Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma

To the bolded: I don't see how I can answer that. It's more like, "We'll know it when we see it, but it looks like we're heading in the right direction."

I shouldn't scare you at all. I approach this with a healthy amount of caution and logic, and no silly emotional subjectivity like, "But I'm tired of wearing a mask." "But haven't we done this long enough?" or reckless disregard like, "Hey, so some people will die. It's only old or defective people."

The public at large have proven they can't be trusted with this. There is no denying the repeated spikes caused by ignoring simple recommendations like toning down holidays. People behaved like kids who couldn't understand; they should have been able to understand.

There is absolutely no reason why 570,000 Americans had to die. Had this been handled better by both the government and the populace, that number should have been less than half that amount. What a shame.

The most "scary" part to me was some people didn't care. "So, let people with xyz die, they were going to die anyway. I want to go to McDonald's and the club." That is scary, not my being flexible about how long we have to wear masks based on results.

Going through this pandemic was a lot on many levels, especially from around March to July 2020 (for me.) With that said, I worked my behind off, I saved my business, I laid off no one. My spouse and I are both high risk and both worked. When my business was closed and he was laid off, we did gig deliveries, putting ourselves in supermarkets all day long for months (for not much money, but it kept everything afloat.) We went to the movies here and there. We went out to eat here and there. We went to WDW once.

We did not live in fear. We lived carefully, thoughtfully, and fully.

I did what I had to do to protect my family, my employees, and my customers, and to be able to live with myself knowing I did everything I could to protect them. That's the opposite of hiding in a corner at home. I did practically everything I would have done pre-COVID; I just did it carefully. I lost absolutely nothing by doing that.

A mask being a burden is a matter of perspective and nothing else. I chose the perspective that it was no big deal, and it was worth the effort; and it was and still is.

How foolish would it be to get a breakthrough infection and die now, after all this?

So when we start seeing very few new cases most days in my county, that's when I, personally, will stop wearing a mask indoors around people outside my circle. I have never worn a mask outdoors except at WDW or possibly walking from a store to my car.

Beyond that, the decision will be made for us at some point. A tipping point will be reached, and that will be that. It may vary from place to place, and probably should.

I don't live with these nagging, whiny questions in my head: "When can we do this? Why can't we do that? Are we there yet?" I just live. When it's over, it's over. We'll know it. Or we can blow it by pretending it's over before it is because people can't act like adults and do what's best for public health.
How foolish would it be to get a break thru infection now and die ?

Heck I don’t know how foolish would it be to get struck by lightning and die?

That’s why I said you scare me. If your own personal fear of covid is not over after you are vaccinated, I don’t think you will ever feel safe.

That’s your choice just don’t expect others to follow along with what you consider reasonable.

ImperfectPixie

That’s why I said you scare me. If your own personal fear of covid is not over after you are vaccinated, I don’t think you will ever feel safe.

That’s your choice just don’t expect others to follow along with what you consider reasonable.
Tony doesn't strike me as overly fearful at all. Just erring on the side of caution, which I honestly think America could use more of right now.

"Better to be safe, than sorry."

bryanfze55

To the bolded: I don't see how I can answer that. It's more like, "We'll know it when we see it, but it looks like we're heading in the right direction."

I shouldn't scare you at all. I approach this with a healthy amount of caution and logic, and no silly emotional subjectivity like, "But I'm tired of wearing a mask." "But haven't we done this long enough?" or reckless disregard like, "Hey, so some people will die. It's only old or defective people."

The public at large have proven they can't be trusted with this. There is no denying the repeated spikes caused by ignoring simple recommendations like toning down holidays. People behaved like kids who couldn't understand; they should have been able to understand.

There is absolutely no reason why 570,000 Americans had to die. Had this been handled better by both the government and the populace, that number should have been less than half that amount. What a shame.

The most "scary" part to me was some people didn't care. "So, let people with xyz die, they were going to die anyway. I want to go to McDonald's and the club." That is scary, not my being flexible about how long we have to wear masks based on results.

Going through this pandemic was a lot on many levels, especially from around March to July 2020 (for me.) With that said, I worked my behind off, I saved my business, I laid off no one. My spouse and I are both high risk and both worked. When my business was closed and he was laid off, we did gig deliveries, putting ourselves in supermarkets all day long for months (for not much money, but it kept everything afloat.) We went to the movies here and there. We went out to eat here and there. We went to WDW once.

We did not live in fear. We lived carefully, thoughtfully, and fully.

I did what I had to do to protect my family, my employees, and my customers, and to be able to live with myself knowing I did everything I could to protect them. That's the opposite of hiding in a corner at home. I did practically everything I would have done pre-COVID; I just did it carefully. I lost absolutely nothing by doing that.

A mask being a burden is a matter of perspective and nothing else. I chose the perspective that it was no big deal, and it was worth the effort; and it was and still is.

How foolish would it be to get a breakthrough infection and die now, after all this?

So when we start seeing very few new cases most days in my county, that's when I, personally, will stop wearing a mask indoors around people outside my circle. I have never worn a mask outdoors except at WDW or possibly walking from a store to my car.

Beyond that, the decision will be made for us at some point. A tipping point will be reached, and that will be that. It may vary from place to place, and probably should.

I don't live with these nagging, whiny questions in my head: "When can we do this? Why can't we do that? Are we there yet?" I just live. When it's over, it's over. We'll know it. Or we can blow it by pretending it's over before it is because people can't act like adults and do what's best for public health.
I’m sorry, so you went to WDW (completely unnecessary vacation) during the pandemic and you’re casting others as being irresponsible and careless?

Trauma

Unfortunate timing of that question today.
I guess but around 55 people a day die of lightning strikes per day worldwide.

How many fully vaccinated people per day die of covid?

This is clearly silly but I guess my point is if your vaccinated at some point you need to stop worrying about it.

ImperfectPixie

This is clearly silly but I guess my point is if your vaccinated at some point you need to stop worrying about it.
Honestly, until they're sure that vaccinated people can't spread the virus, I'm still going to be careful. I couldn't handle it if I decided not to mask up and then infected someone.

sullyinMT

For me, it’s a slightly different approach. I trust the vaccine to protect my wife and I, but my anger is directed more at the people willfully rejecting the vaccine. A couple days ago I shared that Montana is sitting, as a whole, on enough unused doses to fully vaccinate another 10% of the population. My patience with people is quickly waning to where you and I are in the same boat.

BUT, and for me it’s a big clarifier right now: our vaccination and case rate is not where it should be to remove all mitigations. Like you, I wear a mask into an establishment because their sticker or sign requests that I do so. Momma raised me that way, and it stuck. The biggest reason I remain willing to do so is because, at our case and vaccination rate, those that truly can’t get the vaccine medically (small number) and kids (bigger number shrinking tomorrow) still deserve a level of respect. They’re trying to live the best they can, and don’t have any idea who is or isn’t vaccinated. I can’t place myself in that situation, but I can show empathy. Not forever, because we don’t do that for other disease, but for now we owe them at least that much until we can drag more people in for jabs.

So, maybe it is a bit of virtue signaling to the public at large. More so, I see it as an example to my boys who are unvaccinated and still at a relative level of risk.

Trauma

For me, it’s a slightly different approach. I trust the vaccine to protect my wife and I, but my anger is directed more at the people willfully ignoring the vaccine. A couple days ago I shared that Montana is sitting, as a whole, on enough unused doses to fully vaccinate another 10% of the population. My patience with people is quickly waning to where you and I are in the same boat.

BUT, and for me it’s a big clarifier right now: our vaccination and case rate is not where it should be to remove all mitigations. Like you, I wear a mask into an establishment because their sticker or sign requests that I do so. Momma raised me that way, and it stuck. The biggest reason I remain willing to do so is because, at our case and vaccination rate, those that truly can’t get the vaccine medically (small number) and kids (bigger number shrinking tomorrow) still deserve a level of respect. They’re trying to live the best they can, and don’t have any idea who is or isn’t vaccinated. I can’t place myself in that situation, but I can show empathy. Not forever, because we don’t do that for other disease, but for now we owe them at least that much until we can drag more people in for jabs.

So, maybe it is a bit of virtue signaling to the public at large. More so, I see it as an example to my boys who are unvaccinated and still at a relative level of risk.
The research I have seen suggests that you can’t spread the virus once vaccinated. I understand the scientific understanding can change with more research.
That being said for now I will assume:

I more than likely won’t catch it.
If I do I won’t spread it.
I will not die unless I am terrifically unlucky.

I would like to see some research on long covid in vaccinated people.
Is that a thing ?
That’s my only area of concern since I am not educated on that possibility, but I guess that nibbling concern is not enough to overcome my desire to return to something closer to normal.

bryanfze55

that’s a fair point. I am guilty of that as well. Post vax...but still
I appreciate you being upfront about that. Now that I’m vaccinated, I’m planning a nice trip this fall. Here’s my thing: I’ve actually been pretty cautious this entire time. Much moreso than I probably let on. But I don’t brag about it. I don’t let myself get a “holier-than-thou” complex. It’s a pandemic - the virus is the enemy. And to castigate other folks that I don’t even know as the selfish cause of all this death... it absolutely reeks of hypocrisy, elitism, and a lack of self-awareness.

Flugell

A little compassion for the young boy would have been nice.

If you’re vaccinated you can choose the point at which you stop worrying.

I am vaccinated and more than capable of choosing the point at which I will stop worrying.

Each choice is the correct one for each individual. I am not impacting on how you choose to live your life and respect your choice but would expect you to show that same respect to me.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The research I have seen suggests that you can’t spread the virus once vaccinated. I understand the scientific understanding can change with more research.

Is that a thing ?
That’s my only area of concern since I am not educated on that possibility, but I guess that nibbling concern is not enough to overcome my desire to return to something closer to normal.

I don't think "can't" is the right word, instead it's that you are far less likely to spread the virus once vaccinated.

sullyinMT

Is that a thing ?
On a personal level, we agree. When I step out the door and into society, I don’t have a flashing “vaccinated” emoji floating over my head. It’s for the peace of mind of those that still need it, and in our current state as a nation they deserve it. That’s all I’m saying.

ImperfectPixie

I appreciate you being upfront about that. Now that I’m vaccinated, I’m planning a nice trip this fall. Here’s my thing: I’ve actually been pretty cautious this entire time. Much moreso than I probably let on. But I don’t brag about it. I don’t let myself get a “holier-than-thou” complex. It’s a pandemic - the virus is the enemy. And to castigate other folks that I don’t even know as the selfish cause of all this death... it absolutely reeks of hypocrisy, elitism, and a lack of self-awareness.
Sorry, but people refusing to wear a mask and/or causing problems because they don't like masks should absolutely be called out.

People refusing to be vaccinated because they are choosing to be willfully ignorant should absolutely be called out.

Those who are vaccine hesitant need understanding and guidance.

People being angry at the first two categories I listed shouldn't be referred to as "elitists" or insulted for being disappointed, frustrated and angry at those who contributed to dragging out the pandemic and cases nearly getting out of control.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My wife an I stopped in a small restaurant recently to order takeout. The person behind the counter was not wearing a mask and he was helping a maskless customer. My wife and I were both wearing masks and were standing away from the counter. When we approached to order he put his mask on and once we ordered was very quick to offer to bring the good outside to us when it was ready. To me this is just a new type of common curtesy. Not everyone is going to have the same comfort level coming out of this so for a while I think it is just good manners to continue mask wearing and social distancing in some situations.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I don't think "can't" is the right word, instead it's that you are far less likely to spread the virus once vaccinated.
It approaches zero by all accounts. Pretty close to can’t. One of the reasons why the CDCs updated mask guidance says a vaccinated family can hang out maskless with an unvaccinated family. And we know how conservative the CDC plays it. :)

Trauma

A little compassion for the young boy would have been nice.

If you’re vaccinated you can choose the point at which you stop worrying.

I am vaccinated and more than capable of choosing the point at which I will stop worrying.

Each choice is the correct one for each individual. I am not impacting on how you choose to live your life and respect your choice but would expect you to show that same respect to me.
I’m not being compassionate about the boy because I respond to the post? What am I suppose to do?

Should I take the time to write some paragraph about what a terrible tragedy it is? One would think any reasonable person would think that, but for some reason I need to make that clear to you?

I respect everyone choices. If you want to wear a mask that’s great I wear one also.

However if you want your personal choices to stay policy so that you can feel “comfortable” when science suggests otherwise that’s when it becomes a problem.

bryanfze55

Sorry, but people refusing to wear a mask and/or causing problems because they don't like masks should absolutely be called out.

People refusing to be vaccinated because they are choosing to be willfully ignorant should absolutely be called out.

Those who are vaccine hesitant need understanding and guidance.

People being angry at the first two categories I listed shouldn't be referred to as "elitists" or insulted for being disappointed, frustrated and angry at those who contributed to dragging out the pandemic and cases nearly getting out of control.
So why not be equally as upset with people who take unnecessary vacations or partake in any unnecessary public outings during a pandemic - even if they do so with a piece of cloth on their face.

Of course people making a scene about having to wear a piece of cloth should be called out - not because of the cloth - but because they’re acting like a toddler. You call out anyone making a scene over anything.

You and I are on board with calling out those who refuse to get a vaccine. But that wasn’t the content of the original post. It was “my activities are okay, but yours killed people.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom