Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubs70

In almost every state in the union, at some point over the last year masks have been required indoors but not outdoors. People would be used to it already. There isnā€™t going to be mass anarchy. Cedar fair and Dollywood are already doing it. People on this thread act like society is going to burn down if you remove the outdoor mask mandate. Itā€™s absurd.
That is what happens when we have been beat over the head with "follow the science", not allowed to discuss the science, and the science turns out to be wrong.

CatesMom

In almost every state in the union, at some point over the last year masks have been required indoors but not outdoors. People would be used to it already. There isnā€™t going to be mass anarchy. Cedar fair and Dollywood are already doing it. People on this thread act like society is going to burn down if you remove the outdoor mask mandate. Itā€™s absurd.
Agree. My state (Virginia) still has many restrictions in place, but no outdoor masks unless you are in a big crowd. I suspect that's the general rule most people follow these days wherever they are.

AEfx

For those like myself who are looking at the Broadway opening situation and curious how it may end up relating to what happens at WDW...

Tickets began to go on sale today. I'm no Broadway ticket expert, so I don't know what the "norm" is, but right now you can pretty much get a ticket to anything, even Hamilton. And many of them are at discount prices. The first week or so of Hamilton is filling up, but the later dates are still wide open. There are still opening night/weekend tickets available for just about every show. You can get great tickets right now for Lion King opening night for $79.

What it is telling me is that there were definitely some people who couldn't wait to jump in and get tickets - but that there wasn't nearly as much pent up demand or willingness for people to be in a 100% capacity theater, even looking that many months ahead, particularly for anything but Hamilton.

Wendy Pleakley

That's an exaggeration. People are concerned that relaxing of the rules leads to abuse. Like how people could initially remove their mask to drink, so people would just walk around nursing a drink until the rules had to be tightened.

Only requiring masks indoors could lead to more conflict and push back from certain guest. Simple, consistent rules are still the easiest to explain and enforce.

That is what happens when we have been beat over the head with "follow the science", not allowed to discuss the science, and the science turns out to be wrong.

Or not understanding that scientific knowledge changes as we learn more about topics. It's a problem that when guidelines change in response to new learning that people assume science is always "wrong".

CatesMom

That's the thing though... What is a "big crowd?"

Is it this..??

Our guidelines here say that a "big crowd" is one where you are generally stationary, cannot maintain distancing, and are near the same people for an extended period of time. I'm not sure that walking through a crowded area would satisfy those criteria, but I would personally would be prepared to whip out my mask if I started feeling uncomfortable.

FormerMember

What it is telling me is that there were definitely some people who couldn't wait to jump in and get tickets - but that there wasn't nearly as much pent up demand or willingness for people to be in a 100% capacity theater, even looking that many months ahead, particularly for anything but Hamilton.
It tells me that people are cautious of spending money when they don't know what the experience will look like.

There is also the fact that going to NYC is pretty terrifying right now.

Figgy1

Premium Member
For those like myself who are looking at the Broadway opening situation and curious how it may end up relating to what happens at WDW...

Tickets began to go on sale today. I'm no Broadway ticket expert, so I don't know what the "norm" is, but right now you can pretty much get a ticket to anything, even Hamilton. And many of them are at discount prices. The first week or so of Hamilton is filling up, but the later dates are still wide open. There are still opening night/weekend tickets available for just about every show. You can get great tickets right now for Lion King opening night for $79.

Well it is Hamilton;)

Jrb1979

I think that's part of it is the lack of pent up demand. I think a big part is that the economy is not coming back as quick as many here think. The unemployment rate is still pretty high. I believe this so called pent up demand is just talk. I don't think it's going to amount to a lot. I think people will still do more cheaper vacations.

bryanfze55

Surely we can distinguish outdoor masking. It doesnā€™t have to be so black or white.

Wearing a mask when youā€™re in an outdoor mosh pit at WDW, while it may not make much of a difference in terms of safety, is still a general courtesy. Wearing a mask while socially distanced in Central Park at this point is little more than religious virtue signaling. You want people to know what ā€œsideā€ youā€™re on.

Wearing a mask outdoors at a theme park? Good idea for now, until everyone who wants the vaccine has had a chance to get fully vaccinated.

Wearing a mask at the park? Get a life. Fresh air is one of lifeā€™s great joys.

CosmicRays

79$ for anything on Broadway is like them giving them away.

dreday3

Who makes up most of a Broadway audience? Locals or out of towners?

If travelers, maybe they just don't have NYC and a Broadway show high up on their list?
I'm not sure it means anything at the moment.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
It tells me that people are cautious of spending money when they don't know what the experience will look like.

There is also the fact that going to NYC is pretty terrifying right now.
Ha.

I think that's part of it is the lack of pent up demand. I think a big part is that the economy is not coming back as quick as many here think. The unemployment rate is still pretty high. I believe this so called pent up demand is just talk. I don't think it's going to amount to a lot. I think people will still do more cheaper vacations.
I am chomping at the bit to go back to the theater, and I have the money to spend. But you couldnā€™t get me in a theater with 100% capacity and all the coughing that goes with it. More people cough at the theater then anywhere else but the opera. Those old biddys.

FormerMember

What's so terrifying?
I'm not gonna link to anything here, because it's not appropriate, but google NYC Crime. I live about 20 minutes from Manhattan, I wouldn't go to a Broadway show if the tickets were free and you paid for my Uber. And my wife and I used to go semi-often. A couple times a year at least to a show, much more then that just to the city to hang out and spend a night. Zero chance of that now or anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom