Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You can't think that way. It's too doom and gloom around here.
Be happy.

2021-06-04_15-59-46.jpg

seascape

Daily numbers have never been particularly useful, there are just two many things that skew the data.
The daily numbers are needed to calculate the 7 day average. I have been posting the daily 7 day average for months. They have dropped like a rock since January 8. 2021. The currect US average is 15,037. It was down about 1,000 from the day before. How are we going to know the US is down again today if every state doesn't report? What day are the states going to report on and what 7 day period are they going to use? There needs to be some consistency, plus daily testing allows states and local governments to know immediately if there is an outbreak. If that data is only put together one day a week outbreaks could be a week old when identified.

GimpYancIent

I think the people/organization is far more of a problem than the facilities. Japan had/has a reported 80,000 volunteers, not to mention all the referees/judges/timers/etc. that are needed for each sport. I think with less than 2 months there is no way this could be organized in a different location.

I'm also not sure what the big hang-up for the Japanese is. The vast majority of athletes have been vaccinated, and probably those support staff as well. And if not, there is still time now for it to happen.

I cannot imagine how crushing it would be for the athletes to have this canceled.
No question it would be a disaster on an Olympic scale, literally.

MaryJaneP

While daily numbers are used to calculate a 7 day average, it may only be the 7 day average that is reported. The public must "trust" that the unreported daily numbers do, in fact, average out to whatever number the entity decides to report as the 7 day average without having the underlying figures to "check the math".

Mark52479

Yes this is the way it will look from now on. NO MORE daily numbers. It will be released like this every Friday.

And also from what I can tell we can no longer see each individual county.

Also, As of 6:30pm hospitalizations in the state are down to 1,746. That will continue to be updated. Actually, the hospitalization page is updated HOURLY.

DisneyCane

The daily numbers are needed to calculate the 7 day average. I have been posting the daily 7 day average for months. They have dropped like a rock since January 8. 2021. The currect US average is 15,037. It was down about 1,000 from the day before. How are we going to know the US is down again today if every state doesn't report? What day are the states going to report on and what 7 day period are they going to use? There needs to be some consistency, plus daily testing allows states and local governments to know immediately if there is an outbreak. If that data is only put together one day a week outbreaks could be a week old when identified.
If you want to calculate it every day then sure. For FL, just divide the weekly total by 7 and you have a single data point once per week. The only reason 7 day averages have been being used is to smooth the daily fluctuations.

The daily numbers don't give real time notice of an outbreak. The test results don't get reported for several days after the swab was taken.

By far, the most accurate red flag for an outbreak is the hospitalization numbers. They mirror infections very closely. The ratio depends on the age of the infected but the curves will show if an outbreak is occurring very rapidly.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Yes this is the way it will look from now on. NO MORE daily numbers. It will be released like this every Friday.

And also from what I can tell we can no longer see each individual county.

Also, As of 6:30pm hospitalizations in the state are down to 1,746. That will continue to be updated. Actually, the hospitalization page is updated HOURLY.

There is some county data -

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 6.31.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 6.32.07 PM.png

DisneyCane

DisneyCane

One change that makes it more accurate is the vaccination data now only includes FL residents so the percentage isn't artificially high from vaccine tourism.

Also, somehow I didn't notice earlier but they started including percent of population vaccinated by age range.

BrianLo

I was off by a day in my prediction, but 60% of the total Canadian population has had at least one dose.

Still averaging about 5% of the population a week.

I feel fairly confident now that we’ll overtake Israel. We’re due for the pace to drop off, but there still is a backlog of booked appointments. Probably within a week.

I’m actually surprised Ontario is being so slow, as an aside. It’s weird how variably even we’ve had provinces manage this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom