Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
lol.... Yes, and can you see why I'm saying you're a little overly optimistic?
I do suspect we will go above 50% of total population. Certainly with the addition of kids, but in the chase for herd immunity, vaccinating a child (who already is less likely to transmit the disease) doesn't actually fully substitute for vaccinating an adult.

I've been saying for a while, I expect around 70% of adults to get vaccinated. But that could easily fall in a range of 65-75%.

Whether it's a success or failure will depend on whether it's enough to reach herd immunity. Proof will be in the numbers. If we vaccinate 65% of the population and we are down to under 3,000 cases per day by July 1, then it's a huge success.
If we vaccinate 75% of the population and we still have 15,000-30,000 cases per day by July 1, then it's a failure.
I give up. Based on polling 71% of Americans want to get the vaccine. When I said that you said the polls were wrong and the number would be lower. In your previous post you said we would have to hope for herd immunity at 50% vaccinated. Now you are saying you have been saying all along 70% of adults will get vaccinated. If that’s the case we would have been in agreement.

...and for the record 71% of eligible people vaccinated will equal 60% of the population until kids under 12 are approved.

disneygeek90

Everyday I get an email from Gov. Cuomo giving statistics for the previous day - number inoculated, hospitalized, passed away, etc. This is from yesterday:
Here's what else you need to know tonight:

1. COVID hospitalizations rose to 3,873. Of the 116,483 tests reported yesterday, 3,922, or 3.37 percent, were positive. The 7-day average positivity rate was 2.80 percent. There were 823 patients in ICU yesterday, down 13 from the previous day. Of them, 504 are intubated. Sadly, we lost 45 New Yorkers to the virus.

2. As of 11am this morning, 42.1 percent of New Yorkers have completed at least one vaccine dose. Over the past 24 hours, 154,049 total doses have been administered. To date, New York has administered 13,582,969 total doses with 28.8 percent of New Yorkers completing their vaccine series. See data by region and county on the State's Vaccine Tracker: ny.gov/vaccinetracker.

On the local news this a.m. was this report: https://longisland.news12.com/long-islands-largest-health-system-touts-surplus-of-covid-19-vaccines

I do think that this is just a natural slow-down. I myself drove 22 miles - 40 minutes- to Aqueduct when I got the first available appt., as did my husband and daughter- when they opened to 60+ and/or co-morbitities, and will gladly do it again if a booster is needed. I think those who really, really wanted the vaccine went wherever they could to get it as soon as they could get it. I also think that the next group to get it are those who were waiting to see if we grew a third eye or arm after the vaccine, developed a superpower, or are waiting until their local pharmacy gets them in. I applaud Nassau County for having mobile vaccination trucks going to underserved communities and searching out home-bound people to administer vaccines to.
My dad gladly drove 2 hours each way for both shots from southwest florida to southeast florida.

Chip Chipperson

Agreed. A 44-year-old man in my area (my friend's cousin) was careful and followed the rules -- in fact, he went beyond them, going nowhere outside the house except to work. A a coworker assigned to sit near him decided to "make a statement" by flouting the rules and refusing to wear a mask. That coworker turned out to have COVID and gave it to several other coworkers including my friend's cousin, who died from it in January, leaving behind a wife and three young children. The only statement that coworker ultimately made is that he had no qualms about murdering other people.

Hopefully this scenario will play out less and less now that those eligible for the vaccine have some way of protecting themselves. Still, that's small comfort to those who have already lost loved ones because of others' carelessness and ignorance.

That guy should have been fired and charged with some level of manslaughter. I'd say more about my feelings towards someone like that but I'm certain it would violate some board rules on language. Anyone playing along at home can string together 5 or 6 of your favorite insults and you'll likely be pretty close to what I'm thinking.

Chip Chipperson

Just emphasizing, people who have had the complete vaccination and full immunization 2 week after waiting process will be safer. It's still not the same as being safe. There are "breakthrough" cases.
There are variants out there and all the science still isn't in on those, plus there are indications the UK is the dominant one now.
We're getting there, and I am hopeful. I have work to do out on the west coast, and there's still no way I'm sitting on a commercial flight, since they only require that people wear masks.
Even then, there are those who will only comply when pressured.
I know someone who is reluctant to get any vaccine for this since it's still experimental and not guaranteed to be free of any side effects in the future. I don't think that will ever happen, by the way. It's the nature of vaccines. I don't know where that idea came from.
Hmm...huge decrease in likelihood of serious illness or death from Covid? Yes, please.
They are even checking to see if an antibody test can be substituted for being vaccinated at work or for their kid going into college in the fall, since they think they had it in early 2020 and therefore if they had it, they now have antibodies and that their family is now likely immune, since nobody got sick. Oh, no word that they have antibodies or even had a test for such done, yet. I don't know how far that will fly.
I will treat any interaction with them with precautions as if we are not vaccinated at all, which is what the personal plan is unless only dealing with fully immunized people outside our immediate family circle.

Rutgers in NJ and at least some other colleges are requiring proof of vaccination for any students to attend in person class in the fall.

I saw a recent article on Ted Nugent who claimed it was all a hoax, recently caught it, of course, got pretty sick for a week,not hospitalized, but is still not getting a vaccine because "nobody knows what's in it." Sadly, there are a lot of people with that opinion and are a large part of what is holding us back.

The same Ted Nugent who posted a video about a week or so ago using the "fact" that we didn't shut down for COVID #s 1-18 as "proof" that it's all a scam? Why am I not surprised?

LaughingGravy

I love that you guys are still arguing about this after 14 months and 3,100 pages of replies 😂😂
Well, it's still a thing, and until it becomes a non-issue, I'm glad to have the opportunity. This could have very easily been shut down as not related to the parks, but for the most part, people here know how to write without being insulting and we all have a desire to enjoy a nice Disney and/or other amusement park. Thank you moderators and owners!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here's the thing. I don't believe everyone wants this thing to go away. I really don't.

First off, I think a lot of the fear about where we are is being driven by the media. The media has a vested interest in keeping this thing going as long as possible. They really do. 2020 was a banner year for the news media. The ratings that they scored from Covid news were through the roof. (Yes, there was a healthy amount of presidential politics mixed in to, but Covid was clearly the defining story of the year.) They don't want to lose that. And they already see it slipping away. They are trying to prolong this as much as they possibly can. And that is influencing how lots of people view where we are.

I think there are also political motivations behind some of the doom-and-gloom, but I won't go farther than to say that I think they exist because of the no politics rule.

Suffice it to say, no, I don't believe everyone wants it to go away. Not by a long shot.
I think most people do want it to go away. I think a lot of the more recent doom and gloom on vaccinations is in relation to the desire to see vaccine passports implemented. If the vaccine rollout succeeds and Covid cases drop enough we remove restrictions and return to normal life but some people want to see vaccine passports become a reality and the best way for that to happen is if the vaccine rollout fails. some of the people most negative on vaccine rollout are the most passionate about the need for vaccine passports.

I have no issue personally with vaccine passports since I’m vaccinated but I just see it as the hard way to go. Lots of conflict and unnecessary struggle. It would be better for the country to not need to go down that road but I see it as plan B. Let’s wait and see how the vaccine rollout goes.

sullyinMT

I highly recommend the Grand Tetons! Spectacular hiking there last summer.
Tetons are wonderful. May I also suggest flying to Spokane (if you’re comfortable), renting a private RV and exploring anywhere from Spokane to Glacier. Mica Moon even has canopy zip lining for the kids!

Jrb1979

I think most people do want it to go away. I think a lot of the more recent doom and gloom on vaccinations is in relation to the desire to see vaccine passports implemented. If the vaccine rollout succeeds and Covid cases drop enough we remove restrictions and return to normal life but some people want to see vaccine passports become a reality and the best way for that to happen is if the vaccine rollout fails. some of the people most negative on vaccine rollout are the most passionate about the need for vaccine passports.

I have no issue personally with vaccine passports since I’m vaccinated but I just see it as the hard way to go. Lots of conflict and unnecessary struggle. It would be better for the country to not need to go down that road but I see it as plan B. Let’s wait and see how the vaccine rollout goes.
That would be me. I want vaccine passports required for concerts, cruises, sporting events and amusement parks. I'm glad cruises are requiring it and I believe it will be a permanent thing. With some NY based teams requiring its a matter of time til more do it. I'm sorry but I've lost a lot of faith in and respect for most people now. Too many don't care about others.

EngineerMom

You mention both Disney and Universal, but only report on Disney. As someone who has been dozens of days post reopening at both places, Disney is much better with masks overall. Universal mask wearing is pretty much a free for all unless you walk by the person holding the mask sign. Even then they will just shout to someone who will ignore and keep walking.

Once people get into City Walk they immediately drop their masks and no one says anything. I've also seen some crazy packed chaotic areas such as the front of Mummy when it is only doing virtual queue. Disney absolutely does reinforce more consistently than Universal, and for the compliance is much higher in Disney too. Maybe you stumbled onto some bad luck, but Disney is much more strict than Universal and it's not even close.
Sorry I can easliry mention both Disney and Universal last week.
Universal was MUCH MUCH better.
People were wearing their masks more and social distancing more in line.
I only mentioned Disney because that was the only place where they didn't seem to be following their own rules. And other than seeing a security guard at Springs and 2 rides, the castmembers didn't seem to care. Even when they told someone to fix their mask they ignore them a min later and those people in general went RIGHT back to moving their mask dwon.

EngineerMom

You mention both Disney and Universal, but only report on Disney. As someone who has been dozens of days post reopening at both places, Disney is much better with masks overall. Universal mask wearing is pretty much a free for all unless you walk by the person holding the mask sign. Even then they will just shout to someone who will ignore and keep walking.

Once people get into City Walk they immediately drop their masks and no one says anything. I've also seen some crazy packed chaotic areas such as the front of Mummy when it is only doing virtual queue. Disney absolutely does reinforce more consistently than Universal, and for the compliance is much higher in Disney too. Maybe you stumbled onto some bad luck, but Disney is much more strict than Universal and it's not even close.
I will agree to disagree

disneygeek90

Sorry I can easliry mention both Disney and Universal last week.
Universal was MUCH MUCH better.
People were wearing their masks more and social distancing more in line.
I only mentioned Disney because that was the only place where they didn't seem to be following their own rules. And other than seeing a security guard at Springs and 2 rides, the castmembers didn't seem to care. Even when they told someone to fix their mask they ignore them a min later and those people in general went RIGHT back to moving their mask dwon.
Interesting. In my 10 months of returning to both places nearly every week since reopen, Disney has always been much more consistent.

Turtlekrawl

Ever visit CNN's Web site? Today is an exception, of course, because of the Chauvin verdict from yesterday, but on an average day, I mean. You are likely to find about half the "above the fold" area littered with stories about how the latest Covid news is bad and how we're nowhere close to ending this thing.
Yes - even yesterday they still had the story on their home page about how bad it is that new cases are rising in the US, even though we began a downward trajectory 1 week ago.

Not just CNN though. Virtually every news outlet has an agenda at this point.

EngineerMom

I forgot to add that some of the worst offenders at Disney were older people.
And due to the rides, etc we didn't see many old people at Universal. We have visited in April many times and this was the MOST older folks we have ever seen.

We actually said with all of DVC open at Disney we figured that brought out the older DVC owners. SO our guess was that the older folks had been fully vaccinated and were no longer worried.!
Of course we were fully vaccinated but still wore our masks correctly the whole time......its not just for you but for others.
And speaking as someone who will finally see her parents next month after a year of sitting in their driveway while they are on their porch, I respected the looking out for elderly people before......if they are now vaccinated they should be respectful of everyone else.

Before I get the comments - of course I do not mean all older folks. And of course we saw all sorts of folks with their masks down but we did see lots of older folks doing it.

LaughingGravy

I forgot to add that some of the worst offenders at Disney were older people.
And due to the rides, etc we didn't see many old people at Universal. We have visited in April many times and this was the MOST older folks we have ever seen.

We actually said with all of DVC open at Disney we figured that brought out the older DVC owners. SO our guess was that the older folks had been fully vaccinated and were no longer worried.!
Of course we were fully vaccinated but still wore our masks correctly the whole time......its not just for you but for others.
And speaking as someone who will finally see her parents next month after a year of sitting in their driveway while they are on their porch, I respected the looking out for elderly people before......if they are now vaccinated they should be respectful of everyone else.

Before I get the comments - of course I do not mean all older folks. And of course we saw all sorts of folks with their masks down but we did see lots of older folks doing it.
Insert "Boomers Got the Vax" SNL video, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom