Best Hollywood Studios Attraction added to the park

What is the Best Hollywood Studios Attraction that has been just added to the park.

• Toy Story Land

Votes: 35 11.8%
  • Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Votes: 52 17.5%
  • Star Wars : Galaxy's Edge

Votes: 210 70.7%

• Total voters

yensidtlaw1969

Agreed. Toy Story is honestly their most over-used and forced IP across the entire Parks division, IMO.
Forced really is the word - Toy Story's popularity as a property basically can't be overstated, but the way they continue to mismanage its use within the parks is really beyond. They've completely squandered its Theme Park potential, at least to date.

Ask the question "What does a truly great Toy Story Ride" look like?" and NONE of the Toy Story attractions Disney has built come close to answering it. There's *so* much room to be creative with these characters, and they just keep bunting.

Bocabear

As a consumer, I am personally tired of Toy Story...I think they have taken it as far as it can go when there are many other IP that they own that could tell a better theme park story. TSL is a terrible addition... Yes, DHS needed some new attractions desperately...
It is nice they built a new coaster, but the rest is just...not enough. I would have rather had a complete Toontown like Disneyland with several attractions. In the Florida Heat, I am sure everyone would have appreciated Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin a heck of a lot more than Alien Swirling Waste-of-Time Saucers. Toontown as a franchise perfectly fits the DHS model... TSL looks a lot like Chester and Hester to me.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Fun Facts:
Slide Dog Dash: ~3.1 Acres
RNRC (Including gift shop, preshow, and part to Queue): ~1.8Acers
Everest: ~3.8 Acres
BTMRR: ~2.7 Acres
Space: ~2.3 Acres
7D:~1.9 Acres

I'm glad you measured this! I've been saying for a while that Slinky Dog is sprawled out over a huge area for no real reason. It's such an inefficient use of space and nice to see the actual numbers.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

What's the third? Rise, MMRR, and...? What am I forgetting?
Toy Story Midway Mania - Your mileage may vary on whether or not it's a GOOD dark ride (mine certainly does - it's fun and I enjoy it, but I don't ride it for the show scenes), but it's a slow-moving bus bar ride though an enclosed warehouse illuminated by Black Light (and projections).

I didn't count Tower - it does have some dark ride elements, but then do does Rock N' Roller Coaster if we're being technical. Perhaps I should have specified "Family Friendly" Dark Rides? DHS is lacking those in a BIG way.

UNCgolf

Toy Story Midway Mania - Your mileage may vary on whether or not it's a GOOD dark ride (mine certainly does - it's fun and I enjoy it, but I don't ride it for the show scenes), but it's a slow-moving bus bar ride though an enclosed warehouse illuminated by Black Light (and projections).

I suppose calling it a dark ride is accurate, but since it's almost entirely based around playing a video game, I don't ever really think of it as one.

J4546

I agree TSL isnt that great but the coaster is pretty good for a coaster for young children. Its pretty thrilling and serves as a bridge between kiddie rides like swirling saucers and bigger adult rides like RNRC or ToT. And its still a pretty good coaster as an adult. It does take up a ton of space though, but again.....for young young kids.

yensidtlaw1969

I suppose calling it a dark ride is accurate, but since it's almost entirely based around playing a video game, I don't ever really think of it as one.
I came *this* close to saying DHS had only two dark rides, but at the very last second I thought about TSMM and figured people would jump down my throat if I UNDERcounted. But I agree that's not really the guest-facing impression the ride makes.

yensidtlaw1969

I agree TSL isnt that great but the coaster is pretty good for a coaster for young children. Its pretty thrilling and serves as a bridge between kiddie rides like swirling saucers and bigger adult rides like RNRC or ToT. And its still a pretty good coaster as an adult. It does take up a ton of space though, but again.....for young young kids.

But is the Coaster good because it's dressed with Toy Story, or is it good because it's a good coaster?

If they'd built the Slinky Coaster without an ounce of Toy Story theming I'd argue that every comment in your post would still be true. Which is a shame, because Toy Story has SO much more Theme Park potential than just being window dressing for an already fun coaster.

UNCgolf

But is the Coaster good because it's dressed with Toy Story, or is it good because it's a good coaster?

If they'd built the Slinky Coaster without an ounce of Toy Story theming I'd argue that every comment in your post would still be true. Which is a shame, because Toy Story has SO much more Theme Park potential than just being window dressing for an already fun coaster.

To be fair, that's basically what they did.

Take away the Slinky Dog ride vehicle itself and there's barely any theming at all on the actual ride.

J4546

SDL and HK TSL still has a bit of room for expansion and Toy Story is huge in China, so I bet they will add to them sooner than later

UNCgolf

IIRC, the gist is that, for both, TSM is the expansion plan.

That ride being popular and having high GSATs is one of the biggest reasons for the lack of ambition with the IP.

I wish someone from Disney would ask me about that ride.

Not that my answer alone would make even .000001% of a difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom