Construction between Contemporary and TTC

Pick145

I believe that path is not only not ADA compliant but also so narrow that WDW is unlikely to have families use it regularly.

Oh boy I love a walkway to nowhere, so this is an extra fun one, since there are no connections to the sidewalk on either side.

I'm having trouble measuring the slope of this walkway, but even if it was in spec, it is likely too long of a span without some landings. So I agree with you that it would take some work to make ADA compliant, but since they're only handcuffed directly under the bridge, I think that it would be possible by moving some dirt.

The width of the walkway looks to be about 10ft, which is pretty typical for walkways around the contemporary.

wedenterprises

As I stated before I can attest to this as I am a Geologist in Orange and Seminole counties. Basically all the area you see here in dark colors is Sinkhole. It's fairly common on the Disney property (and this whole area). The WDW property has something like 300+ registered sinkholes.
so interesting!
I wonder why they didn't build AKL further north to give them more space, a potential entrance to AK, and direct animal access to the safari? Is that all unusable land?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Any “connector” path would have to be built new topside…for a variety of reasons.

want to know an obvious one? Baylake is WILD and that bottleneck they dredged/created would be a liability as a “transit” spot for some of our friends

A topside path would require either a swing/draw bridge which would probably be operationally difficult since there is a lot of boat traffic through there, or fixed bridge tall enough for the Liberty Belle to pass under.

Robbiem

so interesting!
I wonder why they didn't build AKL further north to give them more space, a potential entrance to AK, and direct animal access to the safari? Is that all unusable land?

I‘ve always wondered about the placement of the Studios and Animal Kingdom parks. I always assumed animal kingdom was placed away from everywhere for the animals welfare but I could never understand why the Studios was placed in such a restricted location. I would have thought further north would have allowed for a monorail stop on the EPCOT line

BTW would love to hear more about the geology of WDW, I studied geology at university but we never covered sinkholes etc much here in the UK.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A topside path would require either a swing/draw bridge which would probably be operationally difficult since there is a lot of boat traffic through there, or fixed bridge tall enough for the Liberty Belle to pass under.
Just the friendship boats…

And you could build a deck to watch fireworks…add fastpass…little shack from Home Depot to store/serve the cupcakes from

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, but that still may be more traffic then they want to deal with. The bridge for the GF path only needs to be opened twice a day to let the light parade in and out.
I hear you…

here’s the realty: what’s likely to be built on that track? Nothing.

I’d say the most likely (ambitious) possibility is the idea they’ll bridge the lagoon and Eliminate the TTC/boats…perhaps moving the entry o
North as has been speculated from time to time.

hotel? Unlikely
Expensive path for runners? Less likely

wedenterprises

I‘ve always wondered about the placement of the Studios and Animal Kingdom parks. I always assumed animal kingdom was placed away from everywhere for the animals welfare but I could never understand why the Studios was placed in such a restricted location. I would have thought further north would have allowed for a monorail stop on the EPCOT line

BTW would love to hear more about the geology of WDW, I studied geology at university but we never covered sinkholes etc much here in the UK.
Here's a reference to help answer the Animal Kingdom placement. In Melody Malmberg's book "The Making of Disney Animal Kingdom Theme Park" she states that the team checked out available sites but that they "fell in love with the possibilities of the land at the far west of WDW. It was high, dry, and almost entirely second use; in mid-1990 it was a cow pasture and settling ponds, the site of the Disney tree farm and fireworks testing ground. Stands of native oaks in the land could be saved and worked into outdoor safaris...."

wedenterprises

If Disney earmarked the TTC site as a potential build site, could this just be a routine check on the ground? If so, how often would that kind of geological work need to be done until they feel it can be built upon feasibly? I assumed that kind of thing would be one-and-done, a black and white yes or no determined decades ago.

orky8

It could be something in between -- tall enough for the friendship boats but capable of opening/swinging (maybe even with crane assistance) when needed for the liberty belle/ferries on the rare occasions they are moved to Bay Lake for servicing.

lazyboy97o

If Disney earmarked the TTC site as a potential build site, could this just be a routine check on the ground? If so, how often would that kind of geological work need to be done until they feel it can be built upon feasibly? I assumed that kind of thing would be one-and-done, a black and white yes or no determined decades ago.
The feasibility of building on the land isn’t an issue. Geotechnical reports for building are only valid for a few years.

wedenterprises

It could be something in between -- tall enough for the friendship boats but capable of opening/swinging (maybe even with crane assistance) when needed for the liberty belle/ferries on the rare occasions they are moved to Bay Lake for servicing.
A walkway to MK would be an absolute must, IMO. But such a bridge would be super visible and perhaps iconic, it could the catalyst for the hotel's entire theme.

They could consider a lower draw bridge to the nearby island, and a taller stationary bridge from the island to the bus depot. Then perhaps they have some hotel amenities on the north side of the waterway just south of the bus depot.

And to harp on my France idea again... France does have a lot of very cool bridges ya know (and train stations for a TTC re-design).

Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 11.09.27 AM.png

pdude81

A walkway to MK would be an absolute must, IMO. But such a bridge would be super visible and perhaps iconic, it could the catalyst for the hotel's entire theme.

They could consider a lower draw bridge to the nearby island, and a taller stationary bridge from the island to the bus depot. Then perhaps they have some hotel amenities on the north side of the waterway just south of the bus depot.

And to harp on my France idea again... France does have a lot of very cool bridges ya know (and train stations for a TTC re-design).

View attachment 570827
They weren't willing to rework the canal or bridge in Epcot though to allow for the equipment to come in and out each night. This is an interesting idea, but it gives you two potential points of failure for one path.

EeyoreFan#24

I’ve been doing some research on the RCID comprehensive plan 2020. It looks like a lot of those suitability reports we’re done around 2010, with a new report to be published in 2020 as per the guidelines of the state of Florida. I wonder if this work is just in support of updating the comprehensive plan for 2030 and this is just the most visible of the action taking place along with the action across the way at the proposed GF walkway hotel. The report looks like it should’ve been published last year but maybe it was held up due to Covid and they’re just finishing up some last minute data, as far as I can tell the new report has not been published yet.

wedenterprises

They weren't willing to rework the canal or bridge in Epcot though to allow for the equipment to come in and out each night. This is an interesting idea, but it gives you two potential points of failure for one path.
A good point for sure. They could build closer to the TTC and not worry about an MK walkway...rely on boats, monorail, and a bus... or a gondola up to the bus depot area (perhaps originating elsewhere like WL or MK Parking lot?).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I’ve been doing some research on the RCID comprehensive plan 2020. It looks like a lot of those suitability reports we’re done around 2010, with a new report to be published in 2020 as per the guidelines of the state of Florida. I wonder if this work is just in support of updating the comprehensive plan for 2030 and this is just the most visible of the action taking place along with the action across the way at the proposed GF walkway hotel. The report looks like it should’ve been published last year but maybe it was held up due to Covid and they’re just finishing up some last minute data, as far as I can tell the new report has not been published yet.

That is an interesting thought. I have been keeping an eye out for the 2030 plan. The only mention of it I have found is in meeting minutes from November 2018 which said they would be working on the update to the plan in 2019.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom