Disney Wish

Raineman

For me, it's only 4,000 of your closest friends instead of 40,000. Plus, WDW is go, go, go and DCL is (IMO) relaxed. I'm exhausted after WDW and fully relaxed after DCL. Your room is always close if you need a nap. Customer service on DCL is better than WDW. I love going to Disney parks, but I'd take a Disney cruise over that any day of the week.

As far as the Disney Cruise Line goes, they've retained the level of service and special feeling (the so-called "magic") that the parks lost about 20-25 years ago. I've discovered in recent years that I'd much rather spend the $1,000-$1,200 cost of a WDW annual pass on Disney Cruises instead. Much more relaxing and much less frustrating than the parks.

It’s because the service is what WDW used to be and more. That and virtually everything has been paid for and is convenient. We didn’t start cursing until 9 years ago but quickly fell in love with it. That being said as my kids grew older we’ve had less interest. We’d like to go on the new ship but aren’t sure if we’re willing to try it next year or not. Our 13 and 15 year olds have a take it or leave it attitude now and that’s a lot of money to spend on something they don’t really care about.
Some of the things that you like about the Disney cruises are the same things that we love when we stay at an all-inclusive beach resort in the Caribbean, so I understand why you enjoy them. If Disney had an all inclusive resort in the Dominican, Jamaica or Mexico, I would definitely spend a week there.

jme

After having some time to process all the new information and look over deck plans I am pretty pleased with most of the design decisions.
There seems to be thoughtful design all over the place. For example:
  • The AquaMouse starts down on deck, so no more climbing several flights of stairs while dripping wet.
  • The Slide-o-saurus Rex (Mickey Slide replacement) appears to start from inside the funnel, keeping wet kids away from the wind while they are in queue.
  • The adult cove has been moved to behind the aft elevators instead of in front of them, keeping foot traffic (and kids!) out of the adult space on deck.
  • The family pool has been split up from 2 to 5 - this way if there is an "incident" and one needs to be cleaned, there are still the majority of pools still open.
  • Moving the stage opposite the staircase in the atrium opens up the space dramatically, will keep the stairs open (they were often closed due to an event), and gives more theatrical feel as there are now curtains/backstage for them to work with.
  • Two cinemas, of smaller size. Allows for staggered show times and/or more variety in screenings.
Lots more little things like that, that improve upon existing design. Can't wait to see more as the details start coming out!

NelleBelle

Not sure why there's a bit of fuss over the Star Wars lounge and kids. Kids are allowed in the lounges on the ships during the day. At a certain time during the evening is when they turn over into "Adults Only". I'm sure that's what will be the case with the Star Wars lounge on the Wish. My boys, who are 15 and 17, are huge Star Wars fans, would love to see the lounge. But given the Wish is only going to be doing the short 3-4 day cruises to the Bahamas, we are OUT! No way am I wasting my money to do that short of a cruise to the Bahamas. We've gotten to the point where 7-nt cruises don't feel quite enough (we were spoiled when we did the 12-nt transatlantic) 😛! I guess I can look at it as we will finally be able to sail on the Dream (I know, she's very similar to the Fantasy, but she does have some differences)! It's just that by the 3rd/4th night on the cruise you're starting to relax, find a routine, your favorite lounger on deck, getting to know your room steward and dining crew, and then its over. Nope--can't do it. 😕

ChuckElias

But given the Wish is only going to be doing the short 3-4 day cruises to the Bahamas, we are OUT! No way am I wasting my money to do that short of a cruise to the Bahamas.

1619803144810.png

Hey kid. Two words: Back. . . To. . . Back!

Surfin' Tuna

I've already got my request into my TA!
(Sort of a back-to-back - 9/23 on Wish, 9/26 on Fantasy out of Miami, so I will have to disembark and then rush down to Port Miami, but it will be my first time being on TWO DCL Ships in the same day!)
Hate the idea of having to rush to Miami, but I love the idea of this enough to do it! Not many of us have even been on two ships in one day.

No Name

AquaDuck is a pun. AquaMouse is just a dumb name.

The ship as a whole looks very nice, nothing groundbreaking, but nice. It’s interesting to see them go with Cinderella for the lobby instead of someone newer like Elsa. And Bob wasn't bad at speaking.

ToTBellHop

AquaDuck is a pun. AquaMouse is just a dumb name.

The ship as a whole looks very nice, nothing groundbreaking, but nice. It’s interesting to see them go with Cinderella for the lobby instead of someone newer like Elsa. And Bob wasn't bad at speaking.
They had already bastardized it with AquaDunk, so why not? Next ship will be AquaHulk, I’m sure.

EOD K9

I've already got my request into my TA!
(Sort of a back-to-back - 9/23 on Wish, 9/26 on Fantasy out of Miami, so I will have to disembark and then rush down to Port Miami, but it will be my first time being on TWO DCL Ships in the same day!)
If my cruise on the Fantasy doesn’t sail this year, we have the Wish then disembark and go on the Fantasy the next day. Sort of back to back.

Nmoody1

I can understand using IP, but it does seem heavy handed and potentially missing the taste for the cruising crowd.

Star Wars bar seems like a great idea. Biggest issue there is that you are going to have people complaining they can bring their children to check it out.

Frozen themed dinning? I mean, it's cool to have a more Scandinavian environment and food options, but I feel like a show like that could get old fast with repeat cruisers. Cruise entertainment needs to be swapped out regularly so what would they do? Just a different Frozen show?

And a Marvel themed dining? Very odd. I love Marvel, but it doesn't seem like something to base a restaurant on. The concepts discussed for that would work better as another activity on board (like maybe an escape room type setup).

And a BatB themed adult restaurant that serves Italian food/steakhouse? Is Enchanté going to be more French cuisine?

Aquamouse sounds pretty cool to me though.

Also, mostly external rooms and most with verandas? My word are the prices going to be crazy. DCL isn't cheap to begin with and they seem to be upping the number of higher cost options.

Disney have played a blinder here.... create a lounge space like skyline that isnt used much in the day.... now the star wars bar can be used all day - bring the kids for mocktails in the day time and adults only at night time. It's no longer a wasted space during the day! Plus they know people will be lining up for this experience. I wouldn't be surprised if they even impose time limits or 'voyages' that last an hour and then the next seating has thier turn. You turn and burn and keep the people (and the money) coming!

cjkeating

Disney have played a blinder here.... create a lounge space like skyline that isnt used much in the day.... now the star wars bar can be used all day - bring the kids for mocktails in the day time and adults only at night time. It's no longer a wasted space during the day! Plus they know people will be lining up for this experience. I wouldn't be surprised if they even impose time limits or 'voyages' that last an hour and then the next seating has thier turn. You turn and burn and keep the people (and the money) coming!
Pretty sure the Star Wars bar is located adjacent to the lobby? A bar which is already in use all day anyhow? If it was in the 'adult area' which seems to have been removed from this ship I would agree.

SplashJacket

As a 10 time cruiser with an infatuation with the Fantasy, from what I can tell, everything seems to be an improvement.

There are, however, a few things that I am not entirely on board with.
  1. The Marvel restaurant is an odd choice.
  2. The Wish map has a lot of TBD spaces, but it appears the adult areas could be more disjointed.
  3. The Vibe has lost its access to the front of the ship (it appears senses spa has taken over).
  4. The IP infusion into adult areas. On the Fantasy and Dream, I do not believe there is a single IP-themed adult area. None of the bars, lounges, clubs, have any IP infusion. The Star Wars bar is really exciting, and Palo, Enchante, and the Rose could be tasteful, but I don't think it should extend to any other areas.
  5. More than anything, the finishes. The Fantasy and Dream have a sense of elegance and beauty. The lobby, looks far less extravagent than the Fantasy's lobby, and while the atrium is not the end all be all, it is extremely important first impression. DCL is extremely expensive, and without fancy finishes, it is a lot harder to justify the expenses. Below is a picture of the women's bathrooms in the Fantasy's adult area. I realize we don't have many pictures of new areas, but direct comparisons of what we do have, does appear to be inferior.
1620222560151.png

Robbydj13

Ok...don’t shoot me!!!...but...

isn’t the amenities of this ship underequipped by modern standards??

new ships are based around opinions...this provides little over the ten year old dream class from what I can tell?? But I maybe wrong
In my opinion yes. I’m an avid cruise and will tell you I LOVE the way DCL does dining and their food and service is second to none. But yes, pools, hot tubs, drink plans, among other things leave something to be desired. I have been on many cruise with DCL and RC and there’s so much offered on other lines

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In my opinion yes. I’m an avid cruise and will tell you I LOVE the way DCL does dining and their food and service is second to none. But yes, pools, hot tubs, drink plans, among other things leave something to be desired. I have been on many cruise with DCL and RC and there’s so much offered on other lines

I think this is the biggest myth on the seas...but other than that: I agree with you

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve found them to be better at least. To me....

to each their own...

I’ve found them to be near the same as Royal...less across the board than celebrity.

the problem is they don’t have the specialty options of modern ships...which means there’s a lag on Variety/change of pace.

not bad by any stretch...but when you start doing cost comparisons..it gets ugly.

Robbydj13

to each their own...

I’ve found them to be near the same as Royal...less across the board than celebrity.

the problem is they don’t have the specialty options of modern ships...which means there’s a lag on Variety/change of pace.

not bad by any stretch...but when you start doing cost comparisons..it gets ugly.
See, I was underwhelmed by the nightly dining on Royal, and I have been on Oasis, Harmony, and Symphony regularly. I thought the food in the main dining room was blah, and the service less than stellar. My wait staff on DCL always made me miss them when I got off the ship and the food was better than RC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom