News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Rich Brownn

I was disappointed by the theming of Velocicoaster. I mean, I always found it a disappointment to wrap possibly the second most iconic building from the series in roller coaster track. When this was beginning, it felt like having a roller coaster have a portion run around the front of the Tower of Heaven in the China Pavilion through the gardens. It would look cool and probably be enjoyable on the ride to experience, but it's kinda killing the mood and immersion.

But it's been a year or so and I've gotten over that and looked forward to seeing how it looked given all the discussion and leadup. And now, having seen the finish space, it looks a little cheap. The queue looks cool but load looks like a sterile airport or train station. The other interior parts of the ride and a lot of the walls of the "raptor enclosure" someone gave them kudos for creating looks like a thin piece of corrugated steel. It reminds me of the shower stall my family talks about when they visited family in the Caribbean.

I was expecting the same level as Hagrids, but the interior of the enclosure is more akin to a mini-golf course with static statues and features sitting in a sea of stone and gravel. So, in the end, it looks like a concrete box with some figures, a little fence, and some black track. But none of that matters because the whole point is the thrilling feeling of it. It could have had no theming and run through the entire land with the same elements and it would succeed at what it wants to do and the people looking forward to it would get what they want.

Aw, man. That would be incredible. If the ride took place in night with an atmosphere akin to E.T.? It would look twice as great as it is now and the thrills could be heightened by not knowing what's coming a la Space Mountain. The drop section could be less close and more open as it wouldn't be in its own building but in the overall building of the ride.

Dangit, that sounds cool.
The load station is literally out of the Jurassic World movie. And the design doesn't wrap around the Discovery Center building. In fact it was designed not only to not cover the front of the view, but designed to frame the building. Complaining a ride looks like the very film it's copying seems a bit of a stretch to me. Thats like complaining the TRON ride load area looks like neon.

999th Happy Haunt

But about the same length ride as Mine Train...with no animatronics...

But the canopy frame is already finished and in place...you can clearly still see the big box... You can see it in Shanghai too...they even put a large "TRON" sign on the side of the building because it is so visible.
The box is there, but it still doesn’t look bad. I won’t be looking at it anyway since the canopy is clearly the most interesting part of the building.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
To be clear, I’m judging an E-Ticket by the crowd it draws combined with the overall scale, since that’s what Disney would probably use them to designate if the ticket system was in use today.
By that definition TSMM would be an E. It’s big and has long lines. A big plastic canopy with LED lights and an exterior coaster track in front of a big warehouse don’t just make an E.

999th Happy Haunt

By that definition TSMM would be an E. It’s big and has long lines. A big plastic canopy with LED lights and an exterior coaster track in front of a big warehouse don’t just make an E.
I’ll guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree here, wish there was an agreed upon set of criteria that we could use to rank modern attractions on the ticket scale.

No Name

In my opinion, TSMM is an E-ticket attraction, and at the very least, it certainly was 10 years ago.

- It is my favorite attraction
- It was the most popular attraction at the resort for years
- It had extremely high demand

I’m not asking anyone to agree that TSMM is an E-ticket attraction, or that Tron will be, but I hope we can simply agree that it’s extremely subjective and largely pointless.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Tickets levels were original based on cost to ride. Rather than paying the price at the entrance of the ride with cash, you bought tickets of varying values and you used the ticket to 'pay' for riding the ride.

And the cost of the ride was based originally on the cost to build and maintain the ride. That's why Space Mountain was an E and a spinner was a B or C Ticket.

Over time, ticket 'levels' were used as crowd control to encourage people to go on less popular rides, which was cleverly marketed in the discounted ticket book which had more lower tiered tickets than the big E ticket rides.

So, for park enthusiasts who want to use the Ticket Level as an indicator of how wonderful and stupendous a ride is... even Walt's old ticket system was never intended for that. Granted, the rides that were more expensive to build, and thus wound up being an E-Ticket, were usually top tiered ride experiences... but not necessarily so.

Once the Ticket system went away, we were left with what guests presumed were E Ticket rides and what Imagineering thought were E Ticket rides.

For guests: If it's fancy and popular with long lines, then it's an E Ticket. But, guests can have different opinions of whether the ride deserves its popularity and if it's really good or bad... in their opinion.

For Imagineering: If it's fully themed (where it is in the park, queue, and ride) and expensive and using cutting edge gimmicks, it's an E Ticket.

So, we could theoretically get an insider to share with us the list of all the rides that WDI considers an E-Ticket and that would settle everything, right? Absolutely not. I'm sure you all can see how WDI is thought of on this board. If their list has a ride listed as an E-Ticket, and someone here thinks it should be a D-Ticket, then they'll just lambaste WDI for being a bunch of idiots who don't get what Disney really is and stands for.

And if guests differ over what an E-Ticket is and people here don't trust WDI to come up with a Ticket level designation then that leads to only one place... Ticket level distinctions are now meaningless.

Last edited:

Giss Neric

I was wondering if Tron is considered E-Ticket in Shanghai Disney? Tron, Pirates, and Soarin are the Top 3 rides there so I assume it's their E-Tickets. Is the definition different depending on location or Tron no matter where it is will be perceived as the same?

Ripken10

Tickets levels were original based on cost to ride. Rather than paying the price at the entrance of the ride with cash, you bought tickets of varying values and you used the ticket to 'pay' for riding the ride.

And the cost of the ride was based originally on the cost to build and maintain the ride. That's why Space Mountain was an E and a spinner was a B or C Ticket.

Over time, ticket 'levels' were used as crowd control to encourage people to go on less popular rides, which was cleverly marketed in the discounted ticket book which had more lower tiered tickets than the big E ticket rides.

So, for park enthusiasts who want to use the Ticket Level as an indicator of how wonderful and stupendous a ride is... even Walt's old ticket system was never intended for that. Granted, the rides that were more expensive to build, and thus wound up being an E-Ticket, were usually top tiered ride experiences... but not necessarily so.

Once the Ticket system went away, we were left with what guests presumed were E Ticket rides and what Imagineering thought were E Ticket rides.

For guests: If it's fancy and popular with long lines, then it's an E Ticket. But, guests can have different opinions of whether the ride deserves its popularity and if it's really good or bad... in their opinion.

For Imagineering: If it's fully themed (where it is in the park, queue, and ride) and expensive and using cutting edge gimmicks, it's an E Ticket.

So, we could theoretically get an insider to share with us the list of all the rides that WDI considers an E-Ticket and that would settle everything, right? Absolutely not. I'm sure you all can see how WDI is thought of on this board. If their list has a ride listed as an E-Ticket, and someone here thinks it should be a D-Ticket, then they'll just lambaste WDI for being a bunch of idiots who don't get what Disney really is and stands for.

And if guests differ over what an E-Ticket is and people here don't trust WDI to come up with a Ticket level designation then that leads to only one place... Ticket level distinctions are now meaningless.
Spot on. I wish this post could show up everytime these arguments come up. Great post

Touchdown

You haven’t lived until you experience a giga coaster in the rain. Once got stuck on Millennium Force in a classic pop up Sandusky Deluge. 92mph in the rain, I officially know what it’s like to be in a level 2 hurricane (wind while not much was blowing into the drop.)

Animaniac93-98

a reminder that Hall of Presidents was an E-ticket when MK opened

The OG MK E-tickets

1622292618818.png

Here from October 1971 is the first Walt Disney World "E" Ticket. There are actually a number of changes in just one year so the 1972 ticket used in the prior post was way off;
  • The "Hall of Presidents" and the "Country Bear Jamboree" will move UP to the "E" in 1972, they start off in 1971 on the "D" (see 1971 "D" below).
  • The "Mickey Mouse Revue" will move down to the "D" ticket in 1972.
  • This one was news to me, In 1972 the "Tropical Serenade" will become the "Enchanted Tiki Birds" and move down to the "D" ticket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom