Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Ahem. The CDC was basing the 10% figure on data from China. Which lacked specificity in regards to whether 95 specific cases were caused by indoor or outdoor exposure.

That does not equal the CDC's data being "deeply flawed".
If you read the article, there are scientists in it that state exactly that. They claim that outdoor transmission - NOT in a crowd - is very likely less than .1%. Let me repeat that - .1% or 100 times LESS than the CDC is stating. How is that not flawed??????

havoc315

For those still interested in WDW....EPCOT Forever music was testing overnight. Seems like we are inching closer to the return of nighttime shows and all signs point to EPCOT being first back. Disney has their earnings call Thursday so will be interesting to see what (if anything) Chappie has to say about the Summer ramp up at the parks. It’s possible OC Florida hits 50% and enters phase 2 by the time of the earnings call. Gives us something else to talk about.

I expect some very generalized statements by Chapek.
He will definitely talk about attendance and capacity increasing over the summer. But look for the tone, to get a sense of the actual pace.
On one extreme: "We are examining how to safely start the process of building up capacity and looking to bring back features in modified formats. We expect mitigation measures to continue to be necessary for the rest of the year.."

The optimistic extreme would be, "with the great growth in vaccination, we expect to be able to increase capacity and attendance faster than we anticipated. We will be increasing capacity by the end of the current quarter, with the hopes of building towards full capacity and operations by the end of the fourth quarter."

So it's in the tone -- Is it slow, cautious, creating the expectation of a crawl. Or is it optimistic and aggressive, creating the expectation of a rapid buildup. This is an investor's call, they are legally obligated to be honest in setting expectations. It would be hazardous for them to misrepresent the expectations.

As to fireworks, I'm optimistic that we will have Epcot Forever by June/July. The park desperately needs a draw.
I'm less optimistic about a return of Fantasmic before late summer. But would certainly expect it to return by September.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Political???? There is not one single political statement either from me or in the article, so where are you getting that from? I thought most of you preferred the NY Times for fair and accurate reporting? Or is that only when it suits your story?
Let’s see, Gov. Whitmer was already introduced to the conversation and now you’re bringing up the most thinly-veiled reference to The NY Times as a periodical “most of” us prefer. Yeah, not political at all. A rose gold castle by any other name would still look as awful.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It’s not a black and white issue. You’re talking about politics and folks are making assumptions about others because of the ideology their media heroes have fed them. Everything is an assumed conspiracy. It’s hysterical to relive this over and over and over. Isn’t it exhausting?
No one but you is talking politics at all. We are only talking about the science.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I posted the article so that people would understand that Disney could easily get rid of the outdoor mask mandate, since the published data is obviously wrong. So when they do remove the outdoor mandate, people may not be as scared to be outdoors there without a mask. All assuming, of course, that they are vaccinated
Then send it to Disney, tweet it, Tik Tok it. You’re not going to convince or unconvince anyone here who crystallized their place on the covid continuum a year ago.

Willmark

And the bubonic plague isn't directly transmissible between humans anyway, unless it gets into the lungs or stool. Unlike COVID, which also has a much longer pre-symptomatic stage.
Since people went the pedantic route I’ll amend: the death rate of Covid is not the same as the Black Death,

sullyinMT

For a jog in Central Park, or walking the Geyser Basin in Yellowstone, this outdoor transmission argument makes sense. Even in the case of outdoor dining, beer garden, photos at WDW. We've already seen an evolved policy with this, so frankly who cares? It's too fast for some and not quick enough for others, but largely we've seen human behavior and public policy outpace the CDC, anyway. Everything else is water under the bridge to the vaccine effort, and akin to your SO bringing up a mistake from 8 months ago in an argument about what to have for dinner tonight. As has been posted over and over again here, people are getting used to the idea of a mask optional outdoors, depending on the situation. If Disney or other large venue see outdoor masks as a way to increase capacity, that makes sense from an economic standpoint, while our community transmission is so high and % vaccinated is still low. If your local park system is requiring your kid to be in a mask on the playground, that argument belongs to the city council.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I expect some very generalized statements by Chapek.
He will definitely talk about attendance and capacity increasing over the summer. But look for the tone, to get a sense of the actual pace.
On one extreme: "We are examining how to safely start the process of building up capacity and looking to bring back features in modified formats. We expect mitigation measures to continue to be necessary for the rest of the year.."

The optimistic extreme would be, "with the great growth in vaccination, we expect to be able to increase capacity and attendance faster than we anticipated. We will be increasing capacity by the end of the current quarter, with the hopes of building towards full capacity and operations by the end of the fourth quarter."

So it's in the tone -- Is it slow, cautious, creating the expectation of a crawl. Or is it optimistic and aggressive, creating the expectation of a rapid buildup. This is an investor's call, they are legally obligated to be honest in setting expectations. It would be hazardous for them to misrepresent the expectations.

As to fireworks, I'm optimistic that we will have Epcot Forever by June/July. The park desperately needs a draw.
I'm less optimistic about a return of Fantasmic before late summer. But would certainly expect it to return by September.
They are putting the lids back on the trash cans. We’ll be back to normal operations by July 4th 🥳🎉💥🎊

Wendy Pleakley

For a jog in Central Park, or walking the Geyser Basin in Yellowstone, this outdoor transmission argument makes sense. Even in the case of outdoor dining, beer garden, photos at WDW. We've already seen an evolved policy with this, so frankly who cares? It's too fast for some and not quick enough for others, but largely we've seen human behavior and public policy outpace the CDC, anyway. Everything else is water under the bridge to the vaccine effort, and akin to your SO bringing up a mistake from 8 months ago in an argument about what to have for dinner tonight. As has been posted over and over again here, people are getting used to the idea of a mask optional outdoors, depending on the situation. If Disney or other large venue see outdoor masks as a way to increase capacity, that makes sense from an economic standpoint, while our community transmission is so high and % vaccinated is still low. If your local park system is requiring your kid to be in a mask on the playground, that argument belongs to the city council.

They can't really increase outdoor capacity if they still requires masks indoors though, can they? Lines would stretch farther and wait times would increase.

Not that Disney necessarily cares about those things if it means more money in the register.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom