Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

Not a fan - but the administration itself was fairly pro-vaccine. One can distrust Fauci/CDC/WHO and also be pro-vaccine - these things aren’t mutually exclusive. Didn’t the former POTUS tell his supporters “get the vaccine?” Unfortunately his run-of-the-mill supporters have been the primary ones spreading misinformation, and I haven’t figured out why people politicized it.
Previous POTUS quietly vaccinated and then later finally said to do it, but that you also have a choice in doing so. The former VP actually did promote and made sure it was visible to all that he did. Sadly not all liked him in the end. Lack of action from former POTUS did hurt. The die hard followers made their choice based on non-actions.

To flip to the other side, there are many "crunchy granola " types who are very anti-vax across the board. They tend to hate all vaccines though, not just one.

Lilofan

I had some neighbors who were big anti-vaxers. They were kind of hippies who moved from a commune in Oregon. They were super nice and raised a great son. He used to help me with yardwork and other things around my house. After high school he decided to join the Coast Guard. I can tell you he was not real happy with his parents. He got like 27 shots in one day!!!! :banghead:
There will be always the few that are anti-vaxers. The manager at the local pizza place is one of them even though he said thinks he contacted covid last winter. He did say he was against taking the flu vaccine his entire life until he made the decision to get one. To witness the birth of his first child a few years ago, the ER staff said he had to be vaccinated. He reluctantly agreed.

FormerMember

No. They are predominantly communities of color with a historic mistrust of institutions. Some also don’t want their names entered into systems. There are also access challenges. My own community is an example. Over 50% non-white. They won’t go to the hospital three miles down the road to get vaccinated. The hospital keeps setting up clinics in the center of town to get to them, but it’s slower.

NJ is one of the top states in the country for percentage vaccinated, and near the top for densely populated state. Put up the stats for preeminently white counties and you’ll see a different number.
Thank you for the explainer. I thought it was self evident, but I see now, that maybe not everyone felt like looking into those cities demos. My point stands.

edit to add...

I see now that the AntiVax hillbillies are still being blamed even after you explained my post.

Heppenheimer

To be fair, we should distinguish between people who don't think they need (or should be compelled to receive) these particular COVID vaccines versus people who are anti-vaccination in general. For example, I think it is a reasonable choice for most Americans to remain unvaccinated against yellow fever, typhoid, rabies, anthrax or even ebola (when the vaccine is finally approved) because these diseases effectively don't exist in the US, are extremely rare, or only a risk to certain professions. Obviously, though, COVID-19 is none of those, and the benefit to widespread vaccination applies to everyone.

So, we need to go all-in to try to convince these people of both the safety and the huge benefit to both themselves and society in general to get vaccinated. Because I can guarantee that the anti-vaxxer movement is blitzing them with misinformation to win them over to their cause. We have powerful rationale and even more powerful data on our side, they have only lies and distortions.

Lilofan

Thank you for the explainer. I thought it was self evident, but I see now, that maybe not everyone felt like looking into those cities demos. My point stands.

edit to add...

I see now that the AntiVax hillbillies are still being blamed even after you explained my post.
The antivax hillbillies of WV and other groups ( ages 18-35) have been given an incentive to get vaccinated - $100 savings bond each by their governor and it also applies to the ones retroactive who already got vaccinated.

havoc315

Is it right to have concern or is this following science?

At the start of May, the CDC shifted from monitoring all reported breakthroughs to only those that result in hospitalization or death, Tom Clark, head of the vaccine evaluation unit for the CDC’s vaccine task force, said in an interview. The goal of the new strategy, according to the agency: maximize the quality of data collected on cases.

Total number of breakthrough infections reported to CDC9,245
Females5,827 (63%)
People aged 60 and older4,245 (45%)
Asymptomatic infections2,525 (27%)
Hospitalizations835 (9%)
Deaths132 (1%)
The CDC says its numbers are probably an undercount, since their surveillance system is passive and relies on voluntary reporting from state health departments that may not be complete.

The agency shifted its strategy because there’s few worrying patterns in the data collected so far, suggesting the focus should be on the most severe cases, Clark said. He added that the agency has planned other vaccine studies, including one with a network of health centers, to compare disease severity and frequency of variant infections between vaccinated and unvaccinated people.”

I certainly prefer more data studied as opposed to less data. But doesn’t seem too be “concerning” to focus resources on the more serious cases.

ImperfectPixie

To be fair, we should distinguish between people who don't think they need (or should be compelled to receive) these particular COVID vaccines versus people who are anti-vaccination in general. For example, I think it is a reasonable choice for most Americans to remain unvaccinated against yellow fever, typhoid, rabies, anthrax or even ebola (when the vaccine is finally approved) because these diseases effectively don't exist in the US, are extremely rare, or only a risk to certain professions. Obviously, though, COVID-19 is none of those, and the benefit to widespread vaccination applies to everyone.

So, we need to go all-in to try to convince these people of both the safety and the huge benefit to both themselves and society in general to get vaccinated. Because I can guarantee that the anti-vaxxer movement is blitzing them with misinformation to win them over to their cause. We have powerful rationale and even more powerful data on our side, they have only lies and distortions.
The bolded is so, so true. It's like there's a prize for whoever converts the most people. And they can be VICIOUS...telling you your going to be poisoning your child, that they hope your child ends up with autism, etc. etc. They literally bully people in an attempt to shame them into joining "the cause".

Lilofan

Somehow I’m thinking that those who are anti vax aren’t in some neat little box as is being suggested.
The longer the anti-vax crowd stick to their beliefs the sweeter the pot that the states may break out in terms of incentives to get the vaccine. Like I have said before, Central FL would get close to 100% vaccinated if the locals found out people attending Universal's Halloween Horror Nights needed vaccination proof prior to entry.

correcaminos

Don't worry. The vaccines are effective against the current variants in circulation. Don't forget, too, that the vaccines can be quickly modified if they need to be.
To add India is using different vaccines than here and less than 10% has received 1 dose. Last I saw about 2.5% of their roughly 1.3 billion people were fully vaccinated. Issues there are different than here. They may be peaking and reaching a different level of immunity vs vaccines because they simply cannot vaccinate fast enough.

There was further positive news on vaccines when BioNTech said it does not expect to need to adapt its vaccine to cope with new variants. “To date, there is no evidence that an adaptation of BioNTech’s current Covid-19 vaccine against key identified emerging variants is necessary,” the company said in a statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom