Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous POTUS quietly vaccinated and then later finally said to do it, but that you also have a choice in doing so. The former VP actually did promote and made sure it was visible to all that he did. Sadly not all liked him in the end. Lack of action from former POTUS did hurt. The die hard followers made their choice based on non-actions.

To flip to the other side, there are many "crunchy granola " types who are very anti-vax across the board. They tend to hate all vaccines though, not just one.
Lack of action? He was the one to push Warp speed, and it was the Dems all through the election cycle saying they would not trust the vaccine, and would not take it. Do you know of any other time where vaccine(s) came out in such record time?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

At the start of May, the CDC shifted from monitoring all reported breakthroughs to only those that result in hospitalization or death, Tom Clark, head of the vaccine evaluation unit for the CDC’s vaccine task force, said in an interview. The goal of the new strategy, according to the agency: maximize the quality of data collected on cases.

Total number of breakthrough infections reported to CDC9,245
Females5,827 (63%)
People aged 60 and older4,245 (45%)
Asymptomatic infections2,525 (27%)
Hospitalizations835 (9%)
Deaths132 (1%)
The CDC says its numbers are probably an undercount, since their surveillance system is passive and relies on voluntary reporting from state health departments that may not be complete.

The agency shifted its strategy because there’s few worrying patterns in the data collected so far, suggesting the focus should be on the most severe cases, Clark said. He added that the agency has planned other vaccine studies, including one with a network of health centers, to compare disease severity and frequency of variant infections between vaccinated and unvaccinated people.”

I certainly prefer more data studied as opposed to less data. But doesn’t seem too be “concerning” to focus resources on the more serious cases.
It took a year to maximize the quality of data being publicized in a national health pandemic

ToTBellHop

Lack of action? He was the one to push Warp speed, and it was the Dems all through the election cycle saying they would not trust the vaccine, and would not take it. Do you know of any other time where vaccine(s) came out in such record time?
Not this again. I don’t recall anyone saying they would not take the vaccine, period. I remember people saying they would not trust anything he said and would wait to hear from scientists. 45 has received credit from many for OWS. It was the roll-out near the end of his term that left something to be desired, and there is no question that more would be vaccinated now if he made a full-throated call to vaccinate and then got the shot himself on air. It is unfortunate that he decided not to.

I am frightened by his supporters‘ obsession with making EVERYTHING a discussion about how everything he did was correct and everyone else was wrong. Germany saw something similar develop 90 years ago.

ToTBellHop

Just one example

Thank you for supporting my point. She said she trusts scientists, not 45. Anyone should trust a scientist over a non-scientist President on issues of science. I still look to scientists for information on Covid, not 46. He’s only recounting what he hears from an expert. I go to the source.

correcaminos

We are not supposed to be political here. If you noticed I spoke of the act of getting the vaccine and the previous admin. Not going into OWS (which actually didn't fund the shot I got) but the actual promoting of getting the vaccine after the fact. Pence promoted getting vaccinated. Trump hid getting vaccinated. Former presidents from both sides came together to do a nice video promotion to get vaccinated, Trump was missing from that one too. That speaks volumes to some and unfortunately hurts the cause. Doesn't matter what OWS did.

As someone who is not registered as any political party, I am viewing it as that and someone in the Pfizer-BioNTech trial who has worked hard to promote it. I can tell you who I've run across more issues from. It's not just a party line as both sides (which you ignored that I spoke of) have issues. However our former POTUS did not do enough to promote the actual inoculation of people. Our former VP did so it wasn't even universal among former administration.

In the future please don't just assume that knocking one person means I'm anti all in that political party. Could not be further from the truth. We need to stop defending poor actions though.

havoc315

Just one example

Try reading the context. She was (correctly) saying she wouldn’t trust Trump’s word alone. As in, Trump said take HCQ, Trump said we should consider injecting bleach.

She didn’t say that she wouldn’t trust the CDC, FDA, etc.

exact quote from the article:
“If the public health professionals, if Dr. [Anthony] Fauci if the doctors tell us that we should take it, then I’ll be first in line to take it,” Harris said.

If Joe Biden said everyone should take a specific medication, but the FDA/CDC/HHS said not to… I’d trust the scientists and health professionals.
And that’s precisely what Harris was saying in regard to Trump.

So was Harris wrong.. should the public trust health information from politicians more than they trust it from health officials???

Heppenheimer

As has been stated over and over again, the main reason the vaccines came out so quickly is because the pandemic raged so out of control, the clinical trials met their efficacy end-points much quicker than would have been the case if COVID-19 was limited to a few thousand cases a year. Operation Warp Speed allowed certain administrative steps in the development process to run in parallel. Although this helped, the main rate determining step was the actual stage III clinical trial. No amount of legislation could have sped that up any faster than an out-of-control pandemic did. I'm not sure any politician would gladly own that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Try reading the context. She was (correctly) saying she wouldn’t trust Trump’s word alone. As in, Trump said take HCQ, Trump said we should consider injecting bleach.

She didn’t say that she wouldn’t trust the CDC, FDA, etc.

exact quote from the article:
“If the public health professionals, if Dr. [Anthony] Fauci if the doctors tell us that we should take it, then I’ll be first in line to take it,” Harris said.

If Joe Biden said everyone should take a specific medication, but the FDA/CDC/HHS said not to… I’d trust the scientists and health professionals.
And that’s precisely what Harris was saying in regard to Trump.

So was Harris wrong.. should the public trust health information from politicians more than they trust it from health officials???

the context was she was referring to a specific A-hat...who (no one seems to remember outside the New York tri-state area) demonstrated that nearly everyday on tv and in newspapers since 1985.

life isn’t that hard if you use your brains, folks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As has been stated over and over again, the main reason the vaccines came out so quickly is because the pandemic raged so out of control, the clinical trials met their efficacy end-points much quicker than would have been the case if COVID-19 was limited to a few thousand cases a year. Operation Warp Speed allowed certain administrative steps in the development process to run in parallel. Although this helped, the main rate determining step was the actual stage III clinical trial. No amount of legislation could have sped that up any faster than an out-of-control pandemic did. I'm not sure any politician would gladly own that.

people either don’t understand or choose to ignore for their own whackadoodle minds that the mRNA was being done for almost 20 years...they didn’t start from scratch either.

we’re going to be very lucky that the “smart people” were there to carry the day for all of us. The cult of stupid won’t recognize that.

havoc315

The problem is when people see just the headlines which were everywhere at the time stating Harris wouldn’t take the vaccine if trump said to. How many do you think read the articles then so I have to wonder if Trump was still President would the vaccine fear be more on the other side of the fence than it is now

regardless this pandemic should have NEVER been politicized and it was from the beginning…from both sides. We can thank the news media that wants to create division and ad revenue and an election year for that.

Yes -- It's the headline from the NY Post. Of course they twisted the headlines to create a false narrative.

There has been unfortunate politicization about the virus, though that is neither something new, and it's also a cop out of equivalence to use the "both sides." Certainly, there is always politicization of any issue to use against a sitting President. Democrats politicized Katrina against Bush, Republicans politicized Benghazi against Obama/Clinton. And yes, no matter how well or poorly Trump handled Covid, he would have been attacked. Again, that's true of every politician.
But here is the key: The President should seek to defuse the politicization, not add to it. It was Trump who politicized mask wearing, Trump who attacked states that were being cautious, who was tweeting "Liberate Michigan."

Yes, the media feeds in to it. No question. Fox News being the most extreme, MSNBC also joining along, they become the echo chambers.

But the biggest (not only) culprit for the politicization was none other than the President.

ToTBellHop

Yes -- It's the headline from the NY Post. Of course they twisted the headlines to create a false narrative.

There has been unfortunate politicization about the virus, though that is neither something new, and it's also a cop out of equivalence to use the "both sides." Certainly, there is always politicization of any issue to use against a sitting President. Democrats politicized Katrina against Bush, Republicans politicized Benghazi against Obama/Clinton. And yes, no matter how well or poorly Trump handled Covid, he would have been attacked. Again, that's true of every politician.
But here is the key: The President should seek to defuse the politicization, not add to it. It was Trump who politicized mask wearing, Trump who attacked states that were being cautious, who was tweeting "Liberate Michigan."

Yes, the media feeds in to it. No question. Fox News being the most extreme, MSNBC also joining along, they become the echo chambers.

But the biggest (not only) culprit for the politicization was none other than the President.
You mean to tell me that when a President speaks (or tweets), more people listen to him or her than when anyone else speaks or tweets? It’s almost as though it is an important, powerful position that should be filled by only the most-qualified, level-headed individuals.

Kanye for President!

havoc315

There were a lot of contributing factors to the rapid vaccine development. And Trump and his administration certainly were among the contributors. But let's not pretend that vaccine development started and finished with the Trump administration. Pfizer mostly privately funded their own research, with additional funding from Germany. Pfizer would have been developed just as fast, with or without Trump, but Operation Warp Speed may have sped up its approval in the US. And we owe gratitude to the Obama administration -- which funded a little unproven company called Moderna in 2013, seeing the promise of mRNA vaccine research. If not for that investment that began in 2013, we might not have developed the vaccines as quickly. Of course, Trump did invest heavily in the JNJ and Astrazeneca vaccines...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom