Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendy Pleakley

I don't want to wear my mask ever again can I not gonna wear mask during each winter?:

This is already the norm in other parts of the world, such as Japan. People choose to wear masks if they've got a cold/flu and have to go out or in crowded environments like subways where germs spread easily. Key word is choose, I wouldn't expect masks to be mandatory in the future.

Now that we're used to wearing masks and have learned it's not some great hardship (well, some of us), why not continue to use them in certain circumstances? During a crowded bus ride back to the hotel for example. I've had colds at WDW on several occasions. From the plane? From so many people in the same spaces touching things like railings? Hard to say, but we can learn some things from the past year about how to prevent getting sick so often.

correcaminos

I didn't share my picture, but I did share my experience. Not because I wanted some social media likes or approval. I shared it because as one of the first to get it (not including those here in the trials), I wanted to demystify the process as much as possible and key people in on what to expect. Because ultimately, I want as many people to get vaccinated as possible so that we can truly crush this pandemic.
I shared my whole trial experience for transparency reasons. I actually had no clue how anti-vax some were until after I joined and had people physically back up from me after finding out. I kept it open and honest. I know honesty from early vaccinated helped many! So glad you did share!

ParentsOf4

Huge, huge asterisks that this data is extremely skewed by the aged based roll out of vaccines.

That's not to understate that I don't believe it. But we would not see such a dramatic tail if everyone was eligible in December. I do generally think younger generations are more likely to have 'immortality complexes' and increased vaccine hesitancy. Similar to voting demographics. Maturity is a thing (for most people at least).
In Georgia, the vaccine has been available to 16-and-over since March 25, more than 2 weeks before the start of the first graph (April 10). On March 26, I was able to schedule my first dose on March 29, 3 days later. Since then, getting an appointment in Georgia has become increasingly easy. My twentysomething year-old children, who I had to prod to get vaccinated, finished their second doses more than a week ago. They had no problems getting appointments that were convenient for them.

Every day for more than a month, Georgia has had tens-of-thousands of dosages go unused.

We talk about anti-vaxxers on this thread. We'll, they must not exist among the 65-and-over population in Georgia. Looking more closely at just one age group, on April 10, 80.7% of those ages 65-74 had already received one dose. In the month since, that's risen an additional 6.5%, to 87.2%. That's less than 13% left in that age group. In Georgia, there are few over the age of 65 who have not been vaccinated.

On April 10, only 19.4% of 20-34 year-olds were vaccinated. (Understandable given the initial emphasis on the elderly.) But with the overwhelming majority of 65+ already vaccinated by April 10, and tens-of-thousands of doses going to waste each day, the 20-34 age group managed a measly 7.9% increase over the same one-month period.

I now can get vaccinated at over a dozen locations within 15 minutes of my home, with appointments available this week. Many places are now doing walk-ups.

My children tell me that their twentysomething year-old friends hear stories (two of my daughters got sick after their second dose), they see that the overwhelming number of deaths are the elderly, and they say, "why bother?"

Looking at that 18-29 group more closely, there have been 120 deaths in that age category. That's out of 198,014 cases. That's a death rate of 0.061% among the 18-29 age group. Reports are that most (but not all) of those dying in that age group had serious pre-existing conditions.

People on this thread get angry at anti-vaxxers not getting their shots. I'm telling you that Georgia's problem is convincing the young to get their shots.

We have over a million young heathy people in Georgia who are in no hurry to get vaccinated.

For the reasons I outlined above, it appears they view COVID as an "old person's disease" and don't think getting vaccinated is worth the hassle. :(

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
See, like I predicted earlier today. One set of recommendations for CFC (cold, flu and covid) season and one the rest of the year.

Someday, you will be old like the rest of us and getting sick will be a PITA and you will want people to stay away from you or at least wear a mask if they are coughing and sneezing everywhere. I also expect we'll see more mask wearing during high pollen and wildfires, because after last year we learned that wearing a mask is less annoying than triggering your allergies.

But you won't have to, if you don't want to.
I'm scared this winter now, can I don't wear mask anymore if I'm already vaccinated now?

Salted Nut Roll

If I got vaccinated now, by fall/winter I won't get sick anymore as I don't wear masks anymore this year?

You can absolutely still get sick. Probably not with COVID (though there are no guarantees), but there are more viruses and other illnesses out there than just COVID. What Fauci is saying in the article you posted is that people are now more aware of how illnesses spread, so they may make a personal choice to do as people in some other countries have been doing for many years and wear a mask during peak flu season or in certain situations to avoid catching any sort of respiratory illnesses, like the flu, or a cold, or yes, even COVID if it's still prevalent. It doesn't mean we'll be ordered to wear masks forever. It just means many people might choose to do so to avoid illness, or to keep others from getting sick if they themselves are ill.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
You can absolutely still get sick. Probably not with COVID (though there are no guarantees), but there are more viruses and other illnesses out there than just COVID. What Fauci is saying in the article you posted is that people are now more aware of how illnesses spread, so they may make a personal choice to do as people in some other countries have been doing for many years and wear a mask during peak flu season or in certain situations to avoid catching any sort of respiratory illnesses, like the flu, or a cold, or yes, even COVID if it's still prevalent. It doesn't mean we'll be ordered to wear masks forever. It just means many people might choose to do so to avoid illness, or to keep others from getting sick if they themselves are ill.
Don't worry, I'll not wear mask anymore for years. I'm done with it. So when NJ will be safe as low COVID-19 cases as stay down, enough people getting vaccinating by probably August or September, then I may not wear masks anymore?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

We talk about anti-vaxxers on this thread. We'll, they must not exist among the 65-and-over population in Georgia.
Yeah. Those 65 and older are the ones who had the US at near universal vaccination. They were they were the last ones to watch in horror as their friends became paralyzed from polio and saw it become eliminated from this country. Its the younger adults who have bought into the anti-vaccine movement and created the recent decline in vaccinations. They’ve been surrounded by the “respectable” questioning and they now see it as a reasonable response.

ParentsOf4

Yeah. Those 65 and older are the ones who had the US at near universal vaccination. They were they were the last ones to watch in horror as their friends became paralyzed from polio and saw it become eliminated from this country. Its the younger adults who have bought into the anti-vaccine movement and created the recent decline in vaccinations. They’ve been surrounded by the “respectable” questioning and they now see it as a reasonable response.
Don't know what young people you know.

Overwhelmingly, the young in Georgia voted Democrat.

I don't think of Democrats as anti-vaxxers.

But I do see them being influenced by their friends. And when their friends don't get vaccinated, they don't get vaccinated.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Don't know what young people you know.

Overwhelmingly, the young in Georgia voted Democrat.

I don't think of Democrats as anti-vaxxers.

But I do see them being influenced by their friends. And when their friends don't get vaccinated, they don't get vaccinated.
The anti-vaccine movement isn’t a Republican movement. It has a big presence in the urban areas of California.

BrianLo

In Georgia, the vaccine has been available to 16-and-over since March 25, more than 2 weeks before the start of the first graph (April 10). On March 26, I was able to schedule my first dose on March 29, 3 days later. Since then, getting an appointment in Georgia has become increasingly easy. My twentysomething year-old children, who I had to prod to get vaccinated, finished their second doses more than a week ago. They had no problems getting appointments that were convenient for them.

Every day for more than a month, Georgia has had tens-of-thousands of dosages go unused.

We talk about anti-vaxxers on this thread. We'll, they must not exist among the 65-and-over population in Georgia. Looking more closely at just one age group, on April 10, 80.7% of those ages 65-74 had already received one dose. In the month since, that's risen an additional 6.5%, to 87.2%. That's less than 13% left in that age group. In Georgia, there are few over the age of 65 who have not been vaccinated.

On April 10, only 19.4% of 20-34 year-olds were vaccinated. (Understandable given the initial emphasis on the elderly.) But with the overwhelming majority of 65+ already vaccinated by April 10, and tens-of-thousands of doses going to waste each day, the 20-34 age group managed a measly 7.9% increase over the same one-month period.

I now can get vaccinated at over a dozen locations within 15 minutes of my home, with appointments available this week. Many places are now doing walk-ups.

My children tell me that their twentysomething year-old friends hear stories (two of my daughters got sick after their second dose), they see that the overwhelming number of deaths are the elderly, and they say, "why bother?"

Looking at that 18-29 group more closely, there have been 120 deaths in that age category. That's out of 198,014 cases. That's a death rate of 0.061% among the 18-29 age group. Reports are that most (but not all) of those dying in that age group had serious pre-existing conditions.

People on this thread get angry at anti-vaxxers not getting their shots. I'm telling you that Georgia's problem is convincing the young to get their shots.

We have over a million young heathy people in Georgia who are in no hurry to get vaccinated.

For the reasons I outlined above, it appears they view COVID as an "old person's disease" and don't think getting vaccinated is worth the hassle. :(

Yes, for a large variety of reasons I do not deny the discrepancy. The proverbial we should not have spent the last year underselling the disease to that population. I know you are not meaning to, but you and many young people are comparing death from COVID to at worst a day of self-limiting symptoms from a vaccine. The two are kind of several extreme steps away from one another.

The younger population is particularly unable to equate risk and harm benefits. I do think vaccine hesitancy also strongly skews towards younger generations. This wasn't really a phenomenon that the 65+ crowd had for their own children. So I'm not surprised in general. Even if this was a young skewing disease I still think we wouldn't see equal uptake in young adults.

I strongly support incentivizing the vaccine to younger demographics. It is naturally less about their personal benefit and more about the benefit to the whole. Free beer, lotto tickets, advertising, cash incentives. Whatever. Vaccine passports were certainly a way of providing a carrot as well. I just think the mark has been egregiously missed with that demographic.

Whatever they do, the US stockpiling vaccines for people who don't want them is definitely not the answer.

BrianLo

The anti-vaccine movement isn’t a Republican movement. It has a big presence in the urban areas of California.

Yes, I think the last administration made it more of a political thing.

Prior to this my anecdotal experience has always been middle/upper class, semi well educated (but not medically scientifically literate) caucasian moms. As you mentioned we always ascribed that also to Californians up here.

Also known as Lululemon moms. 😂

Historically marginalized populations and immigrants were extremely pro-vaccine. I'm sad because I really thought we were just one Pandemic away from getting rid of the anti-vaxx movement and the total opposite has occurred.

ImperfectPixie

Prior to this my anecdotal experience has always been middle/upper class, semi well educated (but not medically scientifically literate) caucasian moms. As you mentioned we always ascribed that also to Californians up here.

Also known as Lululemon moms. 😂

Historically marginalized populations and immigrants were extremely pro-vaccine. I'm sad because I really thought we were just one Pandemic away from getting rid of the anti-vaxx movement and the total opposite has occurred.
You nailed it. Lululemon, Lularoe, Herbalife, essential oils...all those moms.

bryanfze55

Prior to this my anecdotal experience has always been middle/upper class, semi well educated (but not medically scientifically literate) caucasian moms. As you mentioned we always ascribed that also to Californians up here. 😂

Not a fan - but the administration itself was fairly pro-vaccine. One can distrust Fauci/CDC/WHO and also be pro-vaccine - these things aren’t mutually exclusive. Didn’t the former POTUS tell his supporters “get the vaccine?” Unfortunately his run-of-the-mill supporters have been the primary ones spreading misinformation, and I haven’t figured out why people politicized it.

ImperfectPixie

Not a fan - but the administration itself was fairly pro-vaccine. One can distrust Fauci/CDC/WHO and also be pro-vaccine - these things aren’t mutually exclusive. Didn’t the former POTUS tell his supporters “get the vaccine?” Unfortunately his run-of-the-mill supporters have been the primary ones spreading misinformation, and I haven’t figured out why people politicized it.
Leadership politicized masks, and then it exploded from there.

BrianLo

Honestly, I'm really just guessing and I do not want to take topic back to the political realm. For many strange and odd reasons the plight of the anti vaccine movement has now taken root in many more interest groups than it used to. Anti-COVID policies turned into a greater anti-Science movement.

I think it is equally fair to blame the opposition at the time for pooh-poohing everything someone said. The Warp-speed program was one of the US's big successes. The Nation is huge and the procurement (or production more technically) was astounding. This should have been a defining 911 come together like moment in American history. We know it's turned into the opposite, to the detriment of all.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I had some neighbors who were big anti-vaxers. They were kind of hippies who moved from a commune in Oregon. They were super nice and raised a great son. He used to help me with yardwork and other things around my house. After high school he decided to join the Coast Guard. I can tell you he was not real happy with his parents. He got like 27 shots in one day!!!! :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom