Best Hollywood Studios Attraction added to the park

What is the Best Hollywood Studios Attraction that has been just added to the park.

• Toy Story Land

Votes: 35 11.8%
  • Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Votes: 52 17.5%
  • Star Wars : Galaxy's Edge

Votes: 210 70.7%

• Total voters

yensidtlaw1969

IIRC, the gist is that, for both, TSM is the expansion plan.

That ride being popular and having high GSATs is one of the biggest reasons for the lack of ambition with the IP.
Disappointing, but not too surprising given how many Frozen Ever Afters there are under construction. When guests let Disney get away with bunting they see no incentive to try to do better.

Imagine if Toy Story and Frozen, both multi-billion dollar franchises, had been met with the kind of theme park committment that Star Wars has gotten. Galaxy's Edge isn't perfect, but they definitely swung for the fences in a way they don't with Toy Story and Frozen.

J4546

yeah, they really went all out in GE and I appreciate it. Same with Cars land, its one of the best lands in any disney park ive ever been to.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
yeah, they really went all out in GE and I appreciate it. Same with Cars land, its one of the best lands in any disney park ive ever been to.

Cars Land was very well done. GE is ... disappointing. At best.

Disappointing, but not too surprising given how many Frozen Ever Afters there are under construction. When guests let Disney get away with bunting they see no incentive to try to do better.

Imagine if Toy Story and Frozen, both multi-billion dollar franchises, had been met with the kind of theme park committment that Star Wars has gotten. Galaxy's Edge isn't perfect, but they definitely swung for the fences in a way they don't with Toy Story and Frozen.

That’s the Iger Way. No risk. Movie IP everywhere. Add trees there. 😉

They made GE detailed, I’ll give them that. The layering is damn impressive in person. It’s just a place that no one “wanted” to visit. And it needs more than RotR and an arcade game.

Bocabear

Cars Land was very well done. GE is ... disappointing. At best.

That’s the Iger Way. No risk. Movie IP everywhere. Add trees there. 😉

They made GE detailed, I’ll give them that. The layering is damn impressive in person. It’s just a place that no one “wanted” to visit. And it needs more than RotR and an arcade game.
I hate the "Risk" argument...
Where is there ever a risk? Adding an attraction unless it is really really terrible is always a plus. Only risk I have seen was taking a good ride (Imagination) and doing a terrible charmless replacement... Other than that, there has been no risk whatsoever... Even FEA which is not an amazing ride is packed and a hit. People love TSL for all it's flaws...
They could really do almost any new attraction at this point with no risk...The parks need more attractions period...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I hate the "Risk" argument...
Where is there ever a risk? Adding an attraction unless it is really really terrible is always a plus. Only risk I have seen was taking a good ride (Imagination) and doing a terrible charmless replacement... Other than that, there has been no risk whatsoever... Even FEA which is not an amazing ride is packed and a hit. People love TSL for all it's flaws...
They could really do almost any new attraction at this point with no risk...The parks need more attractions period...

Let’s be fair - most guests love anything they do at this point because they’ve been conditioned to love it. It doesn’t hurt that they did nothing for half a decade, then did little of substance for another half decade. RotR is the best thing added to a park since Everest, and ToT before that. Not a huge fan of FoP, since it has started to affect me physically when I ride, but I will acknowledge it is impressive, I just don’t love it.

Iger’s love/use of “de-risk” was BS for stock analysts. He and Chappie simply don’t understand theme parks. At all.

Max Duane

Say all you want about Galaxy's Edge being a failure but it's far from failure. it's the best thing that happened to Orlando after Potter world.
People are quick to jump at it saying “Potter is better” but fail to acknowledge that makes this the second most immersive land in Orlando, which doesn’t really scream failure at all to me.

TikibirdLand

People are quick to jump at it saying “Potter is better” but fail to acknowledge that makes this the second most immersive land in Orlando, which doesn’t really scream failure at all to me.
I think "failure" is getting two 2 rides for 1 BILLION Dollars in 15 acres of land. IMO, a lot of money was wasted here. Love all the details in GE. But, for that kind of money, I really expected this to be a WOW. Reliability issues with their signature ride and the difficulty in getting in the ride queue really brings the whole experience down. A million here, a million there, pretty soon, you're talking about real money!

UNCgolf

It doesn't really scream anything, though, does it? If there are only two immersive lands and you're second, that's kind of a meaningless rank.

I'm not sure how many lands in Orlando are actually trying to be immersive, but it definitely falls short of HP and, at least for me, it's nowhere near as immersive as Pandora either. It's certainly better than Toy Story Land, but that's an incredibly low bar to clear. I'm not sure there is anything else, unless you want to call the Asia and Africa areas of Animal Kingdom immersive lands as well, in which case Galaxy's Edge lags behind them as well.

In any event, it's not bad and it's not a failure. It's just not close to what it could/should have been.

RSoxNo1

It doesn't really scream anything, though, does it? If there are only two immersive lands and you're second, that's kind of a meaningless rank.

I'm not sure how many lands in Orlando are actually trying to be immersive, but it definitely falls short of HP and, at least for me, it's nowhere near as immersive as Pandora either. It's certainly better than Toy Story Land, but that's an incredibly low bar to clear. I'm not sure there is anything else, unless you want to call the Asia and Africa areas of Animal Kingdom immersive lands as well, in which case Galaxy's Edge lags behind them as well.

In any event, it's not bad and it's not a failure. It's just not close to what it could/should have been.
I would absolutely call Africa and Asia immersive lands. Really any themed area would count. It does not need to be focused on a singular IP.

DisneyDean97

Never understood why DHS never got any fantasyland style dark rides. They would be (relatively) quick builds, not cost a fortune and with DHS being based on "the movies" can easily fit the theme of the park, whereas a C-Ticket fantasyland style dark ride would stick out in a park like Animal Kingdom. But i believe they would be great at DHS and finally fill out the parks roster. They desperately need one or two, and I can't imagine they wouldn't be able to fit in Animation Courtyard...

owlsandcoffee

Never understood why DHS never got any fantasyland style dark rides. They would be (relatively) quick builds, not cost a fortune and with DHS being based on "the movies" can easily fit the theme of the park, whereas a C-Ticket fantasyland style dark ride would stick out in a park like Animal Kingdom. But i believe they would be great at DHS and finally fill out the parks roster. They desperately need one or two, and I can't imagine they wouldn't be able to fit in Animation Courtyard...

I think they just didn't want MGM to be that kind of park and the thought process stuck. "complement, not compete". That being said, MMRR should have gone in Animation Courtyard, there should be a legit dark ride in the Pixar area (Rat or Monster's Inc, imo) and the Great Movie Ride should have gotten a big phat refurb without sponsorship. It deserved it, it was clever.

J4546

i think dhs needs a modified and improved pixar pier added to it. something like this. You lose Aerosmith Coaster but replace it with a better (imo) coaster that could be themed to something other than the incredibles. A giant ferris wheel (something not avail in any FL disney park btw) a dark ride thats not TSMM, and with my drawing a new e-ticket log flume pixar based ride as well. The sunset corridor would still have a market that would act like a breezway to the pier alowing a bigger audience to watch the nighttime WOC show.

Attachments

• DHS Pixar Pier.jpg
    DHS Pixar Pier.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 122

Haymarket2008

I wish they made a true Pixar Place version of Fantasyland. A campus with each building giving a Fantasyland style dark ride for a handful of Pixar films. Missed opportunity to provide much needed fun for the younger crowd.

matt9112

Say all you want about Galaxy's Edge being a failure but it's far from failure. it's the best thing that happened to Orlando after Potter world.

It doesn't convey the same vibe to me....it was clearly the (very late) answer to potter yes. (Maybe avatar was as well) but its so bland....the dull tones don't convey much depth. The lack of music always bugged me (but i understand thats tied into living your own adventure)

I think avatar land is much more inviting and sort of full of wonder on a higher level than SWGE. I know alot of work and effort was put into it and that its clearly a well intended land. Of the three options selected for the pole its a pretty clear choice for me. But i would have voted for sunset Blvd if i could.

Tonto

It doesn't convey the same vibe to me....it was clearly the (very late) answer to potter yes. (Maybe avatar was as well) but its so bland....the dull tones don't convey much depth. The lack of music always bugged me (but i understand thats tied into living your own adventure)

I think avatar land is much more inviting and sort of full of wonder on a higher level than SWGE. I know alot of work and effort was put into it and that its clearly a well intended land. Of the three options selected for the pole its a pretty clear choice for me. But i would have voted for sunset Blvd if i could.
Y’all are crazy. Went to GE for the first time. From a guest perspective and not a fan, GE is straight up mind blowing. Resistants is by far the best attraction in the world for me and nothing is close. I suspect many of the haters in here haven’t even been to GE yet.
When you walk into GE and see the millennium falcon in this canyon, mind blown. Disney nailed this. I also suspect due to the size of this addition that GE was built with additions in mind.
Is it perfect? No, but what works works exceptionally well! 10/10!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom