News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
Seems that if a mask is being used to protect a vaccinated person from getting COVID just about any mask will work about the same. N95, surgical, cloth - they are probably all equally effective for preventing a vaccinated person from getting COVID. Why argue over what kind they should choose?

DisneyCane

The risk of Covid to vaccinated individuals in larger than infinitesimal.
It is GREATLY reduced compared to vaccinated.

But for example… there was an unvaccinated worker at a nursing home. He infected over a dozen vaccinated residents, and 1 of those vaccinated residents passed from Covid.
There have been well over 100 breakthrough deaths.

Now, if enough people are vaccinated, to the point where there is extremely limited community spread, then the risk becomes infinitesimal.
For illustration only: let’s say the risk of a vaccinated dying from Covid is 1/25,000 Covid exposures. (And the risk to an unvaccinated person is 1/2000 covid exposures).
Now imagine there is still massive community spread: so the vaccinated person still faces a dozen covid exposures per day… 5000 covid exposures per year. With 5000 exposures… and 1/25000 chance of dying each time, your risk of death is not infinitesimal.
Now imagine there is very limited community spread… so instead of a dozen Covid exposures per day, you face only 1 exposure per month. So in the course of a year… only about 12 Covid exposures.. and 1/25,000 chance of dying each of those 12 times… now the risk is infinitesimal.

point being: unvaccinated individuals do increase the risk for all. And if enough people go unvaccinated, it prevents the risk from becoming infinitesimal.
For goodness sake. There have been 447 breakthrough COVID-19 related deaths among the 137+ million fully vaccinated people over a period of months. There are more than that many deaths reported daily among the non-fully vaccinated EVERY DAY. To date, a fully vaccinated person has had a 0.0033% chance of dying from COVID-19 and the bulk of the people fully vaccinated earlier (and thus have been "vulnerable" for the longest period) were nursing home residents and others of advanced age who have the highest risk.

I'd categorize 0.0033% as infinitesimal for all intents and purposes. It is basically irrelevant in the scheme of risks of death from any and all factors in the same time period.

havoc315

For goodness sake. There have been 447 breakthrough COVID-19 related deaths among the 137+ million fully vaccinated people over a period of months. There are more than that many deaths reported daily among the non-fully vaccinated EVERY DAY. To date, a fully vaccinated person has had a 0.0033% chance of dying from COVID-19 and the bulk of the people fully vaccinated earlier (and thus have been "vulnerable" for the longest period) were nursing home residents and others of advanced age who have the highest risk.

I'd categorize 0.0033% as infinitesimal for all intents and purposes. It is basically irrelevant in the scheme of risks of death from any and all factors in the same time period.

Then we have different definitions of infinitesimal. 447 deaths, in just 2-3 months..(meaning, if the rate remained the same.. up to 2,000 deaths per year).. I think it would be fair to call that “low” in comparison to the entire population.
But I wouldn’t call it infinitesimally small.

GaBoy

Those water fountains in the theme parks are hardly cleaned also. Other substances besides water could be sprayed in the person's face drinking water.
No no no.... watched way to many little children wrap those lips around the nozzle and suck the water out as fast as it dispensed. Stopped drinking out of those in middle school... a hundred years ago.

DisneyCane

Then we have different definitions of infinitesimal. 447 deaths, in just 2-3 months..(meaning, if the rate remained the same.. up to 2,000 deaths per year).. I think it would be fair to call that “low” in comparison to the entire population.
But I wouldn’t call it infinitesimally small.
If you look at the statistics by age and sex of dying from any cause over the next 12 months the risk of dying from COVID-19 becomes completely irrelevant once a person is fully vaccinated and that is calculating with the much higher community spread of a few months ago.

DisneyCane

Some stores have so many signs on the door now (many covid related), I find myself searching them trying to find if one says mask required that I give up and just put the mask on...only to walk inside and see half the people without mask on
Most masks required signs are very prominent. If you don't notice one with a quick look it's safe to assume they aren't. If they are and an employee notifies you, you can put it on.

jaklgreen

You realize we were wearing these masks to reduce the rate at which we might pass covid to another person?
Not to block the intake of the virus on our own bodies.
A collective thing like a missile defense shield.
Some get through, but the damage in sheer magnitude is reduced.
If a person is going to opt to wear a mask when many others aren't, that mask should be an n95.
You do know that masks work both ways right? Before covid, people with compromised immune systems, like those going through chemo, wore masks when going out. It definitely was not to stop spreading what they had, but to stop things going into them. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. The whole "do it to protect others" was what they went with thinking that people had a bit more humanity and if they did not care about themselves, then they might care about others. They didn't say this because wearing a mask only works one way.

Chi84

Premium Member
A year ago people who were uncomfortable wearing masks were ridiculed, called babies and told to get over themselves. Now the vaccinated people who can’t stop wearing masks despite the CDC’s position that they’re not necessary are demanding that their comfort level be given consideration. Okay.

Last edited:

Lilofan

No no no.... watched way to many little children wrap those lips around the nozzle and suck the water out as fast as it dispensed. Stopped drinking out of those in middle school... a hundred years ago.
Guests on a budget still line up at the theme parks water fountain filling up their empty bottle water at the drinking fountain.

havoc315

If you look at the statistics by age and sex of dying from any cause over the next 12 months the risk of dying from COVID-19 becomes completely irrelevant once a person is fully vaccinated and that is calculating with the much higher community spread of a few months ago.

Again.. go back to my analysis. IF there is wide community spread, the risk is not infinitesimal. If community spread is low, the risk does become infinitesimal.

DisneyCane

Again.. go back to my analysis. IF there is wide community spread, the risk is not infinitesimal. If community spread is low, the risk does become infinitesimal.
There is no area in the USA where community spread is anywhere near high enough to make the risk to a fully vaccinated individual anything but infinitesimal. Even the States with the worst conditions currently are around 10 per 100k daily cases. I calculated negligible increased risk for vaccinated individuals (vs. risk of dying of any cause within 12 months) with daily case levels in the upper 20s per 100k.

The reality is that, in the USA, the current risk of death from COVID-19 for a fully vaccinated individual is infinitesimal. To essentially avoid any personal risk, go get vaccinated and you'll be fine and don't need to give COVID another thought.

DisneyCane

You do know that masks work both ways right? Before covid, people with compromised immune systems, like those going through chemo, wore masks when going out. It definitely was not to stop spreading what they had, but to stop things going into them. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. The whole "do it to protect others" was what they went with thinking that people had a bit more humanity and if they did not care about themselves, then they might care about others. They didn't say this because wearing a mask only works one way.
If somebody doesn't even care about themselves, they are not likely to care about anybody else.

JusticeDisney

A year ago people who were uncomfortable wearing masks were ridiculed, called babies and told to get over themselves. Now the vaccinated people who can’t stop wearing masks despite the CDC’s position that they’re not necessary are demanding that their comfort level be given consideration. Okay.
Laughable analogy. People who weren’t wearing masks a year ago were causing health risks to other people, at least according to the CDC. People who still want to wear masks at this time aren’t harming anyone. To compare the two situations is just plain ridiculous.

GaBoy

Best post of the entire thread!
I agree. It is largely an academic argument at this point as the trajectory of mandate lifting will not change the momentum that businesses and politics are driving. I generally look at this forum for news and information on changes to policy rather than changing opinion specifically related to Disney World..

havoc315

There is no area in the USA where community spread is anywhere near high enough to make the risk to a fully vaccinated individual anything but infinitesimal. Even the States with the worst conditions currently are around 10 per 100k daily cases. I calculated negligible increased risk for vaccinated individuals (vs. risk of dying of any cause within 12 months) with daily case levels in the upper 20s per 100k.

The reality is that, in the USA, the current risk of death from COVID-19 for a fully vaccinated individual is infinitesimal. To essentially avoid any personal risk, go get vaccinated and you'll be fine and don't need to give COVID another thought.

You’re making a lot of assumptions. The types of assumptions (it’s only 15 cases) they got us in trouble to begin with.
You’re assuming we have enough vaccination to prevent Autumn and Winter resurgence. But that’s an unknown. UK has seen over a 50% spike despite having a similar vaccination level as the US.
Especially in low vaccination communities, the threat of resurgence remains very real.

It’s important to acknowledge uncertainty and prepare for both the realistic best case and worst case scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom