News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Who cares whether Tron is an "E-Ticket"? Everyone here seems to have their own made up criteria for what constitutes an E-Ticket, and the conversation just goes around in circles. Let's leave the E-Ticket discussion back in 1982 where it belongs.

Maybe we should argue about metrics that matter. How will the demand for Tron compare to other attractions? What will guest satisfaction look like? How does Tron round out the offerings of the park? How will Tron be marketed? How will Tron affect the park environment?

EricsBiscuit

Who cares whether Tron is an "E-Ticket"? Everyone here seems to have their own made up criteria for what constitutes an E-Ticket, and the conversation just goes around in circles. Let's leave the E-Ticket discussion back in 1982 where it belongs.

Maybe we should argue about metrics that matter. How will the demand for Tron compare to other attractions? What will guest satisfaction look like? How does Tron round out the offerings of the park? How will Tron be marketed? How will Tron affect the park environment?
That’s too logical.

GimpYancIent

WOW! That's a lot of how's. I do not see, other than maybe Nostradamus, anyone with clairvoyance to accurately provide and answer.

mergatroid

While I agree that a wait-and-see approach is in order from inside the park, I think it's always going to be more of an issue here because it does damage to views of the park from outside of it (e.g. from the Contemporary), and it seems unlikely they'll resolve that.
Not disagreeing however the old Magic Kingdom Skyway gave a lot more 'backstage' and 'ugly views' away and that was designed when Walt was around. Not only was 20,000 Leagues show building blatantly exposed, but also the show buildings of It's a small world and the Haunted Mansion. Add to that the not so attractive roofs of many buildings. Even today the Haunted Mansion show building can be seen slightly from the queue and quite easily from the upper deck of the river boat.

I'm not denying that if Disney wanted to spend more money hiding the Tron show building, that they could have perhaps done a better job of doing so. I guess they figure out the costs completely hiding it compared to not and then make a decision based on the numbers. They probably then think is it worth spending $5 million more (a complete guess) to hide the building to appease those people who want everything perfect or not? They also probably weigh up is the few seconds the average guest will spend thinking about it worth the extra money? The reality is that they've already spent a huge amount of money theming the attraction already, that should be done with every attraction and that goes without saying. There is a point however where rightly or wrongly they decide that x million more just isn't worth it.

Similarly it's probably like how Walt was ok with the Skyway showing some pretty 'magic killing' sights because the cost of theming the show buildings from that viewpoint would have been so expensive. It could have been done, but it wasn't and more than certainly that was because of the cost. As a kid on the Skyway I loved it as it gave me an insight into the workings of the park but I remember my dad complaining about it bitterly. Similarly to those who have nervous breakdowns when they see a McDonalds or Starbucks logo in the Magic Kingdom saying "Walt would never had allowed that" without realising that there were advertising logos in Disneylands Magic Kingdom when it opened.

I'd prefer the Tron building better hidden than how we've been told it will be. However there has to be a point between what we want and what's financially viable. We can debate whether that amount is fair or not, however how many on here know those exact figures? Personally I love the curved canopy that we're told cost a huge amount to build due to it's shape etc. If they'd spent less on that they could probably have a plainer, simpler canopy covering all angles but it probably wouldn't have looked as impressive from inside Tomorrowland. If I were to choose one of those two options, then I'd take the trade off and take the one being built.

Last edited:

mergatroid

WOW! That's a lot of how's. I do not see, other than maybe Nostradamus, anyone with clairvoyance to accurately provide and answer.
Why would they need clairvoyance when they could look at the already existing Tron attraction and get the answers there? That's probably what they've done rather than just guess. The only other way of judging an E Ticket I've seen displayed is to take what people think on here which is an even bigger number of hows including whether people like it or not.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

I don't care if it's an E-ticket or not. The only metric I use is how it compares to other coasters out there.

MurphyJoe

It's comments like these that tempt the Disney park gods into using A-E virtual tickets as part of a paid FP system.

Demand? High. It's new. It's shiny. And it has glowy lights.
Satisfaction? About as long as the attraction.
Round out? The canopy is kinda bulbous.
Marketed? In quick TV spots and billboards.
Affect? Will they need to turn down the canopy during fireworks?

J4546

I wish the tron coaster lasted more than 1 minute, but I still look forward to this and think it will add a lot of great kinetic energy to tomorrow land and hopefully be the start of a major rejuvenation to that area. for comparison sake, the aerosmith RnRC is also only a minute long and people like it. The new velocicoaster is only 1:10 long and people are raving about it.

Disney Analyst

I wish the tron coaster lasted more than 1 minute, but I still look forward to this and think it will add a lot of great kinetic energy to tomorrow land and hopefully be the start of a major rejuvenation to that area. for comparison sake, the aerosmith RnRC is also only a minute long and people like it. The new velocicoaster is only 1:10 long and people are raving about it.

In general launch coasters are fast, and don’t last long. But I think the interior experience at Tron is a winner.

Not everything can be the size of Screamin’ IncredIcoaster

lazyboy97o

I'd prefer the Tron building better hidden than how we've been told it will be. However there has to be a point between what we want and what's financially viable. We can debate whether that amount is fair or not, however how many on here know those exact figures? Personally I love the curved canopy that we're told cost a huge amount to build due to it's shape etc. If they'd spent less on that they could probably have a plainer, simpler canopy covering all angles but it probably wouldn't have looked as impressive from inside Tomorrowland. If I were to choose one of those two options, then I'd take the trade off and take the one being built.
Expedition Everest was built for a fraction of the cost. There is more than enough money for there to not be such big trade offs.

mergatroid

Expedition Everest was built for a fraction of the cost. There is more than enough money for there to not be such big trade offs.
I think they could do it if they wanted to also. However as with the criticism of anything it comes at a price for the company, just as with the Skyway in the MK and to a far lesser degree, the views from the Astro Orbiter. I actually remember Expedition Everest being hugely criticised on this forum because the show building is there for all to see as you circle around the back of the parking lot. I remember the day somebody posted that they were going to paint a village onto the building and add a few trees and all the complaining that created.

I get that people want the best for Disney and that this forum is a place for all opinions for and against. There's definitely times when Disney and Universal both choose to save money that we question, that's all good. Perhaps I'm too much of a half full glass type or perhaps as I've got older I just don't worry about whether on the trip to the MK on the monorail I see the Tron show building for a few seconds?

Sometimes it just feels a bit like some people just look for things to complain about all the time on here. Note I say some because there's lots who are just honest and say how they feel, both good and bad. However there's some who are just falling over each other to find fault, at least that's how it feels at times with a minority. It's perhaps a bit like the boy who cried wolf syndrome also, in as much as when there's some valid complaints they're glossed over by myself depending on who's saying it. But it's all about opinions as they say.

lazyboy97o

However as with the criticism of anything it comes at a price for the company,
Yes, there is a cost but you get to a point where the cost isn’t the problem. If you paid me $1 million dollars to build you a house on a lot you already own and the result was a trailer with a really nice patio you would rightfully be annoyed. Yes, a custom built house costs more than a trailer but the amount you paid was more than enough for a sizable house.

mergatroid

Yes, there is a cost but you get to a point where the cost isn’t the problem. If you paid me $1 million dollars to build you a house on a lot you already own and the result was a trailer with a really nice patio you would rightfully be annoyed. Yes, a custom built house costs more than a trailer but the amount you paid was more than enough for a sizable house.
:D

I honestly don't know the breakdown of costs, happy for anyone to educate me though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom