News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
EPCOT will become the festival capital of the world, and once GotG opens, of the Universe. As such, they probably want wide open party spaces where folks can get their festival on. Its what EPCOT has been for a while, they are just making it official. Pretty clear why @marni1971 is so ticked off about it.
Makes that ever rising admission price seem all the more worth it right? Pay more to find more barren areas where you can spend more.

The Bobs are laughing at this all the way to their bonuses. And are using their new social media mouthpiece to try and appease the rising tide of dismissal.

The_Jobu

Makes that ever rising admission price seem all the more worth it right? Pay more to find more barren areas where you can spend more.

The Bobs are laughing at this all the way to their bonuses. And are using their new social media mouthpiece to try and appease the rising tide of dismissal.
To be honest I'm kinda relieved all those updates were cancelled. Didn't really see the need for the world's biggest lounge in the middle of the park and a Moana waterfall.

I'm surprised Space 220 got through , it actually seems creative and integrated

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

The Zach gives new meaning to the phrase, “If you can’t win them with facts, dazzle them with bull”, doesn’t he?

Phicinfan

To be honest I'm kinda relieved all those updates were cancelled. Didn't really see the need for the world's biggest lounge in the middle of the park and a Moana waterfall.

I'm surprised Space 220 got through , it actually seems creative and integrated
Moana is still happening isn't it? But yeah the giant bar stool is off for now :D

DCBaker

Premium Member
E2fl_7wWYAERcxJ.jpg

The Aracuan Bird

Wait, what? It's a series of two nouns in every case. It's just that the "understood" order is reversed. So, a "world of discovery", a "world of nature", and a "world of celebration" versus a "showcase of the world". None of them are ever intended as verbs.
The world is the noun. It’s the theme. The countries of the world. Showcase can be a noun, but can also be a verb. It’s the World’s Countries on display.

Semantics aside, it’s a weird thing to link the different concepts by. They intentionally worded the “new” areas that way to match up with World Showcase, instead of something like “World of Discovery” or “Celebration World”. In their heads, that’s how they link them up. They all share the word “World”. But “the World” is the theme of World Showcase. “The World” is not the theme of World Nature, Nature is the theme.

The Aracuan Bird

I think the park is going to flop harder. Higher cost of admission for stuff you can get without admission cost at the Springs? What’s the incentive? A coaster based on C-List comic characters? Yeah, that’s going to work out well I’m 10 years when we’re years past their peak relevancy.

James Alucobond

The world is the noun. It’s the theme. The countries of the world. Showcase can be a noun, but can also be a verb. It’s the World’s Countries on display.
You said they were making "world" a verb, which they clearly are not since it's impossible. They're just playing with word order, like the "Hotel California" instead of the "California Hotel". There's nothing especially awkward about it, and it seems like reaching for things to complain about when there are already plenty of overtly problematic things to complain about.

The Aracuan Bird

You said they were making "world" a verb, which they clearly are not since it's impossible. They're just playing with word order, like the "Hotel California" instead of the "California Hotel". There's nothing especially awkward about it, and it seems like reaching for things to complain about when there are already plenty of overtly problematic things to complain about.
Fair enough. Like the quality of the attractions!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The baffling part is, in “World Showcase”, World is the noun, Showcase is the verb. But to link it with WS, the new names are making “world” the verb. It just sounds off. If World Nature’s theme is Nature, is World Showcase’s theme suppose to be “Showcase”? Huh?

Wait, what? It's a series of two nouns in every case. It's just that the "understood" order is reversed. So, a "world of discovery", a "world of nature", and a "world of celebration" versus a "showcase of the world". None of them are ever intended as verbs.

Semantics aside, it’s a weird thing to link the different concepts by. They intentionally worded the “new” areas that way to match up with World Showcase, instead of something like “World of Discovery” or “Celebration World”. In their heads, that’s how they link them up. They all share the word “World”. But “the World” is the theme of World Showcase. “The World” is not the theme of World Nature, Nature is the theme.

In English, words can take on different parts of speech depending on their context, and do so with or without modification.

With modification, it's usually a suffix that does the trick: "swift" is an adjective, "swiftly" is an adverb.

Without modification, it's understood as a different part of speech solely by context.

"Showcase" is a noun. On the Price Is Right, you'll heare "Johnny, tell them about today's showcase."

In the phrase "World Showcase," 'world' is an adjective, just like in "world peace."

What kind of showplace? World Showplace. What kind of peace? World peace.

Adjectives answer the question: what kind of thing?

What kind of celebration, discovery, and nature? World Celebration, World Discovery, and World Nature.

The Aracuan Bird

In English, words can take on different parts of speech depending on their context, and do so with or without modification.

With modification, it's usually a suffix that does the trick: "swift" is an adjective, "swiftly" is an adverb.

Without modification, it's understood as a different part of speech solely by context.

"Showcase" is a noun. On the Price Is Right, you'll heare "Johnny, tell them about today's showcase."

In the phrase "World Showcase," 'world' is an adjective, just like in "world peace."

What kind of showplace? World Showplace. What kind of peace? World peace.

Adjectives answer the question: what kind of thing?

What kind of celebration, discovery, and nature? World Celebration, World Discovery, and World Nature.
You’re correct, however, the emphasis of the theme is on the “World” in “World Showcase”. It’s all about the different countries in the world. They’re in a showcase, but the theme doesn’t emphasize the showcase aspect, it’s about the world and its cultures.

With World Nature, there’s emphasis on the Nature with the land and the seas. With World Discovery, there’s emphasis on Discovery with space and vehicle technology. With World Celebration, I guess there’s emphasis on the celebration of mankind (or at least the celebration of executives after they sell out an up charge dessert party.

As many have said, the new names don’t flow as well as “Future World” or “World Showcase”. To me, it’s weird that their way of tying it together with WS is by putting the “World first”. In WS’s case, the emphasis is on “World”, whereas in the other case, the emphasis is on the other word. It would be just as strange if “Future World” was called “World Future”.

hpyhnt 1000

If they're trying to control costs, why was the west building demolished?

It would have been less expensive to repurpose it than to rebuild it, especially with the fancy-looking-yet-limited-practicality festival center building that was proposed. As pointed out in these recent Instagram posts, the Communicore buildings were always designed for flexibility of future uses, so there's nothing that would have precluded adapting the existing structures to new purposes.

Then again, reusing the existing facilities to control costs would require a certain amount of logic. And as you said, logic isn't really a part of WDI's decision-making process.
Exactly. And they even had a second chance to change course during last year's work stoppage and completely whiffed. Now the fools made their pile of rubble and have to live with it.

I think the park is going to flop harder. Higher cost of admission for stuff you can get without admission cost at the Springs? What’s the incentive? A coaster based on C-List comic characters? Yeah, that’s going to work out well I’m 10 years when we’re years past their peak relevancy.
I think it's pretty clear now they expect Rat, Harmonious, and Guardians to carry the park for the better part of this decade. Maybe SSE gets ruined refurbished by 2024/25? But who knows when the dirt pit formally known as Communicore gets fully completed with anything useful, let alone meaningful updates to rest of the existing pavilions.

The Aracuan Bird

Exactly. And they even had a second chance to change course during last year's work stoppage and completely whiffed. Now the fools made their pile of rubble and have to live with it.

I think it's pretty clear now they expect Rat, Harmonious, and Guardians to carry the park for the better part of this decade. Maybe SSE gets ruined refurbished by 2024/25? But who knows when the dirt pit formally known as Communicore gets fully completed with anything useful, let alone meaningful updates to rest of the existing pavilions.
They’re quite a bit off the mark if they think that. I have no doubt the coaster will do well, but Epcot should’ve had its first coaster added decades ago. People are going to flock to the coaster, spend most of their day waiting in line, and then leave because there isn’t much else worthwhile ride wise aside from Spaceship Earth and Test Track.

If you add worthwhile attractions on both sides of Future World and around World Showcase, you minimize the length of the lines on each, and more people can spend time spending money on food and merchandise. If you add one worthwhile attraction near the front of the park, the lines will be long, guests will be dissatisfied, and there will be less spending money around the park. It’s a no brainer. Do they really think the elite few paying a premium for fireworks parties will make more money than enticing the overwhelming majority of average income guests spending their day at the park?

J4546

thats kinda what theyre working on now with Rat it seems. Also the land and seas pavilions are great to wander through. So GotG, Soarin, Rat, Frozen, SSE, Test Track...thats 6 solid rides. You also have Mission Space, Figment, All the pavilions to walk through, and of course Harmonious.... its a park I could spend some time in.

The Aracuan Bird

thats kinda what theyre working on now with Rat it seems. Also the land and seas pavilions are great to wander through. So GotG, Soarin, Rat, Frozen, SSE, Test Track...thats 6 solid rides. You also have Mission Space, Figment, All the pavilions to walk through, and of course Harmonious.... its a park I could spend some time in.
6 “solid” rides isn’t great for a park that’s much larger than Magic Kingdom. Especially since 4 of those rides haven’t done much to keep Epcot up to pace with the popularity of the other parks.

Of course, plenty of us hardcore fans on the message boards enjoy doing the smaller stuff. But a major complaint about the park with the average guest is the lack of must do attractions.

You’re going to have Guardians, Test Track and Frozen on the East Side of the Park with Mission Space, Play and Three Cabs as support. On the West side, you have lacklustre Figment and Nemo attractions with Soarin as the main pull, but we are 20 years past that technology being new and fresh.

Sure you have Rat in the back West corner, but guess what? There’s an exit to the park right there. When the dust settles in 5-10 years, and most of the guests are spending their time in the East end, the lacklustre design and planning is going to be quite clear.

James Alucobond

You’re going to have Guardians, Test Track and Frozen on the East Side of the Park with Mission Space, Play and Three Cabs as support. On the West side, you have lacklustre Figment and Nemo attractions with Soarin as the main pull, but we are 20 years past that technology being new and fresh.

Sure you have Rat in the back West corner, but guess what? There’s an exit to the park right there. When the dust settles in 5-10 years, and most of the guests are spending their time in the East end, the lacklustre design and planning is going to be quite clear.
I honestly think the east overindexes on thrill at this point. Cosmic Rewind, Mission: SPACE, and, to an extent, Test Track are not especially kid-friendly. PLAY! is probably an attempt to balance this somewhat, but I wouldn't like to see the same philosophy overtake other sections of the park. Honestly, aside from Imagination, I find most of World Nature to be completely fine. The interiors of The Land and The Seas could definitely do with a modern refresh (carpeted walls—really?), but the attractions are either good (The Land) or good enough (The Seas), I feel. I kind of like the triangle of thrill, theater, and traditional dark ride, though World Showcase could undoubtedly do with much more and Imagination is far beyond the point of just needing a facelift.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom