Disney Genie/Genie+ On Their Way to Anaheim

No Name

Well, Chapek is now CEO so he has even more power, but D'Amaro is just a better actor than Chapek is so it makes it easier for him to trick people into thinking that he cares about the parks.
He definitely enjoys being in the parks far more than any of his predecessors over the last 20+ years. I think he mostly likes getting outside of the office and seeing the business firsthand. He certainly doesn’t let caring about the parks hold back business decisions which is why he’s probably better for the job than most people on here.

el_super

Paul Pressler is tough to beat. Josh D’Amaro would have to swallow a toddler or something to fall below Pressler.

Pressler was the one that oversaw the deployment of Fastpass and flooded the park with cheap APs. You would almost think Josh would be a hero for undoing Pressler's handiwork....

britain

Pressler was the one that oversaw the deployment of Fastpass and flooded the park with cheap APs. You would almost think Josh would be a hero for undoing Pressler's handiwork....

But $20 isn’t pricy ENOUGH to truly undo the handiwork! LL needs be at least $50 a pop to truly discourage the crowds from participating. All this is doing is just tucking away yet another price increase at the expense of standby time.

No Name

He’s also behind the wonderful original DCA (and Walt Disney Studios Paris). Didn’t greenlight a single high-quality attraction in his time in parks and resorts. Came up with junk like Rocket Rods. Cut the maintenance budget, and more severe accidents happened in his time at DL than in any other period. I guess the prices were cheaper but so was the place.

mickEblu

But $20 isn’t pricy ENOUGH to truly undo the handiwork! LL needs be at least $50 a pop to truly discourage the crowds from participating. All this is doing is just tucking away yet another price increase at the expense of standby time.

I don’t think you can overlook the fact that Genie+ / LL aren’t included with APs. Do you think APs, especially those with families that go often, are going to spend an extra 80 bucks every visit?

Tamandua

I don’t think you can overlook the fact that Genie+ / LL aren’t included with APs. Do you think APs, especially those with families that go often, are going to spend an extra 80 bucks every visit?
If AP sales are weaker than they expected, they'll add on an AP version. Whatever brings in revenue. It's certainly not about improving guest experience.

mickEblu

If AP sales are weaker than they expected, they'll add on an AP version. Whatever brings in revenue. It's certainly not about improving guest experience.

Good point yet that implies Disney thinks the typical AP will use Genie +. Maybe they don’t care as long as causal guests/ tourists are using it as well as SOME APs SOMETIMES. After all, it used to be free. So it’s a win no matter how they look at it.

Tamandua

Good point yet that implies Disney thinks the typical AP will use Genie +. Maybe they don’t care as long as causal guests/ tourists are using it as well as SOME APs SOMETIMES. After all, it used to be free. So it’s a win no matter how they look at it.
Well I also mean that if people just aren't buying Magic Keys at the rate they expected they might have a Genie+ add on, similar to what they had for Maxpass. I think they'd be fine with APs not using Genie+, as long as they can sell Magic Keys without it. Anecdotally, you hear a lot of outrage from people over Genie+ and things like "I'm not going to Disney anymore" or "I'm not going to buy a Magic Key now...". Time will tell what people actually do, but it's quite possible that people don't think the Magic Keys are worth it without Genie+.

It might all be a moot point anyway with covid hysteria escalating again and possible future shutdowns or crippling restrictions.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

It might all be a moot point anyway with covid hysteria escalating again and possible future shutdowns or crippling restrictions.

Depends what kind of closures we’re taking about. Barring a full closure, even with social distancing/capacity limits this model could provide the parks a “unique opportunity” to diversify the revenue stream and artificially reduce capacity while moving more attractions to a reservation only model; all while similarly increasing the price of Genie+/LL for “guaranteed access”.

The benefit of Genie+ LL is the company can continue to evolve the “per attraction” pricing toggle options to try to compensate for loss of upfront ticket revenue.

Tamandua

Depends what kind of closures we’re taking about. Barring a full closure, even with social distancing/capacity limits this model could provide the parks a “unique opportunity” to diversify the revenue stream and artificially reduce capacity while moving more attractions to a reservation only model; all while similarly increasing the price of Genie+/LL for “guaranteed access”.

The benefit of Genie+ LL is the company can continue to evolve the “per attraction” pricing toggle options to try to compensate for loss of upfront ticket revenue.
They're struggling to get people to show up right now without additional fees and with short wait times for everything and easier than ever boarding pass distribution. Are people really going to show up more with more covid restrictions, or if people are more concerned about their health, and added to that additional fees for some things? You might have the AP crowds coming, but they're unlikely to buy Genie+ and they're going to represent lower admission revenue.

I think the worse the covid situation gets, fewer people will show up, either because they're concerned, or because they don't want to go with masks or other restrictions. Effectively raising the price won't help.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

They're struggling to get people to show up right now without additional fees and with short wait times for everything and easier than ever boarding pass distribution. Are people really going to show up more with more covid restrictions, or if people are more concerned about their health, and added to that additional fees for some things? You might have the AP crowds coming, but they're unlikely to buy Genie+ and they're going to represent lower admission revenue.

I think the worse the covid situation gets, fewer people will show up, either because they're concerned, or because they don't want to go with masks or other restrictions. Effectively raising the price won't help.
I agree with you… that if we’re in a situation where capacity is artificially reduced again either by government or the company in the next 6 months and key holders are a large segment of regular guests that they will find themselves in a death spiral eventually.

I’d argue the introduction of this new paid per day Genie program is intended to help supplement that but it’s no secret that the parks would be in a vastly different situration if they had to go back to a reduced capacity environment with a keyholder/pass holder program in place. Part of the reason they were able to maintain profitability earlier this spring was the sheer number of fully paid ticket holders, which obviously would be different scenario now even if they do artificially reduce the block of Key bookings.

I simply don’t think raising prices will be enough compensate for this either but TWDC seems to be willing to test if catering to “the 1%” (as we’ve also seen with the Galactic Star Cruiser, new WDW Deluxe Hotel hours policy, etc) is a fertile ground to compensate for extra revenue; nor is it in the best interest of the long-term company brand.

Tamandua

I agree with you… that if we’re in a situation where capacity is artificially reduced again either by government or the company in the next 6 months and key holders are a large segment of regular guests that they will find themselves in a death spiral eventually.

I’d argue the introduction of this new paid per day Genie program is intended to help supplement that but it’s no secret that the parks would be in a vastly different situration if they had to go back to a reduced capacity environment with a keyholder/pass holder program in place. Part of the reason they were able to maintain profitability earlier this spring was the sheer number of fully paid ticket holders, which obviously would be different scenario now even if they do artificially reduce the block of Key bookings.

I simply don’t think raising prices will be enough compensate for this either but TWDC seems to be willing to test if catering to “the 1%” (as we’ve also seen with the Galactic Star Cruiser, new WDW Deluxe Hotel hours policy, etc) is a fertile ground to compensate for extra revenue; nor is it in the best interest of the long-term company brand.
It's going to get ugly if they sell a bunch of magic keys and then use the reservation system to block out a bunch of days to sell more full price tickets.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

A person was crushed to death by BIG THUNDER under Pressler's watch because he was too cheap to pay for ride maintenance. DeMaro is not on that level of bad. He just has some bad creative decisions. But seems like a genuine nice guy who cares and does get the parks. Pressler just didn't give a rat's behind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom