, one that happens because the ride is 'racist' or 'culturally outdated' isn't the same to me.

CJR

I still think they should build this is DHS. Keep it flume too, no reason why WDW couldn't have two of them.

It's not going to happen, but that is what should happen. DHS could use both a water ride and a real capacity boost, one that doesn't make up for previously lost capacity.

Artemicon

I prefer MMRR to Great Movie Ride
I know this isn't the place for this, so I won't reply to your answer, but I'm curious what makes you prefer MMRR over TGMR.

To keep it on track, I agree with most of what else you said, but I think we should be able to separate song of the south from the ride, and just enjoy a good fun ride for what it is since I would bet a large amount of people wouldn't know song of the south existed if people didn't bring it up.

dsinclair

HOWEVER, there is NO DOUBT in my mind that this PATF refurb will be a less enjoyable ride than Splash Mountain, and as previously stated, not even a tiny BIT of my is excited for it. This type of refurb, one that happens because the ride is 'racist' or 'culturally outdated' isn't the same to me.
It is definitely true that when someone is hell bent on hating something before experiencing it it is without doubt that they won't enjoy it.

Incomudro

I'm excited for the Princess and the Frog retheme.

I will say though, there wasn't much said in the video to get people hyped. They just spoke for 30 minutes on the power of representation, inclusivity, and feeling seen, etc. This is all well in good, but it doesn't really do much to showcase the more thrilling or storytelling aspects of Splash Mountain — the type of thing that makes one want to hop on the log in the first place. It very much felt like a PR move to prevent those who petitioned for the retheme from stirring up drama in the media. It's just a bland reminder that the retheme is still going to happen. Disney wants the news on the SPlash Mountain retheme to be positive. Disney doesn't want headlines to read: "Disney silent on Princess and the Frog attraction" or "Disney keeps up RACIST ride after promising change."
And therein lies the potential problem when it comes to things like this.
It (the ride, movie, tv show or whatever else the subject may be) has got to be good first.
Inclusivity, diversity, etc., etc., don't make anything good in and of themselves. Well, some portion of people who dwell on that stuff will find that to be enough, but the vast majority won't.
Make a product that is entertaining and amazing on it's own merit at the core.

TikibirdLand

The delusional self-importance of the people in the "revealing details" video is astounding. "Tiana's powerful story." "We want to honor her heritage." "Princess week!" blah blah blah.

People....it's a cartoon princess and a cartoon frog. Get over yourselves.

That being said, when is this thing actually happening? I couldn't stomach the whole video. Do we assume sometime AFTER the 50th celebration?
Sorry. I listened to the whole video. I think they made some good points. I'll be sad to see Splash Mountain to go away and wish they had dedicated a NEW ride to Princess and the Frog (and we REALLY NEED more rides). But, Disney lacks racial diversity on both film and in the parks and has for a very long time. The story they told (I realize it was for dramatic effect) about the 3 yr old pulling at Tiana's dress makes me think of my own daughter who didn't relate to any of the princesses. Was it because of skin color? I'm not sure. Frankly, the deck is stacked WRT white female princesses throughout TDO's history. I'd rather see them give a few of the up. I pick Aurora to demote. She doesn't have an attraction anyway.

Long story short... I'm looking forward to the re-theme. From that conversation, I think they'll do it justice. If anything, the video makes sure plenty of people -- on both sides of the fence -- will be watching.

rreading

You know...... Most of us used to be excited when a new attraction was announced. Not so much anymore. Is that a reflection of us or TWDC?

I guess you're new here. :D

Maelstrom was a second-tier ride. Great Movie Ride was outdated and should/could have been updated but something had to be done with it.

This one takes one of the still-great three mountains of MK to put in this:
Original art by “The Princess and the Frog” director John Musker, courtesy of Dooky Chase’s Restaurant

Seriously?!

EPCOT-O.G.

Here's where I generally find myself:
  • No real emotional attachment to SOTS (I'm a Midwesterner) or Splash (I'm a ride wimp)
  • Appreciate and understand the need for the parks to be more diverse
  • Don't agree with each and every change that's been made to remove those things which could be perceived as offensive
  • Think Tiana and Princess and the Frog are underserved by getting a reskin/remake of an existing ride, and deserve their own attraction from the ground up that gives them more freedom to make that world come alive

Sir_Cliff

Maelstrom was a second-tier ride. Great Movie Ride was outdated and should/could have been updated but something had to be done with it.

Original art by “The Princess and the Frog” director John Musker, courtesy of Dooky Chase’s Restaurant

Seriously?!
I'm struggling to follow exactly what is getting under the skin of people on here.

I get being upset they are replacing Splash Mountain, but why is a painting they did to honour one of the inspirations for the character to hang in her family's New Orleans restaurant so irritating?

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Seriously?!
Pretty sure that's not going in the ride.

And even the other two artist concepts are not in a final form that Imagineering would use to engineer the ride.

TikibirdLand

I'm struggling to follow exactly what is getting under the skin of people on here.

I get being upset they are replacing Splash Mountain, but why is a painting they did to honour one of the inspirations for the character to hang in her family's New Orleans restaurant so irritating?
But, coming out with new concept art that is quite a bit different from what was shown over a year ago when this was announced seems a bit disingenuous, frankly. I do like the artwork though. It so much more alive than the stuff the animators produced. I hope the sights and sounds of New Orleans will be brought into the new ride. And, I'll be looking for a Cafe du Monde beignet stand in the courtyard area!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleed0range

I don't necessarily hate everything Disney changes. I prefer MMRR to Great Movie Ride, I prefer Incredicoaster to California Screaming,and I actually prefer the film-update to potc in 2006. I'm sure all those changes were debatable when they were announced, but now they've turned out to be great!

Fair. I have always liked the ride but I’ve never loved it the way I do Pirates or Haunted Mansion. I guess maybe I see through the cracks a bit? I see a well themed attraction with a hard to understand story (and hard to hear because audio is awful on the interior) unless you’re somewhat familiar with it already.

I see a great cost saving measure by reusing a bunch of old animatronics (which these days would be seen negatively) that don’t all work as well they should after years of neglect inside a water ride. But the basic ride itself is fun. So I look forward to how they may be able to make it better.

Sir_Cliff

Not sure about the triggering. But, coming out with new concept art that is quite a bit different from what was shown over a year ago when this was announced seems a bit disingenuous, frankly. I do like the artwork though. It so much more alive than the stuff the animators produced. I hope the sights and sounds of New Orleans will be brought into the new ride. And, I'll be looking for a Cafe du Monde beignet stand in the courtyard area!
Wasn't the only new concept art the image of everybody in the log inside the mountain and the only old concept art the exterior of the attraction?

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see anything especially different between the two representations.

TikibirdLand

Wasn't the only new concept art the image of everybody in the log inside the mountain and the only old concept art the exterior of the attraction?

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see anything especially different between the two representations.
Could be me reading more into the pictures they released. Here's the old one I was thinking of:

princess-frog-splash-mountain-concept-art.jpeg

and here's the other one from the latest announcement:
PATF-Ride-6.jpg

The second is more "inspiration", than concept. But, it represents New Orleans much more than the first picture, wouldn't you agree?

Castle Cake Apologist

Yeah, I'm a bit confused too here. I think people are under the impression that all three of the new images are concept art?

Castle Cake Apologist

Could be me reading more into the pictures they released. Here's the old one I was thinking of:

View attachment 581875

and here's the other one from the latest announcement:
View attachment 581876
The second is more "inspiration", than concept. But, it represents New Orleans much more than the first picture, wouldn't you agree?

I don't think that's meant to be any sort of art for the ride

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom