Skyliner down at EP tonight. Crash?

NelsonRD

The fact that it restarted so quickly suggests the safety police also don’t care. Also, when monorails are allowed to drive with doors open, we need to adjust our expectations. Survived the trip to the park? The Magic is still here.

I cannot tell if that post is satire or not. But if you are serious, do you believe this is operating as expected? How much damage to the gondolas should we expect per year from contact? I don't think I need to lower my expectations, you might need to raise yours.

GimpYancIent

This gondola system is used in other places, I wonder if there's any records of how many collisions are happening with those systems.

In other words, is it about average, is the WDW system more complex? Are the CM's not being trained well enough? Are there other factors causing this to happen more frequently?
:rolleyes:

Bocabear

We stayed at the Riviera last weekend... The Skyliner went down every time it started to drizzle, and on two occasions we were left stranded and had to take an Uber to get back to the hotel... Yes we could have taken a bus from the Yacht Club to Disney Springs and then taken another bus back to the Riviera, but none of us wanted to invest another hour and a half minimum travel time...
The Skyliner is cute and fun, but it is an operational nightmare and was a grave mistake for dependable transportation... Florida is prone to thunderstorm and intermittent rainstorms most of the year... This was just the wrong transportation for this area... Maybe it would be perfect for California, but not Florida...
Whatever the cost, the Monorail would have been worth the investment...and it could have seamlessly linked with Disney Springs, Animal Kingdom and the lodges.

GimpYancIent

We stayed at the Riviera last weekend... The Skyliner went down every time it started to drizzle, and on two occasions we were left stranded and had to take an Uber to get back to the hotel... Yes we could have taken a bus from the Yacht Club to Disney Springs and then taken another bus back to the Riviera, but none of us wanted to invest another hour and a half minimum travel time...
The Skyliner is cute and fun, but it is an operational nightmare and was a grave mistake for dependable transportation... Florida is prone to thunderstorm and intermittent rainstorms most of the year... This was just the wrong transportation for this area... Maybe it would be perfect for California, but not Florida...
Whatever the cost, the Monorail would have been worth the investment...and it could have seamlessly linked with Disney Springs, Animal Kingdom and the lodges.
Totally disagree. Stayed at Caribbean Beach rode the Skyliner multiple times daily No Issues. Actually it was very enjoyable. At times the gondolas would stop because one of the gondolas from the handicap load area is being merged back in. Absolutely minimal stoppage time. This is absolutely the correct transportation for the area! Reduces the need for road vehicle transport (i.e. buses) hence reducing carbon foot print and traffic congestion, safe and fun. I am looking forward and hoping the lightbulb will come on in managements head to run a Skyliner line to AK.

celluloid

Fire Alarms E-Stop the rides and bring up house lights. If there was a fire at splash mountain, they aren’t waiting a 11 minutes for a ride to cycle to get guests off.

Due to past tragedies regarding fire and theme park attractions , the national fire code, which all state and local codes are based off of, have multiple sections dedicated towards amusement parks and attractions. They are also classified as their own specific use group in the code.
Notice how I did not say all.

Splash would only be 11 min for the boat that just left. If the fire is out of ride path than the quick jest way to get people out is often un fact cycling the attraction. Do you think Cast members could evacuate the boats all throughout the attraction after an E Stop in less than ten minutes? That is not even done without the fire or panic grom guests. This is exactly the reason why a fire alarm does not E Stop some rides unless it is on the ride path.

GimpYancIent

The Disney Skyliner is a highly customized system, with particular complex design and control features specifically tailored for Disney operations.

Stop being so obnoxious also.
OK. Customized for Disney is true as all their systems are engineered and customized for each customer and that customers needs. That simply adds to the engineering quality invested in the system. Still what is your point?

Oh yea, I never claimed to be diplomatic in expressing my opinions.

Last edited:

peter11435

Fire Alarms E-Stop the rides and bring up house lights. If there was a fire at splash mountain, they aren’t waiting a 11 minutes for a ride to cycle to get guests off.

Due to past tragedies regarding fire and theme park attractions , the national fire code, which all state and local codes are based off of, have multiple sections dedicated towards amusement parks and attractions. They are also classified as their own specific use group in the code.
Fire alarms do not E-Stop most attractions. Lights on yes, but the ride will continue to cycle until guests are off.

Minnesota disney fan

I remember when the MK had the gondola ride across the park. It was so much fun and a seamless ride. I think it was stopped because some jerks were spitting and throwing things at the guests walking in the parks? Not sure, but that is what I heard.
My question and point? Does anyone know if that gondola had any crashes, collisions, problems at all? I have never heard of any.

GimpYancIent

I remember when the MK had the gondola ride across the park. It was so much fun and a seamless ride. I think it was stopped because some jerks were spitting and throwing things at the guests walking in the parks? Not sure, but that is what I heard.
My question and point? Does anyone know if that gondola had any crashes, collisions, problems at all? I have never heard of any.
I believe this is what you are talking about. Wow, memories. Too bad it all ended in 1994, but when you think about it, was it really that long ago?

1623264370907.png

ToTBellHop

The cars maintained a set speed and couldn’t crash. The issue with SkyLiner is that it slows down considerably for loading and accelerates to travel. Maybe rubber bumpers are needed...

GimpYancIent

too bad it was not customized to run in thunderstorms....
It is very cute and a lovely ride during optimum conditions...
and I wish they would take the stickers off the cabins..... If you are lucky enough to get a gondola that has no sticker, you will enjoy a clear glaucoma-free view.
You want something (anything) that is elevated in the air running during thunderstorms?

montyz81

Totally disagree. Stayed at Caribbean Beach rode the Skyliner multiple times daily No Issues. Actually it was very enjoyable. At times the gondolas would stop because one of the gondolas from the handicap load area is being merged back in. Absolutely minimal stoppage time. This is absolutely the correct transportation for the area! Reduces the need for road vehicle transport (i.e. buses) hence reducing carbon foot print and traffic congestion, safe and fun. I am looking forward and hoping the lightbulb will come on in managements head to run a Skyliner line to AK.
The Monorail reduces the need for road vehicle transport and also reduces the carbon footprint and traffic congestion and is also Safe and fun. Now by the numbers:
Monorail - 49 years in operation. 5 crash-like incidents that I know of. (Mark IV and VIs only)
Skyliner - 2 years in operation. 3 crash-like incidents that I know of.

GimpYancIent

The Monorail reduces the need for road vehicle transport and also reduces the carbon footprint and traffic congestion and is also Safe and fun. Now by the numbers:
Monorail - 49 years in operation. 5 crash-like incidents that I know of. (Mark IV and VIs only)
Skyliner - 2 years in operation. 3 crash-like incidents that I know of.
Yes, I also would like to see an expansion of the monorail, for instance a loop that encompasses AK, but the powers that be nixed that concept some time ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom