Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

Yes. June 15 is still CA’s target for more relaxation, including theme parks (though not to this level). Just saying making the date the same for the next respective phase in either park is interesting to me. TDO could have done this at WDW two weeks ago or whatever it was for Uni.
I am anticipating an announcement from DL soon on their 6/15 protocols. It’s only 1:30 pm there.

ToTBellHop

It's probably an academic, but I doubt people in a trial would be considered vaccinated since you technically don't know if the vaccine works or not.
Sure, but the kid at the Peter Pan entrance won’t be arguing that. Everyone knows these policy shifts, in practice, lead to family units either all-masking or all-unmasking.

mmascari

There won’t be enforcement for kids, nor should there be. Assumptions can’t be made. Kids could be in a trial.

Then what's the point of having a rule at all?

Just update it.

Face coverings will be optional for fully vaccinated Guests in most areas. Face coverings will still be required of all Guests on Disney transportation, including Disney buses, monorails and Disney Skyliner. While we will not require proof of vaccination, we expect Guests who are to not fully vaccinated to continue wearing face coverings in all indoor locations, and upon entering and throughout all attractions and transportation. Guests must observe current policies on face coverings until June 15.

If that's the expected outcome and what the rule really means, then they should state that. Either you enforce when someone is clearly not vaccinated, a 9 year old isn't going to be vaccinated, or you don't. Sure, an 11, maybe a bigger 10 year old is going to slip through and look 12. Maybe you don't bother asking them, to avoid asking a smaller 12 year old.

But, if there's no expectation that anyone, even those clearly unvaccinated, are going to wear a mask outside of transportation where everyone does, then that should be the rule.

ToTBellHop

Just update it.

If that's the expected outcome and what the rule really means, then they should state that. Either you enforce when someone is clearly not vaccinated, a 9 year old isn't going to be vaccinated, or you don't. Sure, an 11, maybe a bigger 10 year old is going to slip through and look 12. Maybe you don't bother asking them, to avoid asking a smaller 12 year old.

But, if there's no expectation that anyone, even those clearly unvaccinated, are going to wear a mask outside of transportation where everyone does, then that should be the rule.
They write a policy in line with the CDC. But they will NEVER say “mask this 3 year old”. It’s on the parents now. My kids were in the Pfizer Phase 1. No placebo. They are 8 and vaccinated. So don’t assume.

Chi84

Premium Member

Just update it.

It seems to me they’re just placing the responsibility for their guests’ health squarely on the shoulders of those guests. My guess is they are anticipating new CDC guidance on kids under 12 very soon.

Disstevefan1

Not off to a good start....

This is an interesting (albeit failed) test cruise. But this is exactly what test cruises are for!

Two guests aboard the first major sea cruise hosting Americans since the pandemic halted the industry have tested positive for coronavirus in required end-of-cruise testing.

The ship set sail Saturday "with fully vaccinated crew and guests and following comprehensive protocols that align with our destination partners and exceed CDC guidelines to protect the health and safety of our guests.

Guests were required to show vaccination proof and a negative Covid-19 test within 72 hours of departing.

About 500 passengers were on board, with more than 95% fully vaccinated. Children who could not yet receive vaccinations were required to show negative Covid-19 tests.

Folks from Celebrity Cruise Must really investigate these two folks! Triple check their vaccine and covid negative paperwork.

As part of these test cruises, it would be cool to add antibody tests for everyone prior to sailing.

One more important thing (from what I heard) , different kinds of tests have different levels of precision; some kinds of tests tend to return false positives, some kinds of tests tend to return false negatives, some test are 50 percent accurate, so its a coin flip as to if the test is returning the correct result.

DisneyCane

Here is the new weekly report from the Florida DOH -

View attachment 563344
View attachment 563345
View attachment 563342
Doing some quick math, in the most recent week there were 357,559 new tests results reported, the prior week was 321,944. Makes sense due to Memorial Day but explains why cases were up slightly while positivity was down 0.2%.

Statewide, they reported (only including residents) 55.3 cases per 100k (7.9 per day). To compare with the New York Times and similar you have to add a little because those count non-residents as well.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
This is an interesting (albeit failed) test cruise. But this is exactly what test cruises are for!

Two guests aboard the first major sea cruise hosting Americans since the pandemic halted the industry have tested positive for coronavirus in required end-of-cruise testing.

The ship set sail Saturday "with fully vaccinated crew and guests and following comprehensive protocols that align with our destination partners and exceed CDC guidelines to protect the health and safety of our guests.

Guests were required to show vaccination proof and a negative Covid-19 test within 72 hours of departing.

About 500 passengers were on board, with more than 95% fully vaccinated. Children who could not yet receive vaccinations were required to show negative Covid-19 tests.

Folks from Celebrity Cruise Must really investigate these two folks! Triple check their vaccine and covid negative paperwork.

As part of these test cruises, it would be cool to add antibody tests for everyone prior to sailing.

One more important thing (from what I heard) , different kinds of tests have different levels of precision; some kinds of tests tend to return false positives, some kinds of tests tend to return false negatives, some test are 50 percent accurate, so its a coin flip as to if the test is returning the correct result.
That's why the 72 hour thing has always baffled me. And the false-negatives. But I haven't put myself in any situations where they've been necessary, and I thankfully have a work situation that hasn't required them. I just feel like it's all smoke and mirrors. And has been.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

But what are they testing? That if you put a bunch of people together on a boat that they will spread a virus? Didn't really need to do a test to know that.

mmascari

They write a policy in line with the CDC. But they will NEVER say “mask this 3 year old”. It’s on the parents now. My kids were in the Pfizer Phase 1. No placebo. They are 8 and vaccinated. So don’t assume.
Someone posted in the last 100 pages with exactly that complaint, that a 3 year old that was asleep was asked to fix a max covering the nose.

Fine, there's some very small percentage that are. So, again, if that's the assumption, and everyone is assumed to be in a trial. We're back at the slightly small nuance of "people don't like to lie, and this technically makes them lie". That's kind of a crappy rule.

Which really, back to the other point I made. If you're not doing any mitigations including distance while unvaccinated people eat. What's the point to the rest of the rules at all?

So, if there's no point to the rule and they're not going to enforce it beyond hoping people feel guilty, it's hardly a rule at all. Just come out say "We're open, pandemic over!". For people that accept the current levels as good enough, that's 100% true.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That's why the 72 hour thing has always baffled me. And the false-negatives. But I haven't put myself in any situations where they've been necessary, and I thankfully have a work situation that hasn't required them. I just feel like it's all smoke and mirrors. And has been.

No mitigation is 100%, 72 hours may have been considered good enough to reduce the risk.

Mark52479

Supposedly, they used a PCR test and they are known to pick up dead virus at times. Most likely why the 2 tested positive.

ToTBellHop

Someone posted in the last 100 pages with exactly that complaint, that a 3 year old that was asleep was asked to fix a max covering the nose.

Fine, there's some very small percentage that are. So, again, if that's the assumption, and everyone is assumed to be in a trial. We're back at the slightly small nuance of "people don't like to lie, and this technically makes them lie". That's kind of a crappy rule.

Which really, back to the other point I made. If you're not doing any mitigations including distance while unvaccinated people eat. What's the point to the rest of the rules at all?

So, if there's no point to the rule and they're not going to enforce it beyond hoping people feel guilty, it's hardly a rule at all. Just come out say "We're open, pandemic over!". For people that accept the current levels as good enough, that's 100% true.
They’re told to wear a mask now because there’s a mask mandate. There won’t be next Tuesday.

mmascari

It seems to me they’re just placing the responsibility for their guests’ health squarely on the shoulders of those guests. My guess is they are anticipating new CDC guidance on kids under 12 very soon.
That's fine then. Make that the rule.

"We're done, it's on you. There are no mitigations that are required. Cast members will take safety precautions required for them. It's up to guests to do the same based on their own judgement."

Again, if that's what the rule really means, it should say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom