Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmascari

I do get where you're coming from. I disagree on community spread being low for not needing it. Do you think once community spread is low that SeaWorld will drop their proof of vaccine? Or the Bills in Buffalo doing the same?
Why wouldn't they?

There's no value in proof of vaccine if spread is low enough. You don't provide proof of measles vaccine or negative TB test to do any of those things.

It would just be extra overhead at that point with very limited value. Much like shutting the school down one day a week to deep clean every surface has very limited value and should be stopped now.

ImperfectPixie

Why wouldn't they?

There's no value in proof of vaccine if spread is low enough. You don't provide proof of measles vaccine or negative TB test to do any of those things.

It would just be extra overhead at that point with very limited value. Much like shutting the school down one day a week to deep clean every surface has very limited value and should be stopped now.
Our public schools require proof of multiple vaccinations in order for children to attend.

mmascari

Our public schools require proof of multiple vaccinations in order for children to attend.
Yes, the school does. And, I expect schools, colleges, international travel, probably cruises too. Any group type long term living or anyplace that requires a real passport to require it.

But, something like SeaWorld, the Bills in Buffalo, random concert, movie theater, or local pub? Not so much.

sullyinMT

I do get where you're coming from. I disagree on community spread being low for not needing it. Do you think once community spread is low that SeaWorld will drop their proof of vaccine? Or the Bills in Buffalo doing the same?
I’m under the assumption that CA is allowing the passport, and SeaWorld sees the need before the June target date of opening CA tourism to the general public. Maybe they will, maybe they won’t (I mean maybe demand for out of state visitors to SeaWorld may be a significant number). I may be wrong in my understanding, but this applies to non-Californians, correct? So an Anaheim resident doesn’t need to show “credentials,” but someone from Reno would.

Maybe, if SeaWorld is successful, CA will extend the passport/test requirement past the June target date until the national picture deems it unnecessary.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Remember that the 42.1% is of the whole population but roughly 25% of the population is not eligible to be vaccinated because they are under 16 so that works out to over 56% of eligible people having gone.
Putting 16+ in the 'adult' category (all eligible by age to be vaccinated), then multiply the percent of all people by 1.246 to get percent of all eligible by age vaccinated. So, yeah, it's 25%.

So 42.1% x 1.246 = 52.4% of adults with at least one dose in the U.S. so far.

MickeyLuv'r

You honestly are missing the point. Buying in bulk is expensive. Having fresh foods is too. A 40 minute dinner is exhausting to some. Maybe you were able to but it's actually not that simple.

I know you mean well but I'm not sure you really get it if this was doable for those really struggling. Unhealthy eating is a bad mix and when systemically you are kept down this is not an easy cycle to break. Another poster used a word privilege and it does matter. You were taught by those in the know. Who teaches those who don't have that? I had to learn myself and figure it out. Getting to effective savings with bulk items took time. It wasn't super easy to switch to that.

Not to mention I didn't need your lecture in the first place (especially using onions lol)

Helenabear, you have zero idea of what my life experience has been, or any of my relatives, or any of my friends.

Truly, I'm sorry.

On so many levels, I'm sorry. I misunderstood. I interpreted your participation in this thread as an indication that you were interested in exchanging information on this topic. I participate in this forum in the hopes of learning from everyone else, and sharing my experience in return.

An entire branch of my family survived a summer picking beans. As in, they were paid in beans. Bean soup was how they survived.

I shared the recipe, because it has helped me through tough times. The recipe is a symbol of their resilience. When they could barter for carrots, they added carrots. When they didn't have carrots, they went without carrots. Resilience is how they survived, and how they taught me to survive tough times.

To answer your last question: my hope is that we all learn by listening to each other.

Jrb1979

Yes, the school does. And, I expect schools, colleges, international travel, probably cruises too. Any group type long term living or anyplace that requires a real passport to require it.

But, something like SeaWorld, the Bills in Buffalo, random concert, movie theater, or local pub? Not so much.
I think it will permanent. The Bills season doesn't start till the fall. If what many are saying community spread should be low by then. Why would they even have it unless it's a permanent thing. Where I see it staying is concerts, sporting events cruises and possibly some amusement parks.

Jrb1979

I’m under the assumption that CA is allowing the passport, and SeaWorld sees the need before the June target date of opening CA tourism to the general public. Maybe they will, maybe they won’t. I may be wrong in my understanding, but this applies to non-Californians, correct? So an Anaheim resident doesn’t need to show “credentials,” but someone from Reno would.

Maybe, if SeaWorld is successful, CA will extend the passport/test requirement past the June target date until the national picture deems it unnecessary.
I don't believe that. I think once it's implemented many other places will follow. It will be a thing of the future. I don't see the big deal especially for places with large gatherings.

mmascari

I have an 11 year old. I would not take him to WDW if they required him to take multiple Covid tests. I’d just go to the beach or a National park or something. There’s plenty of other stuff to do for vacations besides WDW. Once my kids are eligible I’d have no problem with requiring proof of vaccination, but I’m not doing the test thing.

I also would probably not want to go to WDW anyway in that case since the only reason you would need a vaccine passport is if community spread is still high. So if community spread remains high (like it still is today) count me out on theme parks either way. I have no desire to be mixed in with all those strangers, especially if they loosen safety protocols but people are exploiting the 72 hour loophole. An unvaccinated person tests negative and then spends 2 days doing god knows what that could lead to infection and then presents a negative test at the gate and walks around with no masks and distancing anymore. Seems like a bad idea to get involved in that if community spread is still high. If community spread is low enough then there’s no need for a passport.
Still planning on the August trip?

As I think that's our biggest difference. You have hope and see the bright side and assume community spread will be low by the middle of August. I have concern, and while I was holding out that you're correct, this morning I moved our 7/31 reservation to June 2022. It's possible we're both right, I think there's 2 weeks between my old date and your date. It's possible that's enough time to make a difference. There's always hope. :happy:

DisneyCane

She is medically unable to get the vaccine. It could be very dangerous for her. She can't get vaccinated for the flu, pneumonia, or anything else, either.
I wasn't aware that somebody who is immunocompromised can get a worse reaction from a vaccine than from the disease that the vaccine is trying to protect against. I was only aware of people with severe allergies to vaccines that could cause a really bad reaction.

hopemax

24 hours past my 2nd shot. Still only arm soreness (extending more into my neck/shoulder area than the 1st one) and some extra tiredness. DH is feeling achy and that off slightly woozy feeling when you feel something coming on, and so he took some ibuprofen. I don't know if I feel relieved or disappointed, I am not having the reported stronger reaction, lol.

sullyinMT

I don't believe that. I think once it's implemented many other places will follow. It will be a thing of the future. I don't see the big deal especially for places with large gatherings.
California is allowing for out of state (different virus profile) visitors with vaccination proof. I really think once the nation levels out (and assuming it’s a low level), there won’t be a need there from a blanket policy standpoint.

I actually applaud SeaWorld for trying it, though. As a business, it makes sense to attract as many customers as possible and make them feel safe. If one of the major airlines that serve my little airport offered select departures as vaccine only, I’d certainly feel safer. I’d love to see a “vaccinated driver?” option for rideshares.

But, once this does get behind us, the cost/benefit will fade for those services and industries that don’t offer congregate housing formats (college dorms, cruises) or serve swaths of people from different disease profiles (international flights/ferries/trains).

*not trying to argue, as I think you and I have similar short term opinions of the usefulness of passports in large settings. How long they last is where we differ.

Jrb1979

California is allowing for out of state (different virus profile) visitors with vaccination proof. I really think once the nation levels out (and assuming it’s a low level), there won’t be a need there from a blanket policy standpoint.

I actually applaud SeaWorld for trying it, though. As a business, it makes sense to attract as many customers as possible and make them feel safe. If one of the major airlines that serve my little airport offered select departures as vaccine only, I’d certainly feel safer. I’d love to see a “vaccinated driver?” option for rideshares.

But, once this does get behind us, the cost/benefit will fade for those services and industries that don’t offer congregate housing formats (college dorms, cruises) or serve swaths of people from different disease profiles (international flights/ferries/trains).

*not trying to argue, as I think you and I have similar short term opinions of the usefulness of passports in large settings. How long they last is where we differ.
I just can't see them implementing something on this scale for it to be temporary. I also don't see the big deal.

ImperfectPixie

I wasn't aware that somebody who is immunocompromised can get a worse reaction from a vaccine than from the disease that the vaccine is trying to protect against. I was only aware of people with severe allergies to vaccines that could cause a really bad reaction.
I don't know how her condition works, only that her doctor has advised her against any kind of vaccination, including the COVID vaccines (she asked).

sullyinMT

"President Joe Biden announced a tax credit for employers offering Covid vaccine-related paid leave."

It's a small step to encourage vaccination, but at least it's something.
That helps businesses, and certainly some people will come along if their employer offer a half day, full day, whatever.

A tax credit to the individual might go a little further. And it doesn’t need to be huge. Leave it to the economists to figure out the figure, but people get flu shots for a $5 kickback.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

More likely an issue with over-active immune system then immunocompromised.

correcaminos

Helenabear, you have zero idea of what my life experience has been, or any of my relatives, or any of my friends.

Truly, I'm sorry.

On so many levels, I'm sorry. I misunderstood. I interpreted your participation in this thread as an indication that you were interested in exchanging information on this topic. I participate in this forum in the hopes of learning from everyone else, and sharing my experience in return.

An entire branch of my family survived a summer picking beans. As in, they were paid in beans. Bean soup was how they survived.

I shared the recipe, because it has helped me through tough times. The recipe is a symbol of their resilience. When they could barter for carrots, they added carrots. When they didn't have carrots, they went without carrots. Resilience is how they survived, and how they taught me to survive tough times.

To answer your last question: my hope is that we all learn by listening to each other.
Well you totally missed my point. As one who says we are here to listen you did not. Instead you gloriously and sanctimoniously tried to put me in a box and were totally off on what I was saying. Glad your family learned and survived. My whole point was: Your story is not the only story. If you are here to listen know I'm allergic to onion which is all those jokes were about. But feel free to think you're better than me. I really am not pressed to impress people on the internet. Systemic racism and poverty is hard to overcome. Glad you all survived. Not all do. I am here to talk and listen. It goes both ways.

For the record if you listened you would see I never assumed anything about you. I strictly responded to your words. Nothing else. Enjoy your day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom