Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

But you don’t have to go to public school … can go to private or be home schooled. Even if u go to public school, you can EASILY get exemptions. There are no mandatory vaccine laws in the US
Private schools and day cares are typically required to follow the same vaccine requirements as public schools. For the overwhelming majority of people school vaccines are effectively a mandatory requirement.

Touchdown

But you don’t have to go to public school … can go to private or be home schooled. Even if u go to public school, you can EASILY get exemptions. There are no mandatory vaccine laws in the US
The military has mandatory vaccinations.

Most health care workers are mandated to get a flu vaccine as a condition of employment.

I fully expect most companies will mandate the Covid vaccine in the very near future.

corsairk09

The military has mandatory vaccinations.

Most health care workers are mandated to get a flu vaccine as a condition of employment.

I fully expect most companies will mandate the Covid vaccine in the very near future.
Correct. I don’t have a problem with them doing so. Just making the point that all of those scenarios are VERY different from a federal law mandating that all citizens get vaccinated.

Chomama

Hey, I predicted that Delta would be well timed to blow up as kids were returning to school! Florida decided to get an early start, but for the rest of the country, I'm unfortunately still on target.

From June 13th
Actually you are correct for florida and the south too. School starts in ten days

crawale

So whi
Because the vaccinated are trying to help others as well as themselves. For example, if vaccinated doctors and nurses go to work in a children's hospital, I would want them to wear a mask to prevent any asymptomatic spread of the virus to children. Children who cannot get vaccinated at this time and in some cases, their parents won't allow them to get vaccinated.
If there is anyone left unvaccinated then everyone has to wear a mask - that's what you are saying. There will always be people who are not vaccinated - in fact those that have acquired natural immunity by surviving COVID. At what point do we say that people have the right to choose for themselves? Children who have an extremely low rate of serious illness if they contract COVID - all my grandsons have had COVID - ages 11 thru 7 - have a risk of getting heart problems from the vaccine - that is why the U.K will not recommend under 18s get the vaccine. Are you not curious as to why the government never includes those COVID survivors with immunity with the vaccinated? If your body has produced natural immunity you do not need the vaccine.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Didnt CDC just indicate that delta is significantly more transmissable - as easily as chicken pox - even among the vaccinated? So what is there to explain? Highly transmissable virus even among the vaccinated + very limited land mass…it shouldn’t bw surprising. Vaccine doesn’t eliminate transmissability - it reduces symptoms and prevents hospitalization and death.
Yes, a vaccinated person who has a symptomatic breakthrough infection is contagious and can spread Covid just like an unvaccinated person. However, it is still a somewhat rare occurrence that a fully vaccinated person has a symptomatic breakthrough infection in the first place. The vaccine efficacy is still around 88% at preventing symptomatic infection (down from 95% in the original trial). So the more people you have vaccinated the less community spread you should have. My guess is similar to other parts of the country the overwhelming majority of infections in Hawaii are among the unvaccinated so their spread has little to do with breakthrough infections. They have a higher vaccination rate but not high enough to avoid community spread.

I think what we are learning with delta is that we need much higher levels of immunity due to the virus being more contagious. Hopefully the combination of full FDA approval in a few weeks along with the situation on the ground in places like FL and many large corporations starting to require vaccination will jump start the vaccination efforts. It would be great to see the US get to 80%+ fully vaccinated. I fear in some places that will never happen but they will eventually get to immunity the hard way:(

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So whi

If there is anyone left unvaccinated then everyone has to wear a mask - that's what you are saying. There will always be people who are not vaccinated - in fact those that have acquired natural immunity by surviving COVID. At what point do we say that people have the right to choose for themselves? Children who have an extremely low rate of serious illness if they contract COVID - all my grandsons have had COVID - ages 11 thru 7 - have a risk of getting heart problems from the vaccine - that is why the U.K will not recommend under 18s get the vaccine. Are you not curious as to why the government never includes those COVID survivors with immunity with the vaccinated? If your body has produced natural immunity you do not need the vaccine.
So it sounds like what you are saying is everyone should be required to get the vaccine so that nobody is required to wear a mask. Problem solved 😎

Touchdown

FYI: Aventhealth is at Black status so preventing hospitalizations doesn't work when you are NOT vaccinated.

21K new cases yesterday per CDC, 2nd highest number ever. Hospitals are in for a rough time, as peak hospitalizations trail new cases by 1-2 weeks. I hope Florida peaks soon.

Last edited:

Disney Experience

Yes, a vaccinated person who has a symptomatic breakthrough infection is contagious and can spread Covid just like an unvaccinated person. However, it is still a somewhat rare occurrence that a fully vaccinated person has a symptomatic breakthrough infection in the first place. The vaccine efficacy is still around 88% at preventing symptomatic infection (down from 95% in the original trial). So the more people you have vaccinated the less community spread you should have. My guess is similar to other parts of the country the overwhelming majority of infections in Hawaii are among the unvaccinated so their spread has little to do with breakthrough infections. They have a higher vaccination rate but not high enough to avoid community spread.

I think what we are learning with delta is that we need much higher levels of immunity due to the virus being more contagious. Hopefully the combination of full FDA approval in a few weeks along with the situation on the ground in places like FL and many large corporations starting to require vaccination will jump start the vaccination efforts. It would be great to see the US get to 80%+ fully vaccinated. I fear in some places that will never happen but they will eventually get to immunity the hard way:(
The paper on the Phase 3 Pfizer study shows a 3% efficacy loss per month since full vaccination ( it is analysis of phase 3 data through April or so) . Therefore those who were vaccinated in January 2021 will have about 82% efficacy vs original covid but someone vaccinated in June should have 92% efficacy vs original. Assuming linearity holds in loss of efficacy over time.

For those who missed the earlier link/post:

crawale

So it sounds like what you are saying is everyone should be required to get the vaccine so that nobody is required to wear a mask. Problem solved 😎
Not at all. It should be everyone's choice to get the vaccine or not. I am wondering why there is no acknowledgment of the people who have achieved natural immunity by surviving COVID. I have no problem with people who want to wear half a dozen masks - just why do they want to impose their will on others?

Touchdown

The paper on the Phase 3 Pfizer study shows a 3% efficacy loss per month since full vaccination ( it is analysis of phase 3 data through April or so) . Therefore those who were vaccinated in January 2021 will have about 82% efficacy vs original covid but someone vaccinated in June should have 92% efficacy vs original. Assuming linearity holds in loss of efficacy over time.

For those who missed the earlier link/post:
Where are getting the waning function to 82%?

BNT162b2 continued to be safe and well tolerated. Few participants had adverse events leading to study withdrawal. VE against COVID-19 was 91% (95% CI 89.0-93.2) through up to 6 months of follow-up, among evaluable participants and irrespective of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection. VE of 86%-100% was seen across countries and in populations with diverse characteristics of age, sex, race/ethnicity, and COVID-19 risk factors in participants without evidence of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection. VE against severe disease was 97% (95% CI 80.3−99.9). In South Africa, where the SARS-CoV-2 variant of concern, B.1.351 (beta), was predominant, 100% (95% CI 53.5, 100.0) VE was observed.

Conclusion With up to 6 months of follow-up and despite a gradually declining trend in vaccine efficacy, BNT162b2 had a favorable safety profile and was highly efficacious in preventing COVID-19. (ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT04368728)

Emphasis on 6 months, it seems like it remains highly effective at 91%. The study does not expand past that point, but 6 months is important, this is the study that will get it a full FDA approval.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not at all. It should be everyone's choice to get the vaccine or not. I am wondering why there is no acknowledgment of the people who have achieved natural immunity by surviving COVID. I have no problem with people who want to wear half a dozen masks - just why do they want to impose their will on others?
Nah, it’s real simple. If everyone got the vaccine back in May when we had enough doses for all eligible people nobody would be asking anyone to wear a mask today. When is the last time someone asked you to wear a mask to prevent the Measles? Never…because 95%+ of Americans are vaccinated against the measles so there is no community spread. Funny how I don’t see large masses of people complaining about having to get the measles vaccine.

As far as natural infection goes, that’s one way to get to immunity, but we haven’t gotten to the point where enough people are vaccinated and/or naturally immune. Not sure what kind of acknowledgement you want to see. A sticker, maybe a ribbon or a trophy?

FL right now is showing us why we can’t just leave it up to people to decide. Hospitals are overrun and elective surgeries are now being postponed. It’s pretty obvious why we can’t just let this go unchecked. Wouldn't it be easier to just drop the fight and get the vaccine then everyone gets to go back to life as normal?

Bartattack

Because they've researched the difference between natural immunity and vaccination. Antibodies generated in response to an mRNA vaccine will target a broader range of Covid variants compared to antibodies acquired from an infection. So people with immunity may have different levels of protection to emerging variants and can still benefit from getting vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom