News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

havoc315

I’m not sure how we call the end of that graph a spike. It could be the start of a spike (red line below), it could be the start of a plateau (yellow line below) or it could be noise (green line below). We need to wait a few weeks to see where things go.

View attachment 562370

A jump of 117% and still rising is definitely a spike. It is only a small spike relative to the earlier much larger spikes.

Let's put it this way... if the earlier spikes had never happened, the current spike would look MASSIVE.

This is Australia:

1623083862817.png

Wow... huge summer 2021 spike!!! But that's because the Y-axis has a high point of 600.
The UK Y-axis has a high point of 80,000!!!!!!

So yes, when you set a Y-axis to 80,000... a spike to 5,000 looks like nothing. If you set the Y-axis to 600, then a spike to 600 looks huge.

Putting the UK numbers in full context -- They have spiked back up to the numbers they were experiencing during the Spring 2020 surge! Their high case average in Spring 2020 was 4900 -- in Mid April 2020.
So they are now HIGHER than they were in mid April 2020.

There is no way to look at that and deny that it is a spike.
So far, thankfully, nothing like they saw in the winter, but it is still definitely a spike. Not talking about 10% variance here. It is a 117% increase in JUST 3 weeks.

Ripken10

A jump of 117% and still rising is definitely a spike. It is only a small spike relative to the earlier much larger spikes.

Let's put it this way... if the earlier spikes had never happened, the current spike would look MASSIVE.

This is Australia:

View attachment 562393
Wow... huge summer 2021 spike!!! But that's because the Y-axis has a high point of 600.
The UK Y-axis has a high point of 80,000!!!!!!

So yes, when you set a Y-axis to 80,000... a spike to 5,000 looks like nothing. If you set the Y-axis to 600, then a spike to 600 looks huge.

Putting the UK numbers in full context -- They have spiked back up to the numbers they were experiencing during the Spring 2020 surge! Their high case average in Spring 2020 was 4900 -- in Mid April 2020.
So they are now HIGHER than they were in mid April 2020.

There is no way to look at that and deny that it is a spike.
So far, thankfully, nothing like they saw in the winter, but it is still definitely a spike. Not talking about 10% variance here. It is a 117% increase in JUST 3 weeks.
Perhaps take this to the covid thread. This is off topic, and for those looking for mask updates for disney world it is not useful to argue. Neither one of you is going to convince the other.

MaryJaneP

Wasn't there a recent bunch of reports that certain fully vaccinated individuals that have different health conditions such as (including but not limited to) organ transplants, autoimmune disorders, cancer, and others, are unlikely to develop any immunity to any virus, including the Corona virus maybe partially due to the strong medications used to suppress their own immune systems? Do the anti-maskers really want individuals to choose between keeping an organ or forego their medications needed for life to drop a mask?

DisneyCane

Where I live we are now just 1 week past 6 weeks since the vaccines opened to everyone. If you are a young and healthy grocery store employee who didn’t jump the line and got their shot just a week or a little more after becoming eligible you may not be fully immune yet. Those workers don’t know now if an unmasked person is vaccinated or not. So even if I am fully vaccinated and no threat to them they don’t know that so keeping my mask on eliminates any anxiety they could have over my vaccination status. That’s why some people I know feel it’s being respectful. In a few more weeks that ship will have sailed. This is also why some people thought the CDC move was premature and that they should have waited until a few weeks past when anyone who wanted a vaccine would have gotten one and would be fully immune. Basically a week or 2 from now. In PA the mask mandates will be dropped for everyone by the end of June and then there’s really no issue with masks being dropped.

In FL you guys are probably already at that point since the vaccines opened to everyone earlier.
In my post, I specified outdoors at WDW (the only scenario where you can approach a CM maskless and be following the rules) because, according to the CDC, that situation is extremely low risk (vaccinated or not) and they don't need to have any anxiety.

We are definitely at the point in FL where anybody who was motivated at all and over 16 could have been fully vaccinated by now.

CarolinaSoprano

In my post, I specified outdoors at WDW (the only scenario where you can approach a CM maskless and be following the rules) because, according to the CDC, that situation is extremely low risk (vaccinated or not) and they don't need to have any anxiety.

We are definitely at the point in FL where anybody who was motivated at all and over 16 could have been fully vaccinated by now.
Right. And either we trust the CDC or we don't and either the vaccines work or they don't. This still needing masks to protect vaccinated people makes no sense!

seascape

Same here in PA/NJ.

After PA dropped the mask mandate a few weeks ago, I've only seen 1 person in a store without one.
In NJ, I haven't seen anyone in stores without them. However, we did have someone enter my workplace (an office) without one.

I think its just so confusing. Most places still have individual signs saying whether they are/aren't required or recommended. Then you have companies like my workplace that allow vaccinated employees to be mask-less but still require mask for all visitors.
Its too many rules to keep up with each business so its just easier to keep a mask on.

I don't wear one at work for the most part, however, we any of my colleagues approach me, I put the mask on. I plan to do the same when we head to WDW in a few weeks. Just seems respectful to put a mask on when interacting with a CM.
I went to thd Philadelphia Flower Show on Sunday and almost no one was wearing a mask. Yes, it was outside but in the vendor tents people were crowded together and still no masks. It was hot and sweaty and crowded. We loved the show and were thankful we are vaccinated and had our masks. I am more worried about catching something other than Covid19 whrn I am in crowds like that. Also. this morning I went to CVS to get some vitamins and the CVS worker at the door didn't have a mask but I would never go into a CVS without one.

Jlwise2021

We just got back from Disney yesterday. We had a wonderful trip and enjoyed not wearing masks outside. Putting the masks on for attractions and indoors was a bit annoying, considering we could go maskless literally anywhere but within Disney. I also spoke with cast members outside who were beyond frustrated in having to still wear the masks. Most folks we talked to in lines had been vaccinated like us, and I’m not one bit worried about my children who are too young to be vaccinated… so I’m not sure how that would be anyone else’s worry. I had to call and wait on hold for one hour to ask about missing ride photos— sure enough, some others on the ride had pulled down their masks, so the folks had to crop them out. Then, our photos appeared, but they would have never appeared if I hadn’t called they said. The cast member on the phone said that is why the hold times were so long because this was happening a lot.

I did see folks not wearing masks indoors and one guy got super angry when asked to put a mask on to enter World of Disney. He yelled at the CM and still went into the store. That was upsetting. Even though I didn’t want to wear a mask, I would never yell at a CM or disrespect rules.

side note— I did score a boarding group for ROTR— boarding group 7. Thanks for y’all’s help in understanding how to do this!

jaklgreen

If somebody doesn't even care about themselves, they are not likely to care about anybody else.
Oh, I agree. I always thought that that was a bad slogan to go with. They most definitely should have gone with the protect yourself and your family. The sad thing is that too many are incapable of free thinking and so they have to come up with these ridiculous statements to get people to do what is necessary.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

This implies that anxiety is directly tied to the scientific risk in the situation. It is not. Anxiety is often not rational.

ParentsOf4

I wasn't talking at all about anti-maskers or people who refused to wear masks - just those who expressed any level of discomfort or difficulty wearing them. They were flat-out called liars, told they were afraid of "a piece of cloth" and treated to lectures about oxygen levels and how wearing a mask was the same as wearing pants. I suspect much of that reaction was caused by fear that any acknowledgement of mask-wearing being difficult for some would be interpreted as an okay to stop wearing masks. Doesn't make it okay though, and I suspect those who were dishing it out feel differently when it's their own discomfort being dismissed.
I think I understand where you are coming from. The "two sides" are not being treated with the same level of respect. But the situation is completely different, so it's a false equivalency.

I'll phrase it differently.

Those who complained about wearing masks a year ago were told to suck it up because it was a pandemic! People were dying.

Those who are fully vaccinated today and still wear masks are...

What exactly are you complaining about?

Let's go back to you original quote:

A year ago people who were uncomfortable wearing masks were ridiculed, called babies and told to get over themselves. Now the vaccinated people who can’t stop wearing masks despite the CDC’s position that they’re not necessary are demanding that their comfort level be given consideration. Okay.​

Are you complaining that people don't want to be mocked for continuing to wear masks?

What exactly is wrong with that?

To me, it's very simple. We wore masks because it saved hundreds of thousands of lives. (Remember when the predictions were for 2 million dead?) We all had to tough it out the way our parents or grandparents toughed out the challenges of their generations.

But fully vaccinated people who continue to wear masks aren't hurting anyone.

Leave them alone!

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

So are you saying that those organ transplant individuals, cancer patients, etc, that have been "fully vaccinated", but whose conditions prevent their body from producing an immune response to Covid 19, and still need to wear a mask, make no sense?
Stop with the common sense and consideration for your fellow human. Those who are immunocompromised can stay home while the rest of us live. 🏃

ToTBellHop

Why is this even a discussion anymore? If you still need to mask up for whatever the reason, then do so. Those who are vaccinated, feel free not to unless the business requires or asks you do.
Sounds straightforward to me. And Disney will continue to loosen rules moving forward. The only question is how soon they remove the mandate altogether. I still see it gone by July 4. Only exception may be transportation to the parks. They want people packed on buses ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom