News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

dreamfinder

Hope an actual full menu returns at some point and it's not relegated to being a F&W kiosk year round. That veggie combo platter was tasty.

James Alucobond

Does anyone know if the original sign (shown below) has been left in place?

2019-wdw-epcot-general-stock-morocco-pavilion-tangierine-cafe-686x600.jpg
Based on photos taken by folks from the start of the Food & Wine Festival, it was still there as of July 15.

UNCgolf

You'd actually have to hire artisans to make the tiles. When painting them, the color isn't real until it's fired. So, if you haven't been doing this for a long time, you don't know how the colors will turn out. There are people in florida that can do can do it. Seems they don't want to hire them.

Yeah, I knew that -- I was just trying to give Disney the benefit of the doubt and not assume they were going for the cheaper/easier option instead of the more authentic one.

SpectroMan93

Aren’t the metal-parading-as-ceramic signs part of the long tradition of Disney illusionism that is all over World Showcase and that is normally deemed impressive and ingenious? I’m not sure why people are viewing the effect as cheap and lazy.
Because it is also a long standing tradition on these forums to declare anything Disney does as of late as cheap and lazy ;).

hpyhnt 1000

Aren’t the metal-parading-as-ceramic signs part of the long tradition of Disney illusionism that is all over World Showcase and that is normally deemed impressive and ingenious? I’m not sure why people are viewing the effect as cheap and lazy.
Because thezach goes into some detail about all the effort used to "sell the illusion" of these fake tiles. And that's the problem - "illusion" in a spot where just about everything else is not an illusion but instead real.

For much of the Morocco pavilion, the details you see are authentically real and hand crafted. The King sent local artisans and craftsman to build the pavilion, so the tiles are actual ceramic tiles, the plaster work is real plaster, the wood carvings were actually carved by hand, and the painted signs and calligraphy are really hand painted.

Normally, you're right, the usual Disney flair of using one material or process to imitate something else is impressive. But here, it rings hollow because they've basically put a (cheaper?) and unnecessary imitation next to authentic Moroccan crafted designs; it's an unneeded "fake" next to something real. And quasi-hyping these imitations as great new additions to "a storied venue" that is "a jewel itself" isn't doing them any favors.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

No one called it cheap or lazy?

The Morocco pavilion (as the post above me says) is a bit different than the other World Showcase pavilions, though, since so much of it actually is authentic.

LittleBuford

No one called it cheap or lazy?

The Morocco pavilion (as the post above me says) is a bit different than the other World Showcase pavilions, though, since so much of it actually is authentic.
Cheaper and easier is a fairer characterisation of what people have said.

There's a fair amount of fakery still. I don't think these signs alter the balance all that much, especially since the new fountain seems authentic enough.

LittleBuford

Because thezach goes into some detail about all the effort used to "sell the illusion" of these fake tiles. And that's the problem - "illusion" in a spot where just about everything else is not an illusion but instead real.

For much of the Morocco pavilion, the details you see are authentically real and hand crafted. The King sent local artisans and craftsman to build the pavilion, so the tiles are actual ceramic tiles, the plaster work is real plaster, the wood carvings were actually carved by hand, and the painted signs and calligraphy are really hand painted.

Normally, you're right, the usual Disney flair of using one material or process to imitate something else is impressive. But here, it rings hollow because they've basically put a (cheaper?) and unnecessary imitation next to authentic Moroccan crafted designs; it's an unneeded "fake" next to something real. And quasi-hyping these imitations as great new additions to "a storied venue" that is "a jewel itself" isn't doing them any favors.
The signs in the pavilion bear little resemblance to actual signs in Morocco (I've been to the country). Yes, the pavilion is full of authentic details, but the signs aren't among them.

hpyhnt 1000

The signs in the pavilion bear little resemblance to actual signs in Morocco (I've been to the country). Yes, the pavilion is full of authentic details, but the signs aren't among them.
Great! I studied abroad there for 6 months so we're both qualified to internet critique!

The only point with my earlier post is Zach choosing to highlight some new signs made to look like tile but which aren't actually ceramic tile, right after specifically lauding the original (and authentic) mosaic tiles of the building, is head scratching and, I think, deserving of some criticism. Why deliberately add inauthentic pieces to a building that has so many examples of the real thing? At they very least, use real ceramic tile rather than painting lines on some sheet metal.

UNCgolf

In any event, something being cheaper and/or easier isn't an inherently bad thing. If the final product is more or less indistinguishable, does it really matter?

And people should assume that Disney is going to take the cheaper/easier option most of the time, unless they have a strong reason to believe that the more expensive/harder option will result in enough of a revenue difference to make the added expense/difficulty worth it. They're a massive, publicly owned corporation. That's what they do. There's nothing malicious about it.

People will tell you Disney used to be different. While there are are some indications that might be true, I certainly don't know enough to make that claim. But today's Disney is run exactly like the massive conglomerate it is, for better or worse.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

Great! I studied abroad there for 6 months so we're both qualified to internet critique!

The only point with my earlier post is Zach choosing to highlight some new signs made to look like tile but which aren't actually ceramic tile, right after specifically lauding the original (and authentic) mosaic tiles of the building, is head scratching and, I think, deserving of some criticism. Why deliberately add inauthentic pieces to a building that has so many examples of the real thing? At they very least, use real ceramic tile rather than painting lines on some sheet metal.
I don't know about this. Disney has always highlighted how the Imagineers use little tricks to create believable illusions and immersive environments. That's part of the art form. In this case, the blending of actual tile mosaics created by Moroccan artisans and Imagineering tricks such as the new signs is kind of interesting as I guess most of us would never know the difference if he hadn't have mentioned it and the end result at least appears convincing.

LittleBuford

Then you'll know what I'm talking about in terms of the pavilion's signs being rather different from what one finds in Morocco itself. It is Disney, after all. A bit of inauthenticity is to be expected and has been part of the pavilion since its inception.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom