Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendy Pleakley

I think I read yesterday that federal government employees will either need to be vaccinated OR be subject to regular tests. Seems like a good approach that stops short of mandating a medical procedure but has consequences for those choosing not to get vaccinated.

Because it will affect profits from anti mask/anti vax crowd. They wont come to the parks if they have to wear a mask. If I was running Disney I would say proof of Vax to enter the property. Meaning anywhere on WDW property. Protect the workers and guests alike. But they are not brave enough to do the only thing that seems to get any attention!! I know several companies that are starting this approach, my wife just saw to co workers let go over refusing to get Vax or wear masks as mandated at her employer.

If Disney is afraid of losing anti-maskers business surely they'd be just as reluctant to lose anti-vaxxer business.

As much as I'd love WDW and other entertainment venues to adopt this policy, I'm not sure it's feasible from an operations standpoint, let alone a business one.

mmascari

Well. I just got a text informing me that a family member in central FL who was supposed to have a cardiovascular procedure today had to postpone it for several weeks because the hospital cannot handle it. Too many Covid patients. This isn't bunion removal or something; it's pretty serious. So much for a vaccine protecting you from the consequences of Covid.
Clearly they should kick an unvaccinated COVID patient out, maybe several, let them sit on the curb and think about their decisions as their lungs fail.

That would open up the space.

/s Because I'm not a heartless monster. Sorry for your friend too, it sucks.

BaconPancakes

Welp good thing I stocked up on $80 worth of face masks from shop Disney earlier this year. Wonder if Disney even has any more to sell in the parks?

Patcheslee

Well. I just got a text informing me that a family member in central FL who was supposed to have a cardiovascular procedure today had to postpone it for several weeks because the hospital cannot handle it. Too many Covid patients. This isn't bunion removal or something; it's pretty serious. So much for a vaccine protecting you from the consequences of Covid.
A coworker was complaining thier mom has to get vaccinated or the doctor won't do knee replacement surgery. Pretty much turn into a post with many people suggesting that was "refusing medical care" and "sue the doctor".
I get it, being required for a surgery if you chose not to isn't an easy pill to swallow. But hospitals don't need someone coming in for surgery and then getting covid to complicate a relatively common surgery and recovery.
On an off note, we finally get our cafeteria back at work starting next Thursday. They'll have kiosks to order food, can preorder on an internal site or app, and all transactions are cashless. I just hope they thought about being able to customize. i.e no pickles

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
A coworker was complaining thier mom has to get vaccinated or the doctor won't do knee replacement surgery. Pretty much turn into a post with many people suggesting that was "refusing medical care" and "sue the doctor".
I get it, being required for a surgery if you chose not to isn't an easy pill to swallow. But hospitals don't need someone coming in for surgery and then getting covid to complicate a relatively common surgery and recovery.
On an off note, we finally get our cafeteria back at work starting next Thursday. They'll have kiosks to order food, can preorder on an internal site or app, and all transactions are cashless. I just hope they thought about being able to customize. i.e no pickles
I don’t agree with his mom not getting vaccinated. But I’m surprised this is legal to be honest.

Wendy Pleakley

And here I am thinking I wouldn't step foot within a hospital prior to being vaccinated, if I could avoid it.

What is it going to take?

mmascari

I don’t agree with his mom not getting vaccinated. But I’m surprised this is legal to be honest.
Why?

It's not emergency room care.

If not doing the surgery was going to let her die, then sure. But, that doesn't sound like the case here. There's lots of medical reasons that prevent someone from having surgery. Threat of post surgery infection, infection while in surgery, of COVID complications on top of surgery recovery. Doesn't seem that far fetched. Especially if you combine them all as a a malpractice risk of being sued because a COVID complication made surgery recovery harder or created a cross issue (even if it didn't really).

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Why?

It's not emergency room care.

If not doing the surgery was going to let her die, then sure. But, that doesn't sound like the case here. There's lots of medical reasons that prevent someone from having surgery. Threat of post surgery infection, infection while in surgery, of COVID complications on top of surgery recovery. Doesn't seem that far fetched. Especially if you combine them all as a a malpractice risk of being sued because a COVID complication made surgery recovery harder or created a cross issue (even if it didn't really).
I haven’t heard of a precedent like this before.
Also. They could test her for the virus leading up to and the day of the surgery.

Anyways, she should have gotten the vaccine by now if she is medically able to do so.

Wendy Pleakley

I haven’t heard of a precedent like this before.
Also. They could test her for the virus leading up to and the day of the surgery.

Anyways, she should have gotten the vaccine by now if she is medically able to do so.

And again it's INSANE that we're having this sort of discussion. Wondering how to handle elective surgery for someone who isn't vaccinated, what the legal ramifications are, etc.

Imagine putting oneself in a situation where getting surgery requires a) getting vaccinated or b) filing and winning a lawsuit.

How is this a choice?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How many people does the average guest come into close contact with during a day at the magic kingdom? Google suggests the park has about 100k visitors a day. If you pass in close proximity to 30,000 people in an average day of visiting the parks (no idea, just a number) you’d come into contact with 360 contagious people per day of a Disney trip by your math. If that’s true, and delta has an r0 of between 6-8, where does that put the average park guests risk of infection?
There isn’t typically 100K visitors in the MK at the same time, especially in the Summer when some people go early and/or avoid the middle of the day. Do you consider casually passing by someone outdoors as a close contact? The CDC doesn‘t, they haven’t changed any guidance on outdoor mitigations. Outdoors is sill considered low spread. On indoor contact it’s all relative to how many rides a day people do and how many shops and restaurants they go into. In DHS or AK it’s likely the average guest does 10 or less indoor attractions a day. MK might be double that. How close do you have to come to be considered at risk close contact? In a ride queue you probably won’t have more than a handful of people within 6 feet. Restaurants are probably the biggest risk due to the time spent in one spot. There are too many variables to accurately say. For argument‘s sake let’s say you have prolonged exposure to 100 people a day (within 6 feet and more than just passing by). It could be more it could be less depending on your touring style. My only point is it’s significantly less than 30,000 people.

As far as how many infected people are walking around I don’t think we just look at local FL infection rate. A large portion of the guest base for WDW comes from the NE where cases are low and vaccination is high. Disney also attracts a demographic that is above average in wages and there’s a clear indication that wealthier and higher educated people tend to be more likely to be vaccinated. CMs are all local, but when they brought the college program back they didn’t let kids live in the dorms with roommates unless they were vaccinated so I imagine the vast majority of those CMs are vaccinated. Again, there’s no way of knowing how many infected people are walking around and how many you come in contact with. For some people 1 potential exposure is too much risk and for others they see no issue.

Disney Experience

There isn’t typically 100K visitors in the MK at the same time, especially in the Summer when some people go early and/or avoid the middle of the day. Do you consider casually passing by someone outdoors as a close contact? The CDC doesn‘t, they haven’t changed any guidance on outdoor mitigations. Outdoors is sill considered low spread. On indoor contact it’s all relative to how many rides a day people do and how many shops and restaurants they go into. In DHS or AK it’s likely the average guest does 10 or less indoor attractions a day. MK might be double that. How close do you have to come to be considered at risk close contact? In a ride queue you probably won’t have more than a handful of people within 6 feet. Restaurants are probably the biggest risk due to the time spent in one spot. There are too many variables to accurately say. For argument‘s sake let’s say you have prolonged exposure to 100 people a day (within 6 feet and more than just passing by). It could be more it could be less depending on your touring style. My only point is it’s significantly less than 30,000 people.

As far as how many infected people are walking around I don’t think we just look at local FL infection rate. A large portion of the guest base for WDW comes from the NE where cases are low and vaccination is high. Disney also attracts a demographic that is above average in wages and there’s a clear indication that wealthier and higher educated people tend to be more likely to be vaccinated. CMs are all local, but when they brought the college program back they didn’t let kids live in the dorms with roommates unless they were vaccinated so I imagine the vast majority of those CMs are vaccinated. Again, there’s no way of knowing how many infected people are walking around and how many you come in contact with. For some people 1 potential exposure is too much risk and for others they see no issue.
100k at the the Magic Kingdom used to be the Fire Dept limit. WDW starts to throttle admission before that ( though that is not needed with park passes).

When I was in the Magic kingdom years ago on fourth of July the limit was reached. Moving “upstream” through main street with three of my nieces all holding hands to not lose one another was a blast then. But everyone was packed like sardines waiting for the fireworks to start. Now if they allowed that during a delta covid spike that would be very irresponsible even with it being outdoors. But they have not.

The park passes help them manage that given the current situation. Though they actually could create bad PR if circumstances change later and they have more passes out than current safety and health conditions warrant for a park.

WDW operations prioritize on-property guests, then AP members, then day guests when they had to limit admissions in the past. I wonder if people having a park pass and there still being too many guests will change how operations deals with that situation in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom