News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElvisMickey

I’m so excited! Super hopeful that Disney does what Universal and most other theme parks have done. It’s beyond ridiculous that masks aren’t optional or recommended already versus mandatory. The vaccines are widely available, and it’s time for folks who want to mask up to do so and those that feel comfortable not masking up to have that option. We arrive at Disney tomorrow!! 🙌🏻
Have a great trip! It’s hot down here so stay cool 🥵😎

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
WDW isn’t dropping immediately. Even though they said no enforcement, Universal still drew a line between vaccinated and unvaccinated. Disney will not do that.

That said, it will likely be dropped at Disney within the next month, for better or worse.
Yep I agree. I think WDW will wait until at least Orange County make the move.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
WDW isn’t dropping immediately. Even though they said no enforcement, Universal still drew a line between vaccinated and unvaccinated. Disney will not do that.

That said, it will likely be dropped at Disney within the next month, for better or worse.
I would agree...probably will wait until their new wave of hires gets acclimated and Orange County meets its recommendation targets...

early to mid June

Bars in some cities were holding mask burning parties. Doubtful the watering holes at Disney will do the same.
Average iq in those bars??

DCBaker

Premium Member

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Ripken10

He's clearly talking about family spending time together for the Holiday, not Phase 3 -

"Fully vaccinated family members can enjoy their time with one another – both indoors and outdoors – without a mask".
I find this...interesting. I agree to an extent. But he also clearly said Phase 3 would begin when the 14 day rolling average was below 5%, which he clearly stated it was.

So I think he went as far as to say they are in Phase 3 without saying it. The official announcement will come on Wednesday. That's what I think at least.

Jlwise2021

Well the Orange County mayor seems to have dropped the mask requirements for both indoor and outdoor this afternoon.

see: https://newsroom.ocfl.net/media-adv...nge-county-mayor-jerry-l-demings-may-28-2021/
Yup! That news comment clearly says that fully vaccinated can enjoy time indoors and outdoors without a mask! This must have prompted Universal’s move on dropping the mandatory masking, and I’ll bet Disney does follow by tomorrow. They now have that cover and also can’t say “due to local mandates” as a reason for requiring the masks.

robhedin

He's clearly talking about family spending time together for the Holiday, not Phase 3 -

"Fully vaccinated family members can enjoy their time with one another – both indoors and outdoors – without a mask".
Possibly. Although I don’t generally wear masks at home, indoors around my family.
Homes I wasn’t expecting him to say anything about masks today;

dovetail65

I can see this going either way:
The argument can be made that you should only wear a mask if you are actively sick, so we shouldn't allow masks in public places, as that indicates a person is sick. But you would need to make exceptions to the rule for those who are immunocompromised and need to wear actual, properly fitted medical grade masks to protect themselves.

As you can see, there is a problem with needing to make exceptions, so it could be allowed, but strictly voluntary.

Which way will it go? It really depends on what the public will accept. Masks have presented a lot of other issues, including spreading certain diseases themselves by their very nature and a lot of issues for law enforcement. So, the opinions may go either way.

Honestly, I think we would have been better off keeping the temperature checks, which might not have done much for COVID, but they would catch other things like the Flu.

But what I don't see is the public ever accepting mandatory mask mandates again, instead they will insist that everyone take responsibility for themselves. I could be proven wrong, but really hope I am not on this last point.
My main concern is this. When we get to the point where the odds scientifically demonstrate we just do not need masks inside for the masses that Disney is going to keep the mask rule to protect the 1% that will benefit from it.

Today Disney put up more masks signs at a few problem areas. I for one hope these don't last but 30 days or less.

Disney can do as they want, for me I won't go back until the masks aren't required anywhere. I went out today to Walmart and Starbucks and wore no mask for the first time since the Pandemic and saw exactly ZERO Masks on non workers, I was surprised adn was tentative having my mask in my hand, no sir you don't need it. Only Starbucks employees had them on and I would say less then half the Walmart employees.

How Disney expects people to spend 50 to 1000 a day or more and then ask them and make sure their kids wear masks(that are very uncomfortable during summer) when every place other than Disney does not require them is beyond me. 3 minutes out of Disney masks are not required.

I live in two states, IL is far more pro mask than Fl. Still, even in IL no masks are needed anywhere but schools, hospitals, Dr office's and care homes(I think that's it ). The nurses Unions in IL are against the mask rules lapsing, below is a link to their take on it.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

incorrect...mask mandate expired last night for me...masks up signs still at the vast majority of businesses today

it will take time.

if you think Comcast is gonna force Disney into something...you haven’t been paying attention.
Most of the national retailers changed the policy to fully vaccinated not required to wear masks wherever there isn't a local mandate. If the mandate expired, they may not have changed the sign yet but the official policy was already changed.

Comcast seems to have forced Disney into reopening sooner than they planned last year so I'm not so sure it won't happen again.

As for Orange County, a government mandate implies something that is enforceable through either civil or criminal penalties. Orange County's is enforceable by neither and hasn't been for several weeks. Therefore, there is no mandate. If the mandate still existed, Seaworld and Universal would not be able to allow the fully vaccinated to go maskless indoors.

dovetail65

Most of the national retailers changed the policy to fully vaccinated not required to wear masks wherever there isn't a local mandate. If the mandate expired, they may not have changed the sign yet but the official policy was already changed.

Comcast seems to have forced Disney into reopening sooner than they planned last year so I'm not so sure it won't happen again.

As for Orange County, a government mandate implies something that is enforceable through either civil or criminal penalties. Orange Counties is enforceable by neither and hasn't been for several weeks. Therefore, there is no mandate. If the mandate still existed, Seaworld and Universal would not be able to allow the fully vaccinated to go maskless indoors.
Orange count FL from what I understand already lifted any and all rules anyhow. It appears Disney is on it's own requiring masks at all. Even a day or so ago the Mayor made a statement that to some residents meant mask are in the past already(not to me, but many took it that way).

IF Disney does not lift this mask rule shortly we may hear about 500 people all at once refusing to wear the masks inside. The locals, the AP holders, the Florida residents for the most part want Disney open 100% for both jobs and leisure and they don't want masks inside or out. All it will take is one super hot day, one cast member saying the wrong thing to the right couple in the right group and all of a sudden those 500 people might all at once say F it, we are not wearing masks in here what are you going to do. Then Disney will need either try to toss out 500 people at once or let it go. Throwing out mass people will not fly in the media. Everyday we have more people being vaccinated more and more residents and visitors are thinking not hey put on that mask, but right or wrong, hey we don't need that mask.

Disney needs feel the mood and from the feeling I get from my neighbors down there(my house is 5 min from Disney) if the current trends stand as far as Covid % or it keeps dropping and Disney doesn't let the mask thing go within a month or so it's going to explode down there.

CatesMom

So interesting to see the different perspectives. Here in Northern Virginia, all mitigations, including mask mandates, have ended for vaccinated individuals. Our case rates are extremely low. And our population is highly vaccinated. Yet, I have not yet seen ANYONE in any store without a mask. I'm sure that will change eventually, but it will go out with a whimper rather than a bang.

SoFloMagic

So interesting to see the different perspectives. Here in Northern Virginia, all mitigations, including mask mandates, have ended for vaccinated individuals. Our case rates are extremely low. And our population is highly vaccinated. Yet, I have not yet seen ANYONE in any store without a mask. I'm sure that will change eventually, but it will go out with a whimper rather than a bang.
Here in central Florida most of our mitigations have been gone for six months, our population is not very well vaccinated, and our positivity rate is arount 5x higher than yours. And people are still rallying against what minor mask mandates still exist.

My guess and hope is that disney waits until the indoor mask mandate is lifted in orange county before dropping indoor masks. We've come too far to lose it at the finish line.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yup! That news comment clearly says that fully vaccinated can enjoy time indoors and outdoors without a mask! This must have prompted Universal’s move on dropping the mandatory masking, and I’ll bet Disney does follow by tomorrow. They now have that cover and also can’t say “due to local mandates” as a reason for requiring the masks.

The only thing Disney has ever done on 12 hours notice is raise prices

As for Orange County, a government mandate implies something that is enforceable through either civil or criminal penalties. Orange County's is enforceable by neither and hasn't been for several weeks. Therefore, there is no mandate. If the mandate still existed, Seaworld and Universal would not be able to allow the fully vaccinated to go maskless indoors.

important part

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here in central Florida most of our mitigations have been gone for six months, our population is not very well vaccinated, and our positivity rate is arount 5x higher than yours. And people are still rallying against what minor mask mandates still exist.

My guess and hope is that disney waits until the indoor mask mandate is lifted in orange county before dropping indoor masks. We've come too far to lose it at the finish line.

...stop being so logical, will ya?

how am I going to demand I get my parade back for my DD and DS tomorrow?!? 😡

Wendy Pleakley

The problem is far too many people think 38% vaccinated is the finish line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom