Disney Wish

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok...don’t shoot me!!!...but...

isn’t the amenities of this ship underequipped by modern standards??

new ships are based around opinions...this provides little over the ten year old dream class from what I can tell?? But I maybe wrong

DCLcruiser

Ok...don’t shoot me!!!...but...

isn’t the amenities of this ship underequipped by modern standards??

new ships are based around opinions...this provides little over the ten year old dream class from what I can tell?? But I maybe wrong
Do you mean options? As in, free-style cruising for dinner?

If so, one of my favorite parts of DCL is that the nightly show and meals are pre-planned, your table mates and servers rotate with you, so by the end of the cruise you have made new friends. You wind up going to the night clubs with your table mates and hanging out at the pool. Hell, after the Wish announcement today I had 2 people that we met back in 2016 tag me on FB in a post asking "Reunion?"

If you want some more options, there are the adult only restaurants, and your pool side lunch spots.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

If so, one of my favorite parts of DCL is that the nightly show and meals are pre-planned, your table mates and servers rotate with you, so by the end of the cruise you have made new friends. You wind up going to the night clubs with your table mates and hanging out at the pool. Hell, after the Wish announcement today I had 2 people that we met back in 2015 tag me on FB in a post asking "Reunion?"

If you want some more options, there are the adult only restaurants, and your pool side lunch spots.
lol...bad time for a typo

doctornick

As expected, it’s looking like the Wish is going to bump the Dream off of its itinerary to allow it to go other places.

Also, unlike the Dream Class, one of the hallmarks of the Triton class is that each ship’s central theme will vary from each other while still having a significant effect on common spaces. This one is obviously royal. IMO, the other two are rather easy to guess.
(Admittedly this is the ship that has interested me the least out of the three).

Also, I’d been told for a while that they wanted an attraction at sea on this class. Disappointed it’s just a water slide with screens. Hopefully there is at least one interesting show scene in the funnel.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but what are the "easy to guess" other central themes? My instinct would be something highly tied to an IP like "space" for Star Wars but that doesn't see quite right.

cjkeating

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but what are the "easy to guess" other central themes? My instinct would be something highly tied to an IP like "space" for Star Wars but that doesn't see quite right.
My only guess is a general 'animation' theme? e.g. anything other than princesses?

doctornick

For me, it’s too much Chapek. All these IP environments that could just as easily be in a theme park. It’s clear that Chapek mandated heavy-handed use of his favorite IPs.

I can understand using IP, but it does seem heavy handed and potentially missing the taste for the cruising crowd.

Star Wars bar seems like a great idea. Biggest issue there is that you are going to have people complaining they can bring their children to check it out.

Frozen themed dinning? I mean, it's cool to have a more Scandinavian environment and food options, but I feel like a show like that could get old fast with repeat cruisers. Cruise entertainment needs to be swapped out regularly so what would they do? Just a different Frozen show?

And a Marvel themed dining? Very odd. I love Marvel, but it doesn't seem like something to base a restaurant on. The concepts discussed for that would work better as another activity on board (like maybe an escape room type setup).

And a BatB themed adult restaurant that serves Italian food/steakhouse? Is Enchanté going to be more French cuisine?

Aquamouse sounds pretty cool to me though.

Also, mostly external rooms and most with verandas? My word are the prices going to be crazy. DCL isn't cheap to begin with and they seem to be upping the number of higher cost options.

*Q*

Perhaps they'll correlate with some of the other broad themes from the parks. Since the Disney Wish heavily draws from the princess type stuff of Fantasyland, maybe the other ships will be Adventureland or Tomorrowland adjacent. Or I could even see a good Hollywood art deco theme. I just hope they do something better than like "animation." I don't want to see these things degenerate into the Disney Pixar or the Disney Mickey & Friends. Disney Adventure and Disney Imagination seem like good candidates.

ToTBellHop

Because it includes a water jet lift hill, the actual slide is shorter than Aquaduck.

1619735337247.jpeg

ToTBellHop

Aqua duck was never good...this improvement is suspect
Aquaduck is pretty tame as a water coaster but I love the views. Aquamouse lacks the 3/4 helix in exchange for a small turn out over the water. I’m also not sure it’s an upgrade. If it had an AA like Misadventure Falls? Sure. But screens you fly past?

Kids club sounds awesome. I’d book this ship for my kids when they are about 11 for that Imagineering room.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Aquaduck is pretty tame as a water coaster but I love the views. Aquamouse lacks the 3/4 helix in exchange for a small turn out over the water. I’m also not sure it’s an upgrade. If it had an AA like Misadventure Falls? Sure. But screens you fly past?

Kids club sounds awesome. I’d book this ship for my kids when they are about 11 for that Imagineering room.

it was a good idea...it just provided no physical stimulation. Enclosed lazy River for the under 5 sect.

the kids clubs are great...I had mine in there when they were 5 and 7...

the problem is the Window is rather short. And the adult stuff needs to be more adult stuff...as in variety/OPTIONS.

they really rest on their laurels with these ships. Or rest on the business of the diehards. I always look for reasons to book DCL...just have a hard time getting there.

Last edited:

durangojim

I've never cruised before, but what is it about cruises that people love so much? I could probably book 8 nights at the Poly and 7 day park tickets for the same $ as a week on a Disney cruise ship.
It’s because the service is what WDW used to be and more. That and virtually everything has been paid for and is convenient. We didn’t start cursing until 9 years ago but quickly fell in love with it. That being said as my kids grew older we’ve had less interest. We’d like to go on the new ship but aren’t sure if we’re willing to try it next year or not. Our 13 and 15 year olds have a take it or leave it attitude now and that’s a lot of money to spend on something they don’t really care about.

durangojim

If so, one of my favorite parts of DCL is that the nightly show and meals are pre-planned, your table mates and servers rotate with you, so by the end of the cruise you have made new friends. You wind up going to the night clubs with your table mates and hanging out at the pool. Hell, after the Wish announcement today I had 2 people that we met back in 2016 tag me on FB in a post asking "Reunion?"

I’m betting “table mates” are a thing of the past. No way are they going to be having strangers share tables, at least not for the next few years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s because the service is what WDW used to be and more. That and virtually everything has been paid for and is convenient. We didn’t start cursing until 9 years ago but quickly fell in love with it. That being said as my kids grew older we’ve had less interest. We’d like to go on the new ship but aren’t sure if we’re willing to try it next year or not. Our 13 and 15 year olds have a take it or leave it attitude now and that’s a lot of money to spend on something they don’t really care about.

I agree that the dcl service is way better than wdw. Where you actually get zero unless it’s a waiter or bartender...

but the price for the service is debatable.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m betting “table mates” are a thing of the past. No way are they going to be having strangers share tables, at least not for the next few years.
for covid..

...but that’s the North American cruise thing anyway. Most cruise lines have gone away from sticking with strangers for awhile now.

but...our friends from across the pond may feel differently.
I’d describe what they were describing as “classic cruising”...and there’s a certain appeal to that too.

ToTBellHop

I agree that the dcl service is way better than wdw. Where you actually get zero unless it’s a waiter or bartender...

but the price for the service is debatable.
We are just about priced out of DCL, honestly. We had booked a placeholder during our 2019 cruise and the 10% off was grandfathered through to June 2022 along with the extra 25% credit due to Covid cancelations, so it is worth it for us to go one one more with the boys (we are paying about 25% more than I would for Royal Caribbean, which I think is reasonable). Without that, it would be about double Royal Caribbean. That would be a hard sell for me. DCL is better than Royal...but worth twice as much? I don’t know about that. And I’m sure this new ship will be even more.

We are both teachers, so we have to travel when school out. $6k for four of us (plus air) to take a 3-night cruise would be a bridge too far. We could go to Europe for that.

I am super excited for our cruise on Dream next summer. It will probably be our last with DCL, so I want to savor it. They do provide an incredible product. And I want to retire to Castaway Cay lol

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We are just about priced out of DCL, honestly. We had booked a placeholder during our 2019 cruise and the 10% off was grandfathered through to June 2022 along with the extra 25% credit due to Covid cancelations, so it is worth it for us to go one one more with the boys (we are paying about 25% more than I would for Royal Caribbean, which I think is reasonable). Without that, it would be about double Royal Caribbean. That would be a hard sell for me. DCL is better than Royal...but worth twice as much? I don’t know about that. And I’m sure this new ship will be even more.

We are both teachers, so we have to travel when school out. $6k for four of us (plus air) to take a 3-night cruise would be a bridge too far. We could go to Europe for that.

I am super excited for our cruise on Dream next summer. It will probably be our last with DCL, so I want to savor it. They do provide an incredible product. And I want to retire to Castaway Cay lol

this. And we had ours on dcl as their first two.
Then we got a good deal on a RC on allure...then a better one on Anthem later.

been on two since and one scheduled.

I’m TRYING to go on this new dcl and I can’t get anyone to bite. Me the most but not much.

I know I shouldn’t “pay for the label” with Disney. I do it...I acknowledge it...I know it’s bad and self destructive.

but with DCL...it’s the biggest case of the label love ever.

dcl has some advantages. But the staunch “better in every way” is just not true. The better competitors are made out to be like a carnival ship from 1993. They are not. Not facilities, food or service.
That is not accurate at all.

opinions and choices vary. No problem. But at least respect some level of truth.

BrianLo

this. And we had ours on dcl as their first two.
Then we got a good deal on a RC on allure...then a better one on Anthem later.

been on two since and one scheduled.

I’m TRYING to go on this new dcl and I can’t get anyone to bite. Me the most but not much.

I know I shouldn’t “pay for the label” with Disney. I do it...I acknowledge it...I know it’s bad and self destructive.

but with DCL...it’s the biggest case of the label love ever.

dcl has some advantages. But the staunch “better in every way” is just not true. The better competitors are made out to be like a carnival ship from 1993. They are not. Not facilities, food or service.
That is not accurate at all.

opinions and choices vary. No problem. But at least respect some level of truth.

I've never been on Disney, but have done more modern ships with RCL, NCL and Princess. They are honestly really nice lines. I am also not actively looking to sail with children, so I know that knocks a bit of the value away from Disney.

I'm sure DCL is very nice and I'm also sure it's arguably better than the 'nice' mass market options. But I struggle that it is worth a 2-3x multiplier.

Generally with a bit of flexibility one can easily find 1XX$ per night, per head rates for inside cabins on RCL or NCL. To pretty much any destination outside of the really premium ones. Can you even find a 2XX$ rate on DCL for a frankly basic Caribbean cruise?

Not to mention half their fleet is kind of old by the other line standards. Some people like that I'm sure and hate the bigger majors. But I actually think Disney is not really a major player (or even a leader) in this industry, unlike Parks.

I think part of the blessing and the curse is that they remain a small player. They'll continue to get away with premiums by having a very limited number of ships with a loyal base. Even though they'll get up to 7... their 90's ships will need replacement within a decade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom