Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_W

Beyond its ability to prevent scurvy, vitamin C has no further role in infection prevention. Once you have enough vitamin C in your system to perform its job (acting as a cofactor for collagen synthesis and the production of certain neurotransmitters), the excess serves no purpose and gets excreted directly into the urine.

Interestingly, guinea pigs were used in medical research mainly because like us, they can't store excess vitamin C and need a continual supply in their diet.

I have no idea what's actually in "Airborne", but given that they use clinically meaningless weasel-wording in their advertisements like "provides immune support" makes me think they're trying to skirt FDA regulation.

The always relevant XKCD:

1623598275069.png

"You'd need to keep track of so many people! Would you use, like, Excel or something? Far too fancy for a simple country nanoenzyme developer like me."

Kevin_W

Our gov has been trying and Ohio has really stalled. Some hated him for the lock down (even those in his own party) and refuse to listen. I worry we'll never get 50% let alone 60 or 70%
It's bizarre. I've visited PA and live in Ohio - people don't really seem that different from one state over to the next.

hopemax

Apparently, Delta is now 10% of cases in the US and has been doubling every two weeks. So for the 4th of July holiday gatherings, it will be halfway through the expected “double” to go from 20 to 40%. Then a couple of weeks for infections to translate to hospitalizations among the unvaccinated. To me this looks like the blowup will be well timed to coincide with the return to school for kids in mid-August. And by then Delta will probably have the same sort of dominance as in the UK now.

Then we see the divergence between low and higher vax areas. Then we see what happens with the unvaccinated kids. And if anywhere hedges and starts with virtual school.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Apparently, Delta is now 10% of cases in the US and has been doubling every two weeks. So for the 4th of July holiday gatherings, it will be halfway through the expected “double” to go from 20 to 40%. Then a couple of weeks for infections to translate to hospitalizations among the unvaccinated. To me this looks like the blowup will be well timed to coincide with the return to school for kids in mid-August. And by then Delta will probably have the same sort of dominance as in the UK now.

Then we see the divergence between low and higher vax areas. Then we see what happens with the unvaccinated kids. And if anywhere hedges and starts with virtual school.
So masks and social distancing will stay? NOOO! I don't want NJ will have masks and social distancing return!

GimpYancIent

Beyond its ability to prevent scurvy, vitamin C has no further role in infection prevention. Once you have enough vitamin C in your system to perform its job (acting as a cofactor for collagen synthesis and the production of certain neurotransmitters), the excess serves no purpose and gets excreted directly into the urine.

Interestingly, guinea pigs were used in medical research mainly because like us, they can't store excess vitamin C and need a continual supply in their diet.

I have no idea what's actually in "Airborne", but given that they use clinically meaningless weasel-wording in their advertisements like "provides immune support" makes me think they're trying to skirt FDA regulation.

EDIT: Wow, I just realized this side train of discussion comes from February of 2020...
Exactly! Old worn out discussion. 🥱 I enjoy my vitamin C regardless of all the pros or cons and advice. It's good and good for you. To all you folk's out there I say soak up all the vitamin C you want and derive your own conclusions. Hey! maybe someone will develop an Emergen-C Dolewhip, that would be different!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’ll take masks and social distancing for a little bit longer (til under 12 can be vaccinated) if it means we can ixnay on the virtual schooling.
Never again. Seriously cannot do that again.
I think for kids under 12 there is a pretty good chance they start the school year with masks again next Fall where I am. There may be a virtual option but there would be no reason to go to full virtual school considering we didn’t have that during the Fall and Winter surge when nobody was vaccinated. We have hit 64% of the total population vaccinated already and I expect we will be north of 70% of the total population by the start of the next school year but I still think there’s a pretty good shot kids under 12 will be in masks at least until they are eligible to be vaccinated. The only way that won’t happen is if new cases locally drop to almost zero, something like under 1 case per 100,000 daily.

We are over 73% of adults in the state with one shot and my county is above the state average but when I go out and into stores and public places I’d say more like 2/3 of people still wear masks so many people who are partially or fully vaccinated are choosing to wear a mask anyway. That may extend to schools this Fall, especially for unvaccinated kids under 12. Even if the masks aren’t required many kids may still wear them by choice (or really by parent‘s choice). I do think it’s possible that some time soon due to the political climate some states may try to “ban” mask wearing in public. Many of the anti-mask crowd is still very triggered whenever someone who is vaccinated wears a mask so it would probably be politically beneficial to continue the fight and ban mask wearing in total. I’m sure it will be done under the guise of safety and law enforcement.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I think for kids under 12 there is a pretty good chance they start the school year with masks again next Fall where I am. There may be a virtual option but there would be no reason to go to full virtual school considering we didn’t have that during the Fall and Winter surge when nobody was vaccinated. We have hit 64% of the total population vaccinated already and I expect we will be north of 70% of the total population by the start of the next school year but I still think there’s a pretty good shot kids under 12 will be in masks at least until they are eligible to be vaccinated. The only way that won’t happen is if new cases locally drop to almost zero, something like under 1 case per 100,000 daily.

We are over 73% of adults in the state with one shot and my county is above the state average but when I go out and into stores and public places I’d say more like 2/3 of people still wear masks so many people who are partially or fully vaccinated are choosing to wear a mask anyway. That may extend to schools this Fall, especially for unvaccinated kids under 12. Even if the masks aren’t required many kids may still wear them by choice (or really by parent‘s choice). I do think it’s possible that some time soon due to the political climate some states may try to “ban” mask wearing in public. Many of the anti-mask crowd is still very triggered whenever someone who is vaccinated wears a mask so it would probably be politically beneficial to continue the fight and ban mask wearing in total. I’m sure it will be done under the guise of safety and law enforcement.
Wouldn't that be an ADA violation?

Angel Ariel

Just to be clear, my virtual comment was primarily in response to the wondering here:

Given that our governor has stated the state of emergency will expire June 30th, I do not expect any social distancing or masking in schools this fall.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

is NJ, PA and NY will be back to normal by end of the year with no more spikes / surges? @GoofGoof

Angel Ariel

I am fully vaccinated and will continue to mask and social distance as I can until my child is able to have the same protection I have.
Really sad that this post has a laughing reaction to it. My child is one of 300 in the world with her disorder. When your child is that rare already, the fact that it is “rare” for children to have significant complications is not comforting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just to be clear, my virtual comment was primarily in response to the wondering here:

Given that our governor has stated the state of emergency will expire June 30th, I do not expect any social distancing or masking in schools this fall.
Agreed and to clarify my gut feeling, I don’t think there will be state wide masks or distancing anywhere in PA by the Fall. I do think there’s a 50/50 shot our elementary and middle schools either require masks and some distancing anyway or at least require it for unvaccinated kids which will be all elementary and most of the middle school.

Angel Ariel

Agreed and to clarify my gut feeling, I don’t think there will be state wide masks or distancing anywhere in PA by the Fall. I do think there’s a 50/50 shot our elementary and middle schools either require masks and some distancing anyway or at least require it for unvaccinated kids which will be all elementary and most of the middle school.
Given the pressure anti-masking people have been putting on schools here for months already, I really have no hope for such measures, even at the elementary level.

sullyinMT

I could unfortunately see the ban argument taking shape in a few places. Our superintendent, who did an amazing job with the hand dealt last year, has hinted that kids may start masked next year if overall county/city (almost one in the same here) vaccination rates haven’t greatly improved by the start of the year. Our cases are in the right direction, and a surge might be blunted, but we’re still <50% total population. I couldn’t see a scenario where it would be politically expedient to ban masks outright in all situations. I do see it being a huge fight for the schools if they try to be responsible and require them for all or provide a mask out option with proof of vaccination. Of course, we’re also one of the “cool” states with a ban on “vaccine passports,” so …

Heppenheimer

Exactly! Old worn out discussion. 🥱 I enjoy my vitamin C regardless of all the pros or cons and advice. It's good and good for you. To all you folk's out there I say soak up all the vitamin C you want and derive your own conclusions. Hey! maybe someone will develop an Emergen-C Dolewhip, that would be different!
Nobody is saying we don't need vitamin C. We do. It just doesn't do all things some products claim, and taking more than what your baseline metabolic processes require offers no further benefit.

DisneyDebRob

Really sad that this post has a laughing reaction to it. My child is one of 300 in the world with her disorder. When your child is that rare already, the fact that it is “rare” for children to have significant complications is not comforting.
Keep masking and keep your child as safe as possible. This is the internet. Always going to have one or two that are just complete ———-

correcaminos

It's bizarre. I've visited PA and live in Ohio - people don't really seem that different from one state over to the next.
No they don't. I really see a lot of similarities between Ohio, PA and even Indiana and MI. But PA is doing something better than here. Though central Ohio I am shocked that only 50% or so are vaccinated in Franklin Co but Delaware 60%. Based on the people I know in each I'd thought it would be flipped. But whatever... just wish our gov would do more to entice people. Doubt anything will help given the mask mandates are gone.

DisneyCane

Right now everyone in my family has been vaccinated (including by 15 and 13 year olds thank goodness) but we plan on wearing a mask while we’re at the parks in two weeks. Why? Because I’m not concerned about any of us getting COVID, but rather all the normal stuff that I would have seen earlier in a normal year - bronchitis, sinusitis, gastroenteritis, which for the past two weeks I’m starting to see much more of. None of us mind the masks but we really don’t want to be sick at all during our big 3 week summer vacation.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but wearing a mask is unlikely to prevent you from getting any of those things. If they did, don't you think doctors and nurses (in normal times) would wear them when seeing patients with those illnesses to prevent catching them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom