Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disstevefan1

But what are they testing? That if you put a bunch of people together on a boat that they will spread a virus? Didn't really need to do a test to know that.

I think they were trying to prove (but failed) is that if you set sail with 100% of the passengers and crew testing negative and 100 percent of the adults vaccinated (remember unvaccinated kids were tested negative for COVID), what they were hoping is that the post cruise tests would have also be 100 percent negative.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I think they were trying to prove (but failed) is that if you set sail with 100% of the passengers and crew testing negative and 100 percent of the adults vaccinated (remember unvaccinated kids were tested negative for COVID), what they were hoping is that the post cruise tests would have also be 100 percent negative.
To me, that was a fool's errand.

Bob Harlem

But what are they testing? That if you put a bunch of people together on a boat that they will spread a virus? Didn't really need to do a test to know that.
But it didn't spread, All those in close contact with the two guests tested negative for the virus. I think it's actually proving it's working out pretty well and it looks like things are continuing on as normal on it.

Flugell

Good point, it is all open to anyone.
I don’t understand this comment, why would people not staying at or visiting Disney directly be more or less likely to spread the virus? The numbers crammed onto the buses should necessitate the use of masks not where the people have come from or are going to.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
But it didn't spread, All those in close contact with the two guests tested negative for the virus. I think it's actually proving it's working out pretty well and it looks like things are continuing on as normal on it.
For sure. And the people will book the cruises and go no matter what. A fact like this isn't going to sway anyone who has already decided it's a risk worth taking.

Wendy Pleakley

This is an interesting (albeit failed) test cruise. But this is exactly what test cruises are for!

Two guests aboard the first major sea cruise hosting Americans since the pandemic halted the industry have tested positive for coronavirus in required end-of-cruise testing.

The ship set sail Saturday "with fully vaccinated crew and guests and following comprehensive protocols that align with our destination partners and exceed CDC guidelines to protect the health and safety of our guests.

Guests were required to show vaccination proof and a negative Covid-19 test within 72 hours of departing.

About 500 passengers were on board, with more than 95% fully vaccinated. Children who could not yet receive vaccinations were required to show negative Covid-19 tests.

Folks from Celebrity Cruise Must really investigate these two folks! Triple check their vaccine and covid negative paperwork.

As part of these test cruises, it would be cool to add antibody tests for everyone prior to sailing.

One more important thing (from what I heard) , different kinds of tests have different levels of precision; some kinds of tests tend to return false positives, some kinds of tests tend to return false negatives, some test are 50 percent accurate, so its a coin flip as to if the test is returning the correct result.

The article states that vaccines are more than 90% effective against catching COVID, not fully protected. Double checking paperwork won't change the fact that this is an expected result. Especially considering they stopped in ports. The guests weren't confined to a COVID free bubble environment.

This is a predictable outcome, not a failure.

Chi84

Premium Member
That's fine then. Make that the rule.

"We're done, it's on you. There are no mitigations that are required. Cast members will take safety precautions required for them. It's up to guests to do the same based on their own judgement."

Again, if that's what the rule really means, it should say that.
I don’t write policy for WDW, but the wording you’re proposing sounds a bit harsh.

These mitigation measures are different from the safety rules adopted by Disney that are directly related to their business. I’m not surprised by them simply stating the rule as an expectation and not getting caught up in enforcement.

Disstevefan1

Supposedly, they used a PCR test and they are known to pick up dead virus at times. Most likely why the 2 tested positive.
So it could be a false positive, and possibly these folks pre cruise test was not PCR. This is a reason these two folks pre cruise covid tests and vaccination paperwork should be looked at.

This is where a pre cruise antibody test could also be helpful.

Disstevefan1

The article states that vaccines are more than 90% effective against catching COVID, not fully protected. Double checking paperwork won't change the fact that this is an expected result. Especially considering they stopped in ports. The guests weren't confined to a COVID free bubble environment.

This is a predictable outcome, not a failure.
I did not know they were able to get off the boat. Stopping and getting off the boat adds A LOT of variables to this test :)

sullyinMT

I don’t understand this comment, why would people not staying at or visiting Disney directly be more or less likely to spread the virus? The numbers crammed onto the buses should necessitate the use of masks not where the people have come from or are going to.
I think all that is meant is that busses, boats, Skyliner, are all forms of public transportation and not an attraction or shop. Therefore, Disney is honoring the spirit of the rule that modes of transport require masking of patrons. Not who's coming from where.

Good point. It also shows (which we already knew) that vaccinated individuals may carry the virus. If no one else shows positive from this cruise, it's actually a pretty good success. Just stinks for those two (or maybe not) that they're stuck asymptomatically in St Maarten for a bit and can't fly back to the states.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

But a single cruise wouldn't provide enough data to prove that. Not sure how many it would take to prove that statistically.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

That's not the point of my comment. My point was that these modes of transportation are considered "public transportation" because anyone can walk up and use them, you don't need to have park tickets or be a Disney guest. This is in contrast to the Walk Disney World Railroad which if operating would not be considered public transpiration.

mmascari

I don’t write policy for WDW, but the wording you’re proposing sounds a bit harsh.

These mitigation measures are different from the safety rules adopted by Disney that are directly related to their business. I’m not surprised by them simply stating the rule as an expectation and not getting caught up in enforcement.
I'll accept that my tone was on the harsh side and over the top.

I don't have a problem with them deciding to just be open either. The stats are down, community spread is down. It's not down enough that I would personally go with an unvaccinated kid. That's a personal decision. I'm fine if others, either all vaccinated or other that are fine with the levels they're at while unvaccinated going.

What I dislike is saying there's a rule "we expect Guests who are not fully vaccinated to continue wearing face coverings in all indoor locations, and upon entering and throughout all attractions" and fully expecting that this is not true.

If they said it was "no smoking" but were just fine with people smoking on It's a Small World, same reaction. If there's going to be a policy, either it means something or it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom