Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member

Tony the Tigger

Here's the thing. I don't believe everyone wants this thing to go away. I really don't.

To wit: everyone who refuses to get vaccinated doesn’t want it to go away.

Everyone who refuses to properly wear a mask doesn’t want it to go away.

Everyone in and using the media to discourage people from getting vaccinated and wearing masks, and confusing them into thinking it’s some kind of “rights” issue don’t want it to go away.

Tom P.

Stop. The. Conspiracy. Theories. Stop blaming people for treating it as something that isn't over (hint: it isn't). Maybe folks should use this conspiratorial energy and, I don't know, put it toward educating the maskless.

Also, stop using the media for taking the blame here. I've had it, officially. I didn't even LOOK at the media last year before people told me I was out of my depths with concern. I read an AP article that tracked cases popping up in the Northwest. Then Westchester County. That's all I needed to know.
No.

DisneyCane

Everyone in and using the media to discourage people from getting vaccinated and wearing masks, and confusing them into thinking it’s some kind of “rights” issue don’t want it to go away.
What if a person gets vaccinated and then refuses to wear a mask? What category does that put them in, wants it to go away or not?

Tom P.

I think everyone who is able to do so should be vaccinated as soon as they are able to do so. I personally doubt, based on my research, the efficacy of masks in preventing Covid spread, but I also think people should follow the rules and wear them where required without causing problems. And I think, as I've said many times, that the most effective messaging from the media and public health officials would be "once you are fully vaccinated, you can stop wearing the mask and social distancing." I think vaccine hesitancy would drop by about 80% overnight if everyone got coordinated on that message.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Everyday I get an email from Gov. Cuomo giving statistics for the previous day - number inoculated, hospitalized, passed away, etc. This is from yesterday:
Here's what else you need to know tonight:

1. COVID hospitalizations rose to 3,873. Of the 116,483 tests reported yesterday, 3,922, or 3.37 percent, were positive. The 7-day average positivity rate was 2.80 percent. There were 823 patients in ICU yesterday, down 13 from the previous day. Of them, 504 are intubated. Sadly, we lost 45 New Yorkers to the virus.

2. As of 11am this morning, 42.1 percent of New Yorkers have completed at least one vaccine dose. Over the past 24 hours, 154,049 total doses have been administered. To date, New York has administered 13,582,969 total doses with 28.8 percent of New Yorkers completing their vaccine series. See data by region and county on the State's Vaccine Tracker: ny.gov/vaccinetracker.

On the local news this a.m. was this report: https://longisland.news12.com/long-islands-largest-health-system-touts-surplus-of-covid-19-vaccines

I do think that this is just a natural slow-down. I myself drove 22 miles - 40 minutes- to Aqueduct when I got the first available appt., as did my husband and daughter- when they opened to 60+ and/or co-morbitities, and will gladly do it again if a booster is needed. I think those who really, really wanted the vaccine went wherever they could to get it as soon as they could get it. I also think that the next group to get it are those who were waiting to see if we grew a third eye or arm after the vaccine, developed a superpower, or are waiting until their local pharmacy gets them in. I applaud Nassau County for having mobile vaccination trucks going to underserved communities and searching out home-bound people to administer vaccines to.
Remember that the 42.1% is of the whole population but roughly 25% of the population is not eligible to be vaccinated because they are under 16 so that works out to over 56% of eligible people having gone.

Jrb1979

Sea World in CA is doing it for out of state guests now. Proof of Vaccinations or a negative Covid test for all guests 3 and up. Not required for CA residents. That’s the first national theme park company I’ve seen implement that. Not required for Sea World FL though.

I can see vaccine passports working for cruises for sure and for large group events like concerts or sporting events. It will never happen for every day activities like restaurants or shopping. My only hold back for WDW right now is kids. Sea World is requiring a negative covid test if you aren’t vaccinated for anyone over 2 so kids 3-11 would all need a negative test since they can’t get the vaccine yet. If you went to WDW for a week and visited a park every day that’s 7 covid tests for your kid. Not sure how many people would go for that.
It would be tough but I have no issue with it. It feels the people with kids are the ones against it.

disneygeek90

Sea World in CA is doing it for out of state guests now. Proof of Vaccinations or a negative Covid test for all guests 3 and up. Not required for CA residents. That’s the first national theme park company I’ve seen implement that. Not required for Sea World FL though.

I can see vaccine passports working for cruises for sure and for large group events like concerts or sporting events. It will never happen for every day activities like restaurants or shopping. My only hold back for WDW right now is kids. Sea World is requiring a negative covid test if you aren’t vaccinated for anyone over 2 so kids 3-11 would all need a negative test since they can’t get the vaccine yet. If you went to WDW for a week and visited a park every day that’s 7 covid tests for your kid. Not sure how many people would go for that.
Isn't the Sea World test required within 72 hours? Feasibly you could use the same "negative" test for 3 days. No one is requiring a test every day. Maybe a little annoying but with the rate of rapid test availability not impossible. Heck, they could even have a few test areas set up on WDW property.

correcaminos

I get the idea of being fully vaccinated (we are)
HOWEVER, it is a rule right now at these parks that you wear a mask over your nose and below your chin.
Why should this rule be followed any differently than say you must wear a shirt and shoes.

It is a rule for visiting so folks can decide. If they want to visit they should follow the rules.

Disney changed the rules on the size of strollers. It doesn't mean you can come with a larger stroller and say but last time I came it was OK so I should be able to break the rule this time. Yes this is a new/different rule but it is a rule.
Not sure why you quoted me on this. I never suggested breaking rules, in fact I mentioned it was a rule that some were breaking. I also said I think it is time rules should change.

If you took me saying I wear a looser fitting mask as breaking rules, not sure what to say. What I wear in public is very fitted. I just will loosen straps or wear the surgical style sans a knot. Still in the rules.

Tom P.

I'm assuming that folks hiding me must have to take an extra step every time they want to access this thread!
If you ignore somebody, it literally just removes their messages from the thread as you are viewing it. There's no indication that those messages ever existed, but also nothing special you have to do to access a thread they participate in. It can be rather confusing, though, when people are replying to things that you don't see because of your ignore list. In fact, that's the main reason why I generally don't use the ignore list feature but rather just keep a mental "ignore list" in my head. :)

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
If you ignore somebody, it literally just removes their messages from the thread as you are viewing it. There's no indication that those messages ever existed, but also nothing special you have to do to access a thread they participate in. It can be rather confusing, though, when people are replying to things that you don't see because of your ignore list. In fact, that's the main reason why I generally don't use the ignore list feature but rather just keep a mental "ignore list" in my head. :)
I thought it hid the entire thread from the main page? At least, that's been my experience with other folks. I've had to "show ignored" or whatever on that page to see the thread. Maybe the mods worked magic on this one since it's become more popular than a lead cheerleader.

Tom P.

I thought it hid the entire thread from the main page? At least, that's been my experience with other folks. I've had to "show ignored" or whatever on that page to see the thread. Maybe the mods worked magic on this one since it's become more popular than a lead cheerleader.
I wonder if it makes a difference as to who created the thread. Perhaps threads created by someone on your ignore list don't show at all, while others do with just the messages removed? I don't know. Perhaps @wdwmagic will jump in to clarify.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I wonder if it makes a difference as to who created the thread. Perhaps threads created by someone on your ignore list don't show at all, while others do with just the messages removed? I don't know. Perhaps @wdwmagic will jump in to clarify.
That's my question. Anyone who hid me wouldn't be able to see the thread title itself showing up in the main News page/forum, but my posts would be hidden once they've accessed it.

CatesMom

Everyone claiming that "breakthrough" COVID isn't "really a risk" so vaccinated folks shouldn't care whether others get the shot doesn't want it to go away.

correcaminos

I think they are assuming if you put the OP on ignore the thread disappears on the rumors page itself. However if you are active one can still get notifications and easily view the thread even if the OP is on ignore. So no, we don't have to unignore to see the thread. The OP has mentioned this more than once. Even to me when I was shocked that they would use a kind post about trying to keep calm when a self proclaimed hypochondriac wanted some advice to calm down, against me to show how superior they were in guessing doom and gloom when even many scientists and medical people were not. Lucky guess on their part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom