Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
seems real:

“AdventHealth had 862 COVID-19 patients hospitalized on Monday across the Central Florida division, near the peak of about 900 patients the health system saw in January.”

WDW should be a leader here and mandate Vaccination for their cast members.

But the data is showing over 1200 new hospitalizations today which is the largest single day increase Florida has ever reported by a good margin.

hopemax

@TrainChasers I also want to thank you for sharing your concerns, anxiety and getting vaccinated anyway. It’s one of the things we need much more of. People admitting when they are nervous and lack confidence and talking and working their way through a situation instead of inaction or dismissing the entire need for action. You did an amazing thing, even if it was a small thing compared to what others might do.

What Americans view as weakness (admitting a vulnerability)and strength (lots of things) is reaching the point where its resulting in actual harm. I’ve said before I think we are entering a new phase of human history where we will need to be adaptable in the face of uncertainty. Figure out how to surf the waves coming toward us instead of letting them crash over us, where some will drown. Those that develop the coping skills to figure out how to do that will be better served. @Parker in NYC said we all need therapy... if there were that many good therapists, it wouldn't hurt!

Lilofan

@TrainChasers I also want to thank you for sharing your concerns, anxiety and getting vaccinated anyway. It’s one of the things we need much more of. People admitting when they are nervous and lack confidence and talking and working their way through a situation instead of inaction or dismissing the entire need for action. You did an amazing thing, even if it was a small thing compared to what others might do.

What Americans view as weakness (admitting a vulnerability)and strength (lots of things) is reaching the point where its resulting in actual harm. I’ve said before I think we are entering a new phase of human history where we will need to be adaptable in the face of uncertainty. Figure out how to surf the waves coming toward us instead of letting them crash over us, where some will drown. Those that develop the coping skills to figure out how to do that will be better served. @Parker in NYC said we all need therapy... if there were that many good therapists, it wouldn't hurt!
Not everyone can afford or has access to a therapist so there are other options

Self help books
Internet based therapy
Pets
Nature
Exercise
WDW wearing a mask
Etc.

havoc315

But the data is showing over 1200 new hospitalizations today which is the largest single day increase Florida has ever reported by a good margin.

But likely because that’s 3 day’s worth. They stopped reporting on weekends. But the total admissions is approaching the pandemic high.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
But likely because that’s 3 day’s worth. They stopped reporting on weekends. But the total admissions is approaching the pandemic high.

This data shows weekends...

1627435210855.png

HeartOfTeFiti

I’ve said before I think we are entering a new phase of human history where we will need to be adaptable in the face of uncertainty. Figure out how to surf the waves coming toward us instead of letting them crash over us, where some will drown. Those that develop the coping skills to figure out how to do that will be better served.
I agree with this. It doesn't do any good to be focused on returning to exactly what we viewed as normal before this pandemic. Things have changed and there are more situations to be faced in the near future that are going to shake things up even more. Most of us are just dealing with discomforts and inconveniences rather than true tragedy. We need to figure out how to deal with the things that have changed and let go of the attitude that until things return to the "before times" our lives are somehow all on hold. This is our new reality. There's no going back. Everything isn't going to look like it did in 2019. We all had things we wanted to do a certain way in 2020 and 2021. We can't fall apart because our plans got messed up. For those of us who haven't gotten sick and haven't suffered the loss of someone dear to us, it's really all pretty minor in the scope of what it could be. We have to find a way to deal with our stress and our frustration that doesn't result in lashing out at each other. We also need to learn how to be flexible and carry on, instead of mourning the loss of our expectations.

BrianLo

I'm not even sure where to start on the last 20 or so pages. I'll take adult temper tantrums for 500, Alex.

-I'm saddened again we are so late into this and the US is only just reacting. The writing was on the wall, did Florida really need to pass its hospitalization record to resume minor precautions?

-The definition of a sinus infection is double sickening or symptoms lasting 10-14 days, not 8-12 weeks.

-Physicians (not just surgeons) wore masks well before this pandemic for respiratory infections and will wear them well after. Standard surgical masks (not N95's) are still appropriate for COVID-19.

-Nearly 4200 children in the US have had MIS-C. Yes I'll still nod that inordinately kids do well, like weirdly-weirdly well, but people don't need to twist that statistic to suite an anti-precaution stance. We wiped out RSV the last year, a disease that results in 3 million paediatric admissions and 50-250k-ish deaths in the under age 5 group worldwide. That alone is a 'good enough' reason.

-For some of the families on this board that are nervous about your complex children getting COVID-19, do take solace in the fact that I have seen many post-COVID and I'm continually amazed on how well some of the kids do who are normally hospitalized with Entero-Rhino. This does not take away from the adults also share and need to protect your children, I'm sorry people are not. I really hope these latest waves at least get us vaccinations sooner for your kids. They deserve it.

-The only kids I've seen who are truly sick are actually the healthy ones. Which speaks more to all kids should be protected, not just the classically at risk.

-Being hospitalized isn't really a normal outcome, of anything.

-Really, truly, I think you would all be surprised about how many unvaccinated people are just misled or nervous or anxious. I mean we have 80% of adults and a lot of the ones I talk to who are not beyond vaccination. They've just found themselves caught up in misinformation and do not have the scientific literacy from a low SES lens to safely navigate it. So they just choose to 'wait', the default. Fighting or shaming is what causes the anti-vax movement to thrive. Way less than 10% of the population are really, truly, staunch Anti-Vaccinators. I'm hopeful this latest resurgence can turn the tides on the US vaccination drive somewhat.

hopemax

Not everyone can afford or has access to a therapist so there are other options

Self help books
Internet based therapy
Pets
Nature
Exercise
WDW wearing a mask
Etc.
Yes, therapy in whatever form it takes! I thought my comment implied a lack of ability to actually send everyone to actual, good quality therapy.

Honestly, the way we've talked ourselves through so many aspects, throughout the course of this thread, even with the nonsense, we're all probably in a better position to handle the carousel of changes and reactions when we experience it in our real lives. We have given ourselves a lot of practice.

SamusAranX

With covid , there were no fans in stands in other sports and the seats were covered with tarp covering . Pre covid , the Jags were so bad, part of the stadium were covered with tarp because of lack of fans.
As a Jags fan, I can tell you how inaccurate that statement and view was

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Meanwhile at the Mouse house no word on updated mask guidance but they added more park capacity for the Oct 1 start of the 50th anniversary 🤨🤔😳
Maybe by October as the virus cases will go way lower than last year as the pandemic will may ending by end of the years as well.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom