Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

On the Disney World front....some more small stuff coming back.
  • ‘Ohana and Sebastians at CBR have opening dates
  • Space 220 is hiring so an opening at some point in the next few months
  • rope drop is back
  • monorail capacity increased and standing is allowed again
  • possible return of parking trams soon
  • indoor play area at Dumbo reopening
I know it’s nothing Earth shattering (unless you love you some ‘Ohana 🥳) but it’s still a continuation of our return to normal at WDW. Baby steps 👍👍👍
They were not allowing that today when we rode.

correcaminos

No new stickers?
No idea to be honest. I looked in my pics and didn't see from today. We rode for the first time today, and the CM told us where to go still. They directed all to the seats. Maybe they were just doing what they were used to?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No idea to be honest. I looked in my pics and didn't see from today. We rode for the first time today, and the CM told us where to go still. They directed all to the seats. Maybe they were just doing what they were used to?
Probably a slow rollout like everything else. Baby steps.

DisneyCane

For anybody devastated that FL no longer posts the case numbers daily, it seems the CDC still gets them every day. Today's data says 1,184 new cases, 13,383 in the last seven days and 62.3 cases per 100k in the last seven days (8.9 per 100k per day).

It seems like the vaccinated number updates daily also on the CDC site.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For anybody devastated that FL no longer posts the case numbers daily, it seems the CDC still gets them every day. Today's data says 1,184 new cases, 13,383 in the last seven days and 62.3 cases per 100k in the last seven days (8.9 per 100k per day).

I’m fine with weekly numbers. I am mostly happy for @DCBaker who I now picture relaxing on the beach with a frozen drink 6 of the 7 days. He earned that break 😎

Polkadotdress

Where on the CDC site are you seeing the numbers? I am lost!

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Pfizer Inc (PFE.N) said on Tuesday it will begin testing its COVID-19 vaccine in a larger group of children under age 12 after selecting a lower dose of the shot in an earlier stage of the trial.

The study will enroll up to 4,500 children at more than 90 clinical sites in the United States, Finland, Poland and Spain, the company said.

Based on safety, tolerability and the immune response generated by 144 children in a phase I study of the two-dose shot, Pfizer said it will test a dose of 10 micrograms in children between 5 and 11 years of age, and 3 micrograms for the age group of 6 months to 5.

A Pfizer spokesperson said the company expects data from 5- to 11-year-olds in September and would likely ask regulators for emergency use authorization later that month. Data for children 2 to 5 years old could arrive soon after that, he said.

Pfizer expects to have data from the 6-month to 2-year-old age group sometime in October or November."

Kevin_W

"Pfizer Inc (PFE.N) said on Tuesday it will begin testing its COVID-19 vaccine in a larger group of children under age 12 after selecting a lower dose of the shot in an earlier stage of the trial.

The study will enroll up to 4,500 children at more than 90 clinical sites in the United States, Finland, Poland and Spain, the company said.

Based on safety, tolerability and the immune response generated by 144 children in a phase I study of the two-dose shot, Pfizer said it will test a dose of 10 micrograms in children between 5 and 11 years of age, and 3 micrograms for the age group of 6 months to 5.

A Pfizer spokesperson said the company expects data from 5- to 11-year-olds in September and would likely ask regulators for emergency use authorization later that month. Data for children 2 to 5 years old could arrive soon after that, he said.

Pfizer expects to have data from the 6-month to 2-year-old age group sometime in October or November."

That's an interesting selection of countries. I wonder how they selected those areas.

Kevin_W

On the Disney World front....some more small stuff coming back.
  • ‘Ohana and Sebastians at CBR have opening dates
  • Space 220 is hiring so an opening at some point in the next few months
  • rope drop is back
  • monorail capacity increased and standing is allowed again
  • possible return of parking trams soon
  • indoor play area at Dumbo reopening
I know it’s nothing Earth shattering (unless you love you some ‘Ohana 🥳) but it’s still a continuation of our return to normal at WDW. Baby steps 👍👍👍

I was really hoping to eat at Space 220 during our WDW trip on Memorial Day 2020... obviously that did not happen. Some day! :)

ParentsOf4

I think it’s too soon to draw many conclusions yet, but at least one study is finding that stricter covid mitigations resulted in an economic upside vs places with looser restrictions. The theory which I have often supported throughout this pandemic is summarized here:

Yet for much of the past year, some experts have quietly advanced a counterargument: that economic activity is mainly affected by the rising and falling severity of the pandemic itself — not the relative strictness of the measures implemented to mitigate it. In fact, these experts argued, nonpharmaceutical interventions, or NPIs — a set of 20 government responses such as business closures, mask mandates and stay-at-home advisories that Oxford University rates according to stringency— can have an economic upside. The more the virus seems to be under control, the more eager people will be to participate in the economy.

For those who followed this thread along from the start you may remember me talking at nauseam about the economy not working when a large number of people sit out. This study is supporting that theory. I think many more studies will be needed and I caution anyone jumping to conclusions because the economy is driven by different segments of the economy in different regions (tourism vs manufacturing vs technology vs service companies, etc). It’s an interesting theory and an interesting read. I’m sure we will see many more similar studies going forward and the next phase will be to observe the impact on vaccination level on the economy going forward.

This Yahoo article is directly contradicted by a June 8 CNN article stating that the states with the best recoveries are:

South Dakota
Florida
Rhode Island
Nebraska
Idaho

The state with the worst recovery?

New York

For comparison, the CNN-Moody’s “Back-to-Normal Index” shows Florida at 101% back-to-normal. California is at 90%.

See:

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Now I'm worried even years now by 2030, as future pandemics will be not happen again, as future vaccines will preventing another future pandemics.:cool: @GoofGoof

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This Yahoo article is directly contradicted by a June 8 CNN article stating that the states with the best recoveries are:

South Dakota
Florida
Rhode Island
Nebraska
Idaho

New York

For comparison, the CNN-Moody’s “Back-to-Normal Index” shows Florida at 101% back-to-normal. California is at 90%.

See:

It depends on what metric you use. That study is primarily focused on unemployment which is one aspect of the economy but not the only factor. As I said earlier if a restaurant is open but half empty that may mean the staff are off unemployment but it doesn’t mean they are back to earning normal wages. Also a business being open doesn't mean it’s making normal profits. Take WDW as a prime example.

DisneyCane

South Dakota
Florida
Rhode Island
Nebraska
Idaho

New York

See:

All I know from driving around is that it seems everywhere I go within 60 miles of my home in Broward County, FL I see "now hiring" signs everywhere and have been to a few places that are having trouble getting enough employees to be fully staffed. On my recent road trip through South Dakota almost every fast food restaurant and a lot of travel stop/gas stations had signs advertising $14+ per hour starting pay. With respect to WDW, are they having staffing issues?

Like I said in reply to @GoofGoof there are many metrics that need to be considered in determining which strategy was correct with respect to the economy. But, at the end of the day, the most important economic metrics to most individuals are "can I get a job?" and "how much will I earn?"

When considering the trade-off's for economy vs. pandemic control, we also must consider how much better the pandemic was controlled in the "lockdown" States. FL which is seen by many as "doing nothing" (which isn't true as there were Statewide measures early on and long term measures in most of the high population counties), is 19th worst in total cases per 100k and 27th worst in deaths per 100k. Basically somewhere in the middle in both measures and considering the older skew to the population the death rate can be considered better than would be expected.

Compared to CA, FL has 13% more total cases per 100k and 7.8% more deaths per 100k. CA wasn't that much better in pandemic control metrics but had far more extreme mandated mitigation, especially in duration.

The economic side will certainly be an interesting study and analysis. Hopefully it will be useful far into the future when the next worldwide pandemic hits. Although I hope to live quite a while longer, hopefully the next similar pandemic doesn't happen until I'm long gone.

DisneyCane

hmm, tough to know just how much to trust that map on the CDC site though. California with zero new cases?
I didn't notice that but definitely a reason to be careful with the data interpretation. Maybe there was a reporting glitch. The FL number that was posted yesterday seemed plausible in comparison to recent data.

ParentsOf4

It depends on what metric you use. That study is primarily focused on unemployment which is one aspect of the economy but not the only factor. As I said earlier if a restaurant is open but half empty that may mean the staff are off unemployment but it doesn’t mean they are back to earning normal wages. Also a business being open doesn't mean it’s making normal profits. Take WDW as a prime example.
I’ll phrase it this way:

When it comes to a financial analysis, I’ll take Moody’s over a bunch of UCLA economists who are paid by the State of California telling me how wonderful the government of the State of California is doing.

Always consider the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom