Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

New sign at the Jungle Cruise replaces spears and masks with Jungle Navigation Co. logo​

Jungle-Cruise_Full_43083.jpg
Here's the old ones:

1626882949580.png
1626883103409.png

At least they're color coded for an easy switch to the Jingle Cruise.

Though the spars radiating from the navigation wheel is still pretty raysist.

JohnD

Speaking of changes, has anybody checked out "Behind The Attraction" that dropped today on Disney+?

Not yet. About to get off work and will check it out. I started watching Episode 3 of "Assembled" about the making of Loki but could only get through a portion before heading out to work. So several things to watch on Disney+ tonight.

Sir_Cliff

Funny you mention exotic food, as that's the usage that people are complaining about.
I know everyone is throwing up their hands in horror at this, but there is some logic to not describing other peoples' food as exotic or, even worse, ethnic. Would you really love to live in a place where your food, music, etc. was given any of those labels?

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I know everyone is throwing up their hands in horror at this, but there is some logic to not describing other peoples' food as exotic or, even worse, ethnic.
I'm an English major, so the meanings of words and how they shift over time, the origins, etc. is all very interesting to me.

I'm not sure when the word "exotic" gained a negative connotation, but it means "originating in or characteristic of a distant country". If you google "etymology of exotic", you can see that the "similar" words tend to be far more problematic...especially "alien".

brb1006

Not yet. About to get off work and will check it out. I started watching Episode 3 of "Assembled" about the making of Loki but could only get through a portion before heading out to work. So several things to watch on Disney+ tonight.
Highly recommend it for the amount of behind the scenes footage.

Sir_Cliff

I'm an English major, so the meanings of words and how they shift over time, the origins, etc. is all very interesting to me.

I'm not sure when the word "exotic" gained a negative connotation, but it means "originating in or characteristic of a distant country". If you google "etymology of exotic", you can see that the "similar" words tend to be far more problematic...especially "alien".
It is certainly interesting, and as someone who has always loved the whole mid-century tiki culture and Polynesian pop it has given me some pause for thought in recent years!

The definition you cite is quite interesting as you could also substitute "foreign" for "exotic" and it would be far less evocative, perhaps more accurate, and would probably make people more uncomfortable! This is where I think the way they are using it on the new sign to refer to the fantasy ride is probably fine, whereas describing, for example, something like an arepa that people from Colombia and Venezuela may eat everyday as "exotic" is more of an issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom