News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
How about: neither is intrusive, both are great coasters, and, at some point, one must accept there’s constraints preventing someone’s precious perfect immersion?
hall of fame game missed the point GIF

UNCgolf

You've been able to hear and see hulk from that porch since before Hogsmeade was even around.

Which is one of the reasons Universal was typically a lesser experience than Disney for people like me. Diagon Alley is phenomenal and Hogsmeade is good, and I used to really enjoy the Jurassic Park area (Velocicoaster has really detracted from it), but generally they haven't cared about maintaining theming the way Disney did. Unfortunately, Disney has now pivoted in the opposite direction and is actively making the park experience worse with stuff like GotG, TRON, the lagoon barges, and so on. It's not that Disney has always been perfect, but they used to care a lot more than they do now.

Last edited:

sonoma15

Which is one of the reasons Universal was typically a lesser experience than Disney for people like me. Diagon Alley is phenomenal and Hogsmeade is good, and I used to really enjoy the Jurassic Park area (Velocicoaster has really detracted from it), but generally they haven't cared about maintaining theming the way Disney did. Unfortunately, Disney has now pivoted in the opposite direction and is actively making the park experience worse with stuff like GotG, TRON, the lagoon barges, and so on. It's not that Disney has always been perfect, but they used to care a lot more than they do now.
I don't know how you can think that Velocicoaster has detracted from the Jurassic Park area, the only thing it has done is add more. Have you been to Islands since the Velocicoaster opened?

BubbaisSleep

At least for now, the inability to get close to the Energy pavilion, Wonders of Life, and the center of the park means the Cosmic Rewind box isn't actually all that intrusive in the environment immediately around it. It's just utterly heinous when viewed from the World Showcase and is obviously horrendous from the parking lot. Curious to see how bad it will actually be once Cosmic Rewind, PLAY!, and World Celebration open, though.
Yeah I'm really curious to see how it looks from up close. So far every Epcot addition has left some kind of visible show building (Soarin & Rat) and now we have that scary looking rig in the middle of the lake.

UNCgolf

I don't know how you can think that Velocicoaster has detracted from the Jurassic Park area, the only thing it has done is add more. Have you been to Islands since the Velocicoaster opened?

Because it's an exposed track coaster. There was no roller coaster in Jurassic Park, and seeing/hearing it go around you is a distraction from the themed environment.

Almost all exposed track coasters make the area they are in worse if it's a theme park and not an amusement park. It is possible to have an exposed track coaster that fits the theme, but only in very specific situations. Slinky Dog is one that probably could have worked as part of the Andy's backyard theme if they hadn't done such a terrible job designing/constructing all of it.

I realize this is a minority opinion, and I'm not saying anyone is wrong for thinking otherwise, but roller coasters aren't interesting to me unless they are heavily themed. That's nearly impossible to do to any high standard when they're outside.

Last edited:

owlsandcoffee

I realize this is a minority opinion, and I'm not saying anyone is wrong for thinking otherwise, but roller coasters aren't interesting to me unless they are heavily themed. That's nearly impossible to do at any high standard when they're outside.

I disagree but see your point and respect your opinion.

UNCgolf

I disagree but see your point and respect your opinion.

I should have clarified that it depends on the type of coaster. Something like 7DMT is pretty well themed (and could have been even moreso if they'd followed through on the original plans/concept art), as is Big Thunder Mountain. When building something like Velocicoaster with high intensity thrills that require significant elevation changes, inversions, etc., though, I don't think intricate theming is really possible without enclosing it -- and that's not really feasible for something like the Velocicoaster. It certainly hasn't been done anywhere yet, at least to my knowledge.

sonoma15

Because it's an exposed track coaster. There was no roller coaster in Jurassic Park, and seeing/hearing it go around you is a distraction from the themed environment.

Almost all exposed track coasters make the area they are in worse if it's a theme park and not an amusement park. It is possible to have an exposed track coaster that fits the theme, but only in very specific situations. Slinky Dog is one that probably could have worked as part of the Andy's backyard theme if they hadn't done such a terrible job designing/constructing all of it.

I realize this is a minority opinion, and I'm not saying anyone is wrong for thinking otherwise, but roller coasters aren't interesting to me unless they are heavily themed. That's nearly impossible to do to any high standard when they're outside.
You realize Jurassic Park is a theme park? For one, the coaster has a lot of theming and for two its supposed to be themed like a coaster that would be built in jurassic park/world. It really sounds like you havent been to islands since this opened because the jurassic park side is heavily themed.

UNCgolf

You realize Jurassic Park is a theme park? For one, the coaster has a lot of theming and for two its supposed to be themed like a coaster that would be built in jurassic park/world. It really sounds like you havent been to islands since this opened because the jurassic park side is heavily themed.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but Jurassic Park didn't actually have a roller coaster in the movie (or the book, IIRC) and doesn't seem like it would fit Hammond's vision. Just saying "well they could have maybe built one!" isn't a great reason. The park that exists in Jurassic World is more likely to have had a coaster, but Jurassic World is also terrible compared to Jurassic Park.

The coaster itself isn't heavily themed. It has some theming, yes -- it's certainly better than something like the Hulk or Rip Ride Rockit -- but there's still exposed track all over. The old Jurassic Park area was much better without it for me.

Last edited:

Kev1982

Probabely will get shot here😂 but I think all parks should close and be replaced by virtual parks where every visitor can create there own rides and environments before arriving. Nothing parks build or do these days is good enough so that would solve that. I for one am grateful for everything new. Yes some things are better than others but at least things are happening!
I think if we could have a filter on the forums where you can select to only see the positive comments, you will be done in 2 minutes... Everybody has their own opinion, thats what forums are for but come on, even if they would be adding a new trashcan people will spit on it for its looks or placement.

Movielover

Yes, I'm aware of that, but Jurassic Park didn't actually have a roller coaster in the movie (or the book, IIRC) and doesn't seem like it would fit Hammond's vision.
Well there was The Bone Shaker in Jurassic Park The Game by Telltale Games, and while it's not official cannon it was made as a direct sequel to the first movie taking place right after the ending on Isla Nublar.

latest

Just saying "well they could have maybe built one!" isn't a great reason.

Yeah, no zoological park with a focus on live animals would dare to have a roller coaster like attraction. It's totally unheard of...

giraffe+feeding.jpg

Oh...

0814_n13_seaworld_orlando_entrance

Um...

maxresdefault.jpg

Well that's just one Six Flags...

six-flags-discovery-kingdom.jpg

Oh um... Well it's not a Disney park...

expedition-everest-roller-coaster-aerial-view-big.jpg

well... Yeah it's highly unlikely that a Zoological Theme Park with a focus on profit like in the movie would ever resort to adding a rollercoaster! 👀

but there's still exposed track all over.
Ah yes, exposed coaster track. The Bogeyman of all theme park enthusiasts. "My theme park would never put exposed rollercoaster track anywhere" as they sip their tea and adjust their monocle.

I hate to say it but non-exposed coaster track is not a thing. Sure you can hide the supports like some (not all) of classic Disney coasters but track will always be exposed. You will always know you are on a rollercoaster. Sorry to shatter that illusion, but it is still just a theme park attraction.

Movielover

Personally I’d have liked the dark ride E in the Discovery Center instead of another outside launched coaster so near Hagrids but when you get the offer of a BOGOHP what you gonna do?
I would have liked them to have built the original Jeep Tour indoor E-ticket whose location was taken by Forbidden Journey, But I must say Velocicoaster looks very entertaining and I can't wait to ride it.

UNCgolf

Well there was The Bone Shaker in Jurassic Park The Game by Telltale Games, and while it's not official cannon it was made as a direct sequel to the first movie taking place right after the ending on Isla Nublar.

latest

Yeah, no zoological park with a focus on live animals would dare to have a roller coaster like attraction. It's totally unheard of...

giraffe+feeding.jpg

Oh...

0814_n13_seaworld_orlando_entrance

Um...

maxresdefault.jpg

Well that's just one Six Flags...

six-flags-discovery-kingdom.jpg

Oh um... Well it's not a Disney park...

expedition-everest-roller-coaster-aerial-view-big.jpg

well... Yeah it's highly unlikely that a Zoological Theme Park with a focus on profit like in the movie would ever resort to adding a rollercoaster! 👀

Ah yes, exposed coaster track. The Bogeyman of all theme park enthusiasts. "My theme park would never put exposed rollercoaster track anywhere" as they sip their tea and adjust their monocle.

I hate to say it but non-exposed coaster track is not a thing. Sure you can hide the supports like some (not all) of classic Disney coasters but track will always be exposed. You will always know you are on a rollercoaster. Sorry to shatter that illusion, but it is still just a theme park attraction.

Most of the coasters at Disney don't have outdoor exposed track overhead that's visible from all over. It has nothing to do with the actual roller coaster track itself or knowing you're on a roller coaster; it's what it does to the surrounding area.

Expedition Everest is very different than Velocicoaster and an example of a coaster done well in a theme park; it undermines your point.

I don't have a problem with roller coasters, and there are certain themed areas where they can work as exposed track overhead (as I mentioned above, SDD could have worked if they'd done a better job designing it to actually look like a toy playset). But if you put something like the Velocicoaster running over Main Street USA, it would seriously detract from the theme and the overall experience, which is the point. It would be a disaster somewhere like Galaxy's Edge too -- you're on an alien planet, but just ignore that roller coaster going overhead!

To be fair, it does make more sense in Jurassic Park than it would in a place like Galaxy's Edge because, as you said, it's a theme park inside a theme park. But I definitely preferred the old Universal JP to the new, and the jeep ride Martin mentioned sounds like something far better than what we got.

Last edited:

Movielover

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom