Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Yeah but I know many people here say that restrictions will never be lifted so why get vaccinated.

So honest question, does anyone object to all restrictions being lifted once a vaccination rate of 80% of total pollution is achieved.

I don’t want to hear but well yes but case counts and deaths blah blah. Yeah that’s great and all but we need a simple number that people who can’t even understand basic science can lock in on as a goal.

The endgame needs to be spelled out clearly and specifically.
The end game is herd immunity, and lack of community spread. We can estimate what percentage we need vaccinated, but we've been wrong about enough things so far that I would rather proceed with caution and celebrate when we get there.

Btw, I'm reading all these comments about how cloth masks in FL heat are intolerable. Try wearing MOPP4 gear in the desert and get back to me about which is worse.

sullyinMT

In other news, I got my flu shot. And I found out two hours ago that I have the flu. I’m so mad! Will be hoping for mild symptoms because I got my shot. So so lame
1620777662695.jpeg

drizgirl

In other news, I got my flu shot. And I found out two hours ago that I have the flu. I’m so mad! Will be hoping for mild symptoms because I got my shot. So so lame
Well that stinks. I hope you have mild symptoms. Not sure when you got your flu shot, but coverage wanes by about 6 months out. I got mine in late August because I was losing health coverage for a while, so mine is probably very low by now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good point, that honestly I never thought of. People get the flu shot to avoid or temper the flu. If this virus is “a really bad flu,” why the hell not get the shot?
Yeah, thats why I don’t get the obsession with deaths from Covid and age. Who cares if you likely won’t die, why would you still want a sickness that takes you out of work and leisure activities for at least a week, has some rare but downright frightening side effects and that you could possibly spread to others rather easily. The vaccine is free, perfectly safe and so convenient to get now. It seems incredibly foolish to not get it because you are unlikely to die.

Trauma

I think I have come to these thoughts about myself and covid. I will honestly be ok and continue living my life doing almost everything I want to do even if some restrictions never go away. Masks indoors at a business? I will survive and either go or not go as I see fit. If Disney does away with masks outdoors and most other precautions but decides to keep masks indoors forever- I won’t like it but I will learn to live with it because I love Disney that much.

As much as I think alot of things can turn into political and fear theater, the reality is everyone’s quality of life is what they make it.
So let’s say your at Disney Springs or whatever they call it this week. You have to take off and put on your mask every time you enter a store.

Sure you can just leave it on the whole time but honestly that’s not much fun to do in 90 degree heat.

Are we really to the point where we are willing to accept a lower quality of life - even if in your opinion it’s not a huge change - just because some people won’t get a shot?

Trauma

The end game is herd immunity, and lack of community spread. We can estimate what percentage we need vaccinated, but we've been wrong about enough things so far that I would rather proceed with caution and celebrate when we get there.

Btw, I'm reading all these comments about how cloth masks in FL heat are intolerable. Try wearing MOPP4 gear in the desert and get back to me about which is worse.
Did you have to wear MOPP4 gear in the desert for a 10k vacation you took to have fun?

Did you have to wear it because others around you refused to take a simple shot in the arm?

Call me crazy but I suspect you had much different reasons

Thank you for your service.

CosmicRays

So let’s say your at Disney Springs or whatever they call it this week. You have to take off and put on your mask every time you enter a store.

Sure you can just leave it on the whole time but honestly that’s not much fun to do in 90 degree heat.

Are we really to the point where we are willing to accept a lower quality of life - even if in your opinion it’s not a huge change - just because some people won’t get a shot?
Disney springs/downtown/pleasure/shops at Beauno Vista- the land of many names lol.
I see where your coming from. And I do agree that a downgrade in quality of life because some wont get vaccinated stinks. I dealt with alot of grief and depression during and even now because of it.
But I do believe we as humans are the ultimate adaptable creatures. And if we have to put on and take off at places we enjoy going to, I do believe we will find a way to make it a better experience.

Trauma

Disney springs/downtown/pleasure/shops at Beauno Vista- the land of many names lol.
I see where your coming from. And I do agree that a downgrade in quality of life because some wont get vaccinated stinks. I dealt with alot of grief and depression during and even now because of it.
But I do believe we as humans are the ultimate adaptable creatures. And if we have to put on and take off at places we enjoy going to, I do believe we will find a way to make it a better experience.
I’m on my way to the gym right now. I’m fully vaccinated and I promise I will be the only one there wearing a mask while working out.
Why? Do I feel at risk? Heck no I feel 100% safe. It’s simple I asked the front desk for the rules. They said we ask you where a mask, so I do.

I assume everyone here at the gym thinks I’m a complete idiot but what’s the point of having rules if we ignore them?

That being said if the gym doesn’t change the rules in a what I deem to be a reasonable amount of time I will vote with my wallet and find a new one.

Chomama

I’m on my way to the gym right now. I’m fully vaccinated and I promise I will be the only one there wearing a mask while working out.
Why? Do I feel at risk? Heck no I feel 100% safe. It’s simple I asked the front desk for the rules. They said we ask you where a mask so I do.

I assume everyone here thinks I’m a complete idiot but what’s the point of having rules if we ignore them?

That being said if the gym doesn’t change the rules in a what I deem to be a reasonable amount to of time I will vote with my wallet and find a new one.
You aren’t an idiot. You are a respectful human being. Thank you for not giving these employees a hard time

sullyinMT

I’m curious if we will get mRNA flu shots. So much change is coming with this technology
I hope so, even if it takes a few years. The indications from developers were that they could delay production a little while longer into the year, or adapt production quickly to the most active flu strains in any given season. If that proves true, efficacy of the shot should go up.

Flugell

Vaccination would be the ideal solution! However we don’t actually know what % will truly provide herd immunity. 70-80% seems to be the best guess! I’m not advocating that when the agreed % of vaccination has been achieved then everyone has to continue to mask where it is not required. So this week, yes you should remain masked, if those are the rules. In the future, if not required, then it should be an individual choice with no snide comments or mocking of strangers who have made a different choice.

CosmicRays

Why? Do I feel at risk? Heck no I feel 100% safe. It’s simple I asked the front desk for the rules. They said we ask you where a mask, so I do.

I assume everyone here at the gym thinks I’m a complete idiot but what’s the point of having rules if we ignore them?

That being said if the gym doesn’t change the rules in a what I deem to be a reasonable amount of time I will vote with my wallet and find a new one.
The gym was the toughest place for me wearing a mask hands down. I was not prepared for the sweat and having a beard it seemed to be tough. Made me respect the guys who fight for a living and literally sweat off the pounds for a weight cut.

ParentsOf4

but it affects all ages...that one was debunked around the time of when hydroxychloroquine tanked...
By the numbers, getting 1% more vaccinated in the 65-74 age group will save more lives than getting 100% vaccinated in the 0-17 age group.

The issue is not which ages groups are affected. The issue is which age groups are affected more.

Per the CDC:

1620778678195.png

I'm all for getting as many people vaccinated as possible across all age groups. But I also recognize who is at greatest risk.

Tony the Tigger

Ok great found one. You are the person I need honest answers from because you scare me as much as the anti vax crew.

See I’m on team vaccine.

Can you please spell out your exact metrics to return to normal. Whatever number or numbers you would want to see to return to normal.

Also what is the plan if a large enough group of people refuse to vaccinate to achieve those metrics?

To the bolded: I don't see how I can answer that. It's more like, "We'll know it when we see it, but it looks like we're heading in the right direction."

I shouldn't scare you at all. I approach this with a healthy amount of caution and logic, and no silly emotional subjectivity like, "But I'm tired of wearing a mask." "But haven't we done this long enough?" or reckless disregard like, "Hey, so some people will die. It's only old or defective people."

The public at large have proven they can't be trusted with this. There is no denying the repeated spikes caused by ignoring simple recommendations like toning down holidays. People behaved like kids who couldn't understand; they should have been able to understand.

There is absolutely no reason why 570,000 Americans had to die. Had this been handled better by both the government and the populace, that number should have been less than half that amount. What a shame.

The most "scary" part to me was some people didn't care. "So, let people with xyz die, they were going to die anyway. I want to go to McDonald's and the club." That is scary, not my being flexible about how long we have to wear masks based on results.

Going through this pandemic was a lot on many levels, especially from around March to July 2020 (for me.) With that said, I worked my behind off, I saved my business, I laid off no one. My spouse and I are both high risk and both worked. When my business was closed and he was laid off, we did gig deliveries, putting ourselves in supermarkets all day long for months (for not much money, but it kept everything afloat.) We went to the movies here and there. We went out to eat here and there. We went to WDW once.

We did not live in fear. We lived carefully, thoughtfully, and fully.

I did what I had to do to protect my family, my employees, and my customers, and to be able to live with myself knowing I did everything I could to protect them. That's the opposite of hiding in a corner at home. I did practically everything I would have done pre-COVID; I just did it carefully. I lost absolutely nothing by doing that.

A mask being a burden is a matter of perspective and nothing else. I chose the perspective that it was no big deal, and it was worth the effort; and it was and still is.

How foolish would it be to get a breakthrough infection and die now, after all this?

So when we start seeing very few new cases most days in my county, that's when I, personally, will stop wearing a mask indoors around people outside my circle. I have never worn a mask outdoors except at WDW or possibly walking from a store to my car.

Beyond that, the decision will be made for us at some point. A tipping point will be reached, and that will be that. It may vary from place to place, and probably should.

I don't live with these nagging, whiny questions in my head: "When can we do this? Why can't we do that? Are we there yet?" I just live. When it's over, it's over. We'll know it. Or we can blow it by pretending it's over before it is because people can't act like adults and do what's best for public health.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m curious if we will get mRNA flu shots. So much change is coming with this technology
Yes.

Pfizer and BioNtech first started discussions on partnering to develop an mRNA based flu vaccine before Covid even existed. They fast tracked their partnership for Covid.

Chomama

Yes.

Pfizer and BioNtech first started discussions on partnering to develop an mRNA based flu vaccine before Covid even existed. They fast tracked their partnership for Covid.
Hopefully they keep up the partnership then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom