Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

havoc315

Who cares about cars....this effectively eliminates the park capacity limits in all practical terms. Whatever rides were left with capacity limits should be loaded full now. Also allows for transport to ramp up and pool capacity to be increased for the Summer. Next up....entertainment returns.

Not clear if they will increase pool capacity. They should -- outdoor transmission risk is so low. But they talk about keeping 6' distance where people take off their masks. And they take off their masks in the pools.

Unfortunately, it doesn't resolve the dining capacity issues.

And most critically, still have the significant staffing issues. As I've said many times, I think non-Covid issues will slow down the re-opening. Whether it be Disney re-evaluating offerings like FP, or simply insufficient staff.

Nationwide, we have record job openings:

The issue is supposedly even more acute in Central Florida with restaurants reporting they have had to close some days, limit hours, etc, because they can't find staff.

The last 2-3 years, WDW summers have seen attendance of about 50-60% capacity. So if they increase their capacity limit to 60%, that would be the same as "normal" summer.
They run a risk of taking in too many guests if they can't open up more dining: Major guest satisfaction issues if it's impossible for on-site guests to have a meal apart from a 3-hour wait for a mobile order.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not clear if they will increase pool capacity. They should -- outdoor transmission risk is so low. But they talk about keeping 6' distance where people take off their masks. And they take off their masks in the pools.

Unfortunately, it doesn't resolve the dining capacity issues.

And most critically, still have the significant staffing issues. As I've said many times, I think non-Covid issues will slow down the re-opening. Whether it be Disney re-evaluating offerings like FP, or simply insufficient staff.

Nationwide, we have record job openings:

The issue is supposedly even more acute in Central Florida with restaurants reporting they have had to close some days, limit hours, etc, because they can't find staff.

The last 2-3 years, WDW summers have seen attendance of about 50-60% capacity. So if they increase their capacity limit to 60%, that would be the same as "normal" summer.
They run a risk of taking in too many guests if they can't open up more dining: Major guest satisfaction issues if it's impossible for on-site guests to have a meal apart from a 3-hour wait for a mobile order.
The Mexican restaurant at EPCOT is up to $1,000 signing bonus. Supply meets demand when you up the price. Simple economics. The first wave of CP arrive June 14 so that helps with labor shortage. Large people eating restaurants coming back family style instead of buffet. Still reduces staffing vs ordering from a menu.

Wendy Pleakley

Because you look ridiculous, and it's virtue signalling.

One simple statement that demonstrates why COVID had a far greater impact than it could have.

To anyone wearing a mask in their profile photo: you look awesome and you clearly care about other people in addition to yourselves. Well done.

I continue to be appalled at people, from top elected officials to everyday citizens who would actually criticize someone for how they look wearing a mask. Yeah, we all felt a little self conscious at first. It's not something we were used to. We got over it and now it's just another piece of clothing, but it took longer than it could have and there is/was more resistance than there should be.

Reminds me of a story from someone I saw on Instagram. She was anxious about going out, and stayed home most of the time. She had to visit a grocery store at one point and it was her first time out in months. Due to her anxiety and comfort levels she wore a mask, face shield, and gloves. And guess what, she encountered people laughing at her and mocking her.

That is so wrong. People have different comfort levels. What's overkill to me is what someone else needs to feel safe. Mocking someone for that is repugnant.

SamusAranX

I’m so done with the panic stuff every hurricane. I live in a mobile home anyway so I just purchased renters and flood insurance plans and no longer get big kits. If I’m gonna get hit by a hurricane directly I just go to my friends in Georgia. Way less stressful

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I called it:

"Cars may also be directed to resume parking in every space."

I am a very cautious person when it comes to the virus, but I never understood the parking every other space. Even if you are concerned someone is getting into/out of the car next to you just wait a minute.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am a very cautious person when it comes to the virus, but I never understood the parking every other space. Even if you are concerned someone is getting into/out of the car next to you just wait a minute.
Maybe a little bit of a conspiracy theory, but when parks were less crowded maybe every other spot makes the lot look more full. Kinda like the line outside a club.

bryanfze55

One simple statement that demonstrates why COVID had a far greater impact than it could have.

To anyone wearing a mask in their profile photo: you look awesome and you clearly care about other people in addition to yourselves. Well done.

I continue to be appalled at people, from top elected officials to everyday citizens who would actually criticize someone for how they look wearing a mask. Yeah, we all felt a little self conscious at first. It's not something we were used to. We got over it and now it's just another piece of clothing, but it took longer than it could have and there is/was more resistance than there should be.

Reminds me of a story from someone I saw on Instagram. She was anxious about going out, and stayed home most of the time. She had to visit a grocery store at one point and it was her first time out in months. Due to her anxiety and comfort levels she wore a mask, face shield, and gloves. And guess what, she encountered people laughing at her and mocking her.

That is so wrong. People have different comfort levels. What's overkill to me is what someone else needs to feel safe. Mocking someone for that is repugnant.
I didn’t make the original comment about the mask photo - truly, I couldn’t care less about one’s profile picture on any social media platform. But per your comment - to that extent, a profile pic does not indicate one little bit about how caring a person truly is. A lot of people do things for show but aren’t great people. Certainly not suggesting that about any folks here, but let’s just speak generally. And you can be caring without flaunting it.

Wear your mask or shield and go quietly about your business is my philosophy - this whole “wear it proud” thing is a bit too cult-ish for me. For one, distancing is what is actually effective - far more than a piece of cotton on your face.

drizgirl

you aren’t being held hostage by “people”...you never have been and never will be in your life. You are experiencing temporary public health guidelines to stop something that felled more Americans than WW2 and Vietnam combined...

...but I hope those parades are back for you soon. 👍🏻
Do you ever make a post without a cutting insult? Did I mention parades? You'd get a lot more reasonable conversation without the nastiness.

I didn't comment at all about what has gone on up to this point. I'm talking about what happens when we hit a wall with vaccine demand (we aren't there yet). I'm quite patient with waiting until everyone has had a reasonable chance to get the vaccine. What I'm discussing is what happens after that point.

havoc315

The Mexican restaurant at EPCOT is up to $1,000 signing bonus. Supply meets demand when you up the price.

Yes, but not every restaurant and every position is going to offer such a huge sign-up bonus. Restaurants operate on slim margins. I suspect many restaurants will wait until the labor market normalizes, hopefully in the Fall.
I've heard that is the major hold-up with the opening of Space 220: Unless they paid extraordinary wages, they would never be able to staff up whole new restaurant.

Simple economics. The first wave of CP arrive June 14 so that helps with labor shortage.

My understanding, is that it's a very small group to start -- only those who had applications approved pre-Covid. Then they still need to be trained. And they don't really fill restaurant positions.
Every little bit helps -- But this won't make much of a dent in the restaurant labor shortage.
Disney DOES have a Culinary Program that staffs their kitchens, but they have NOT yet announced a re-start of that program.

Large people eating restaurants coming back family style instead of buffet. Still reduces staffing vs ordering from a menu.

There is no shortage of restaurant demand right now. Disney could open another 10 restaurants and fill every single seat for every single meal. Hopefully they will be able to increase their staffing for more restaurant capacity in the coming weeks.

But the fact is, they are always way way understaffed for their demand. When are you suggesting you think this will improve? Their summer season begins in 2 weeks... .think Yachtsman Steakhouse, Flying Fish, Sebastians, Columbia Harbor House, Casey's, Nine Dragons, Akershsus, Beaches and Cream, will all be open by the start of the summer season?
There is more than enough demand to fill all those restaurants right now.

Willmark

It’s not hard, it’s not complex, it’s elementary school level. However, a certain population seems incapable of being able to make this simple conclusion.
Who in your estimation is the “certain population” that seems incapable of reaching that conclusion?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, but not every restaurant and every position is going to offer such a huge sign-up bonus. Restaurants operate on slim margins. I suspect many restaurants will wait until the labor market normalizes, hopefully in the Fall.
I've heard that is the major hold-up with the opening of Space 220: Unless they paid extraordinary wages, they would never be able to staff up whole new restaurant.

My understanding, is that it's a very small group to start -- only those who had applications approved pre-Covid. Then they still need to be trained. And they don't really fill restaurant positions.
Every little bit helps -- But this won't make much of a dent in the restaurant labor shortage.
Disney DOES have a Culinary Program that staffs their kitchens, but they have NOT yet announced a re-start of that program.

There is no shortage of restaurant demand right now. Disney could open another 10 restaurants and fill every single seat for every single meal. Hopefully they will be able to increase their staffing for more restaurant capacity in the coming weeks.

But the fact is, they are always way way understaffed for their demand. When are you suggesting you think this will improve? Their summer season begins in 2 weeks... .think Yachtsman Steakhouse, Flying Fish, Sebastians, Columbia Harbor House, Casey's, Nine Dragons, Akershsus, Beaches and Cream, will all be open by the start of the summer season?
There is more than enough demand to fill all those restaurants right now.
Beach club resort opens Memorial Day weekend and Boardwalk first week of July so I imagine more dining comes back. Same with Poly later in July.

For the CP I hadn’t heard it was very small. They offered first priority to anyone whose program was cut short or they never got started but said they were opening to new applicants as well. Almost limitless college students looking for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom