News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

iowamomof4

Well, hopefully we'll get a chance to check out the inside of Marakesh during our August trip. I had always wanted to eat there, but it never worked out. Guess it may be too late now.

jaklgreen

I am devastated by this. The chicken shawarma was my favorite counter service meal in WDW. I always ate there several times per trip. Believe it or not, that type of chicken shawarma is NOT available in many areas of the US. Not one restaurant in my mid sized city carries that kind of chicken on a spit. It truly was a very good meal. This actually bothers me more then any other change they have made recently. 😭

LittleBuford

For what it’s worth (though I don’t think this is why Disney took it off the menu), shawarma isn’t really a Moroccan dish. It comes from the other end of the Mediterranean and has very little to do with traditional Moroccan cooking.

UNCgolf

For what it’s worth (though I don’t think this is why Disney took it off the menu), shawarma isn’t really a Moroccan dish. It comes from the other end of the Mediterranean and has very little to do with traditional Moroccan cooking.

A Turkey pavilion would fit nicely in the World Showcase. There are plenty of landmarks in Istanbul that could function as a centerpiece, and they could do a nice shawarma QS there.

Don't think there's much chance of that happening, though, especially with Turkey's current leadership.

LittleBuford

A Turkey pavilion would fit nicely in the World Showcase. There are plenty of landmarks in Istanbul that could function as a centerpiece, and they could do a nice shawarma QS there.

Don't think there's much chance of that happening, though, especially with Turkey's current leadership.
I’m of Turkish heritage (though not from Turkey), so this would be personally very exciting for me.

The Turkish name for shawarma (which is itself an Arabic corruption of a Turkish word) is “döner”. Both terms refer to spinning, as too does the Greek “gyro” (same etymology as “gyrate”).

UNCgolf

I’m of Turkish heritage (though not from Turkey), so this would be personally very exciting for me.

The Turkish name for shawarma (which is itself an Arabic corruption of a Turkish word) is “döner”. Both terms refer to spinning, as too does the Greek “gyro” (same etymology as “gyrate”).

I would love to see both a Turkey pavilion and a Greece pavilion.

Turkey could feature the Hagia Sophia as a centerpiece (or one of many other options) and Greece could use the Parthenon/acropolis, especially since the Italian pavilion is mainly Venetian (and some Florentine) and doesn't really feature much of anything from the classical period.

TrainsOfDisney

I am devastated by this. The chicken shawarma was my favorite counter service meal in WDW. I always ate there several times per trip. Believe it or not, that type of chicken shawarma is NOT available in many areas of the US. Not one restaurant in my mid sized city carries that kind of chicken on a spit. It truly was a very good meal. This actually bothers me more then any other change they have made recently. 😭
That chicken could be insanely good. I had it every night on my farewell to illuminations trip! The Couscous was also crazy good.

UNCgolf

I could see the Hagia Sophia being a controversial choice given how politicised the monument is, and I have the feeling that today’s Disney would want to steer clear of religious buildings anyway.

That's why I didn't mention the Blue Mosque. The Hagia Sophia would have been a perfect option as a historic, secular building until last year -- but that's also why I said there's no chance they'd build a Turkey pavilion with Turkey's current leadership.

Not that I think they're going to add any pavilions at all anytime soon, if ever.

jaklgreen

That's funny that Disney would take it off because it is not "authentic", but when it was run by Morocco, they had it on the menu. There was no harm in keeping it since it was popular.

castlecake2.0

Even if Bobby has a stroke and somehow approved the expenditure, at the rate they do stuff in EPCOT it would not open till 2030..
Also why don’t we focus on current pavilions like Canada and Morocco that are both still half shuttered, and missing attractions from Germany and Japan before we add more half baked countries lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom