FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikejs78

Premium Member
They've been pretty transparent that the Park Pass system is staying and a key reason for that is to manage crowds. If you let all the day guests in you want but put a tight cap on APs that is a pretty compelling way to limit attendance for them.

That is part of it, but part of it is that they are absolutely using it to throttle attendance. They'd rather have a park slightly less crowded where guest satisfaction is higher and where they don't need as many CMs to manage insane crowds... so long as the guests filling that slightly less crowded park are the types of guests they want. They can trim the fat, both on cast and guest sides.
Disney limiting attendance for any reason other than the pandemic? I have a bridge to sell you.

They won't limit attendance other than maybe on Christmas and New Years rather than do phased shutdowns. This is more to manage staffing.

dovetail65

I don’t know what the other park capacity is but I have heard that max capacity for WDW MK is 100,000. Normal attendance on any given day is 40-50k. On super busy days it’s around 75k.
Your numbers are right on and stated by a few other websites that do their own research and post the figures.

Mark48

I think he meant the pass reservation system is here to stay and that is what Chapek said. Truly that's not a big deal most people know which park they are going to anyhow.

I believe when AP comes back it will be closer to what it was for WDW, possibly even be exactly the same as it was before Covid for WDW. I also think FP will be closer to what it was as well, possibly be the same for the first year or two. Disney has never said FP is 100% gone and going to be paid, only we have, AND that started in 2006 and rumored since.

They need get back to 100% capacity, many of the comments I read dont even apply when they are at 100% capacity. Disney should share their plan, this keeping quiet about when full capacity is going to happen just has to be costing them money. I won't go back, the lines are worse than first week of Aug and with no FP. The trip in 2021 was the worst Disney trip we ever had regarding line wait I can remember and that's going back to 72.

I
"Disney has never said FP is 100% gone and going to be paid, only we have, AND that started in 2006 and rumored since."
We have a bingo !!!!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Honestly looking at the current wait times now that rides are at capacity FP doesn't really seem necessary!
Because park capacity right now is capped to less than it is on an average day.

FP doesn't create long lines and it doesn't get rid of long lines. Long lines are generally a function of more people in the park than the park can handle.

The TTA has been known to have hour long lines in peak season, and the TTA doesn't have FP.

dovetail65

Honestly looking at the current wait times now that rides are at capacity FP doesn't really seem necessary!
It may not be correct!

I was there, 30 minute on the app for many lines was 90 minutes in line. There were few vice versa but not for the attractions most want>

FP is 100% necessary for me personally. I won't go back until they are 100% capacity, have FP or even both. This as my AP sits unused. I can go for a plane ticket(cost virtually nothing from my location) anytime I like. I stay free(well it cost me no more per month anyhow) 6 minutes from the AK gate. There is a reason I won't go back right now.

Possibly someone that hasn't gone and has nothing to compare to may not realize or even care Disney isn't up to snuff right now. The Covid trip was the only trip ever soured me on Disney, who knows maybe I am spoiled, maybe that week was an an outlier. My contacts in my FL neighborhood are all telling me the parks are very busy. Maybe it seems that way because of capacity retraints combined with less to do, but if it "seems' that way it is that way.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Pretty much what everyone has experienced since WDW opened originally. Some attractions are more popular then others and since things to do in DAK are limited, it isn't surprising that a longer line will form at one over another. With social distancing still a reality it looks worse than it really is.
There is absolutely zero social distancing in any of the queues now. When you are in a queue, the only way you know something is different is that the line moves continuously.

UNCgolf

It may not be correct!

I was there, 30 minute on the app for many lines was 90 minutes in line. There were few vice versa but not for the attractions most want>

FP is 100% necessary for me personally. I won't go back until they are 100% capacity, have FP or even both. This as my AP sits unused. I can go for a plane ticket(cost virtually nothing from my location) anytime I like. I stay free(well it cost me no more per month anyhow) 6 minutes from the AK gate. There is a reason I won't go back right now.

Possibly someone that hasn't gone and has nothing to compare to may not realize or even care Disney isn't up to snuff right now. The Covid trip was the only trip ever soured me on Disney, who knows maybe I am spoiled, maybe that week was an an outlier. My contacts in my FL neighborhood are all telling me the parks are very busy. Maybe it seems that way because of capacity retraints combined with less to do, but if it "seems' that way it is that way.

I would argue Disney hasn't been up to snuff in well over a decade, if not longer.

dovetail65

I would argue Disney hasn't been up to snuff in well over a decade, if not longer.
I don't agree with that. Our trips from 2016 to Dec 2019 were the best ever.

Not sure why you think it was better 10 years ago, just not my experience at all, we thought it just became better and better. I miss a few things, some going back more than 10 years, but things change and for us we love WDW even more than we did 10 years ago.

DisneyCane

Lines moving continuously a great thing that's for sure! It wasn't my experience last 2021 trip, regretfully.
Not sure what was going on when you were there. Thursday and Friday we were in 60 minute lines for TT, RnRC and FoP and all moved pretty much continuously and felt shorter even though they really were that long.

tpac24

Having experienced the benefits of FP, I wouldn’t be happy with even the current wait times. 50 minutes for the Jungle Cruise? No way!

It may not be correct!

We go every year for 12 days( 3 of those days include Universal) and are DVC members so we have experienced the FP "perk". If the current wait times are the real deal than I would be good with that. I don't think less than an hour wait for a popular attraction at a theme park in the middle of summer vacation is out of the ordinary. The most current FP system sucked and having to schedule your rides so far in advance was problematic for many of us who like to go with the flow so to speak. I would not be opposed to the previous system before this last one.

mikejs78

Premium Member

I don't agree with that. Our trips from 2016 to Dec 2019 were the best ever.

Not sure why you think it was better 10 years ago, just not my experience at all, we thought it just became better and better. I miss a few things, some going back more than 10 years, but things change and for us we love WDW even more than we did 10 years ago.

Your personal trips don't count when assessing overall trends.

Better to look at bigger picture to draw safe generalities.

"More Lost Service at WDW"...
"just another example of poor management at disney"
"Why is Disney doing it? Why does Disney do ANYTHING lately? To be cheap!"
"Disney going down fast. We need another CEO."

These are quotes from this "news and rumors" forum - from 2001..

Complainers gonna complain. It's always easy to look at the past through rose colored glasses and think "back in my day"...

UNCgolf

Complainers gonna complain. It's always easy to look at the past through rose colored glasses and think "back in my day"...

Or it's easy to use rational logic and objectively look at what was offered at one point versus what is offered now.

Not that there's anything wrong with thinking it's better now than ever; that's great if that's been your experience! A lot of it is subjective, of course, and I'm certainly not saying every single thing is worse now than it used to be. It's not of course not 100% worse across the board. But there are things that are objectively worse now than they were 20+ years ago. Some of them are Disney's fault/choice and some of them aren't -- e.g. I suppose Disney could artificially lower crowd levels with a capacity cap if they wanted, but that's not realistic.

There are plenty of people, including on this forum, who look at the present through rose colored glasses ("everything I am experiencing at this moment is always the best thing that's ever happened") the same way some people look at the past through them.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I don't think less than an hour wait for a popular attraction at a theme park in the middle of summer vacation is out of the ordinary.
I suppose that depends on what you’re used to. For me, waiting close to an hour would be out of the ordinary, because I used FP in such a way that I almost always avoided any queues longer than twenty minutes.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Except that was a period that was actually very much in decline. Looking at things in isolation and misconstruing them doesn't prove anything.

Disney of the last 30 years goes in spurts... especially in WDW. Do something, then ride it till everyone thinks the end is near, then do some more... then repeat.

Instead of looking at a moment in isolation - look at the larger sampling, the trends, and each in context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom