Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
No one is saying "screw them" to people with comorbidity. Simply that it IS a huge factor and that is would be extremely responsible and helpful to talk about physical health as well as vaccines. No one is saying that people should feel shame for a comorbidity and who cares if they die.....

Except this guy.... he is literally saying that people who don't get the vaccine can "drop dead". And people liked this comment?!

It's not ok to point out that obesity is a huge factor and that there is some personal responsibility there..... but people who don't want to get a shot... They can drop dead?

How is that ok???!!!!

I am so confused by what is considered acceptable and what isn't.
I think he reflects how a lot of us feel that those who don't get vaccinated for whatever their reason, deserve what may happen to them. I am NOT saying they can "drop dead" by any means, but I simply have no sympathy for those that catch COVID and fall seriously ill because they didn't want to take 30 minutes to get vaccinated, or that it's a hoax, or a government conspiracy, or it won't hurt me because I'm young and in good health, or any other stupid and illogical reason they come up with. Unless you have a medical reason, there is NO reason not to get vaccinated.

I do feel very sorry for those who cannot get vaccinated for medical reasons, as they are going to have to be careful for probably the rest of their lives. Our 70 year old aunt was finally approved by her doctor to get vaccinated, as she has several underlying medical conditions, and he is monitoring her very closely. We used to see her every other month, and now haven't been able to visit in over a year.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Are sites accessible to everyone? Or is there the expectation people drive 30-60 minutes away for an appointment?
We have a few counties with lower rates than a metropolitan, and within those areas there might be 1 site.
It's still a long drive for some:( We also need more night and weekend appointments for those that can't take off from work. Those are booked solid for miles and miles and miles around me. Found one 1pm a 30 minute drive for somebody today in 2 weeks

sullyinMT

That definitely looks like a slowing trend in Florida, though with ~2/3 of the adult population at least started on vaccination.
Sucks it’s slowing already (in many places, not just FL). Hopefully Florida can get another million or so adults started in short order, and get those adolescents approved very soon.

correcaminos

I'm not scaring them unnecessarily. While we are behind in vaccinations, there is also resistance going on in some age groups. Pharmacies here are giving out the AstraZeneca vaccine. They couldn't fill appointments for those 50+. They opened it to 40+ today and all appointments are full for days. So there is resistance happening.
I don't think you know who you are dealing with, they are quite anxious if you look at the posts. What you said is not what they were asking about. They were asking about vaccines being resistant. not people hesitating to get vaccination. Those are different things. Resistant vaccines mean they are not working against the variants. Vaccine hesitation is what you are talking about.

I wish that were their neighbor's excuse.

View attachment 550688
My neighbor too. It's Michigan and some of us don't give a darn.... ;) At leat it's dropping finally. They opened things up quick and had one variant going wild without vaccinating enough. A perfect storm.

Cooking healthy, inexpensive meals is mostly a matter of education.
I own a number of cookbooks where every recipe has 5 ingredients or less.

A big trick to eating healthy without much fuss is to cook food in bulk. Cook a large package of chicken, then freeze in portions for up to a year! There are 1,000 EASY, cheap ways to flavor plain poultry + cooked starches + cooked vegetables. Any combo of meat/veggies/starch + water and bouillon cubes= soup. Eggs are versatile, inexpensive, and easy to cook.

One easy cheat is to save the packets that come with fast food, like honey mustard sauce. ANOTHER easy cheat is to double a fast food meal. One order of fried rice is easily doubled by adding frozen veggies + scrambled egg(s). Soups are also super easy to double. Any leftover food sauce- like Asian brown sauce can be saved and used to flavor a 2nd round of veggies. Many sauces can be doubled just by adding water; it often healthier and tastes better.

Black bean soup is a favorite recipe: super easy, inexpensive, and super variable recipe. Just about every ingredient, even the black beans, is optional: sub just about any bean, except green/pole beans. Use any carrots: baby, frozen, canned, fresh chopped carrots, or no carrots. I love pre-chopped frozen onions!

1. Sauté chopped onions and carrots in a pan with any type of oil until they start to brown.
2. Add 2 cans of rinsed (black) beans, 1/4 cup orange juice (or not), 1/2teaspoon cumin (or not), garlic (or not).
3. Add 2 cups of any type of broth, OR 2 bouillon cubes+2 cups of water, or even plain water! (w/salt at end), maybe 1/8 cup wine/mirin/miso
4. Simmer for 30minutes or longer. Longer tastes better.
6. Just before serving add salt and pepper to taste. Maybe add: hot sauce, peppers, chilies, spinach, corn, etc.

Serve plain OR with chicken, chips, crackers, jarred salsa, sour cream, plain Greek yogurt, guacamole, chopped mango, and/or:

Salsa A: Mango, cilantro, chopped red onion (raw or cooked)
Salsa B: Avocado, cilantro, chopped red onion

Recipe can be doubled, stored in fridge, and/or frozen. Anyone can make this, and it is even vegan!

As with much of the debate in this thread, it is mostly just a matter of making excuses. Every library has recipe books.
Nothing personal, but I know how to make cheap but healthy food. What you missed is how long it takes for some to cook They literally do not have time for what you said. I learned how to be cheap years ago and still do many things from scratch. but what I had was time. If you are working 2 jobs, you don't have time to sautee and simmer and even cut veggies.

I also would be unable to eat that recipe if you read any of my posts ;) I also would never freeze chicken that long, but some of your ideas are not bad. It just needs to be simple and quick for those who lack both time and money. When you are working even full time or 2 jobs, the time and energy is not always there though. I think people don't realize what levels of life they have until they sit down and listen. Not all can even do this in terms of energy. Fresh veggies don't last either. We were pretty poor and I found ways but giving a recipe like this honestly is a bit preachy tbh when you are missing key factors. Even buying in bulk is hard to do since you need the money up front.

Last edited:

Smooth

Just FYI for anyone interested
1618946479865.png

mmascari

No one is saying "screw them" to people with comorbidity. Simply that it IS a huge factor and that is would be extremely responsible and helpful to talk about physical health as well as vaccines. No one is saying that people should feel shame for a comorbidity and who cares if they die.....
I think we might be reading different messages here. Because when I read all of these messages:

A large portion of those 550,000 Americans would be alive today if they had taken better care of themselves for most of the previous years of their lives.
That is a fact.

Not fat shaming just following science.

Yes, your observation is correct. So if you are elderly, obese or have any other comorbidity, act accordingly. Do not expect others to act in response to your comorbidity.

83.9% of Covid deaths had at least 1 comorbidity.

You missed my point. If you have a comorbidity, don't rely on others to protect you. Take it upon yourself to protect yourself.

Don't be the alcoholic that blames the bartender for your relapse.

What I read in all of these is "if you have a comorbidity, it's your fault if you die from COVID".

But how is "we need to start having honest conversations about how obesity affects overall heath" the same as "Drop dead anti-vaxxers"?

Are we really not willing to recognize how hateful that kind of speech is? Are we really... as a community..... willing to accept that kind of sentiment towards one another instead of compassion and understanding?
I didn't read a single one of those messages as "let's talk about better ways to live healthy". The message I saw very clearly was "it's your fault if you die from COVID, you should have lived better, made better risk aversion choices (even if that included abandoning areas where others were not respecting the conditions to make them safer)."

PS: Those are just from TODAY. When I went to pull them, I didn't realize they were mostly from one poster.

havoc315

Supposedly Mayor Demings wants to wait until 50% of Orange County is vaccinated before removing restrictions..
Sadly, Orange County is only a little over 30% and read this:

Appointments slow to fill up at Orange County Convention Center​

Demand for the coronavirus vaccine in Orange County appears to have slowed.

The Convention Center had 17,000 Pfizer shots available this week.

As of Monday evening, Demings says 11,000 spots were unfilled.

------------

So 2/3rds of the available vaccine appointments in Orange County are now going unfilled.
At that level of vaccination, it would take Orange county many months to get up to 50%.
I wouldn't have expected that much vaccine hesitancy in Orange County.

HarperRose

I don't think you know who you are dealing with, they are quite anxious if you look at the posts. What you said is not what they were asking about. They were asking about vaccines being resistant. not people hesitating to get vaccination. Those are different things. Resistant vaccines mean they are not working against the variants. Vaccine hesitation is what you are talking about.

My neighbor too. It's Michigan and some of us don't give a darn.... ;) At leat it's dropping finally. They opened things up quick and had one variant going wild without vaccinating enough. A perfect storm.

Nothing personal, but I know how to make cheap but healthy food. What you missed is how long it takes for some to cook They literally do not have time for what you said. I learned how to be cheap years ago and still do many things from scratch. but what I had was time. If you are working 2 jobs, you don't have time to sautee and simmer and even cut veggies.

I also would be unable to eat that recipe if you read any of my posts ;) I also would never freeze chicken that long, but some of your ideas are not bad. It just needs to be simple and quick for those who lack both time and money. When you are working even full time or 2 jobs, the time and energy is not always there though. I think people don't realize what levels of life they have until they sit down and listen. Not all can even do this in terms of energy. Fresh veggies don't last either. We were pretty poor and I found ways but giving a recipe like this honestly is a bit preachy tbh when you are missing key factors. Even buying in bulk is hard to do since you need the money up front.
You mentioned it in your last sentence, but it needs to be reiterated. When you don't have enough money from paycheck to paycheck to pay rent, pay utilities and buy the most basic of foods, you aren't buying in bulk. These aren't Costco shoppers (who are typically mid-to-upper class).

havoc315

I think we might be reading different messages here. Because when I read all of these messages:

What I read in all of these is "if you have a comorbidity, it's your fault if you die from COVID".

I didn't read a single one of those messages as "let's talk about better ways to live healthy". The message I saw very clearly was "it's your fault if you die from COVID, you should have lived better, made better risk aversion choices (even if that included abandoning areas where others were not respecting the conditions to make them safer)."

PS: Those are just from TODAY. When I went to pull them, I didn't realize they were mostly from one poster.

Something to remember about the Covid "co-morbidity list" --- More than 50% of Americans have a co-morbidity under the definitions. We aren't talking about just morbidly obese people here.
Have a slightly elevated blood pressure or cholesterol? Welcome to the list.
Overweight? Welcome to the list. That means if you are 5'9 and weigh 170 pounds, you're on the list!
Born with asthma? you're on the list!
I have arthritis -- That puts me on the list! (because of the medication I take for the arthritis)
Pregnant? On the list!
You are older and starting to have dementia or alzheimers? You're on the list!
Ever had a stroke? Then you're on the list!

Even lots of "young and healthy" people would find they are actually on the elevated Covid risk co-morbidity list.

correcaminos

You mentioned it in your last sentence, but it needs to be reiterated. When you don't have enough money from paycheck to paycheck to pay rent, pay utilities and buy the most basic of foods, you aren't buying in bulk. These aren't Costco shoppers (who are typically mid-to-upper class).
Buying in bulk for items that can spoil isn't wise either. To be true, shopping with coupons and sales will be cheaper as well than bulk, but guess what that takes... time? Things like frozen and canned goods will replace fresh. Store brand pasta can make a cheap meal too. But the end result is the time that goes in with the money... it takes work. It is circular in many ways. We've been there (a 50% pay cut taught me a lot) but time was on my side. No time, no money? You really cannot do this easily.

havoc315

Nashville's main downtown clinic had 500 doses for yesterday. Walk in with no appointment. They only used 139 doses. :(

You can get an appointment same day also.

Sounds like vaccination is now dramatically slowing down.

All the New York sites that were impossible to get appointments -- They now all have hundreds open per day.

Some places in the US are getting close to 50% and slowly down, but even places that are only are 30% are dramatically slowing down.

Patcheslee

Seems like states need to start looking more at targeted area approaches now. Just looking at some Florida counties that have single digit daily vaccinations, they need to answer why it's that low for multiple days. It could be the lack of doses being given to the county or just that low of demand.

Tom P.

Sounds like vaccination is now dramatically slowing down.

All the New York sites that were impossible to get appointments -- They now all have hundreds open per day.

Some places in the US are getting close to 50% and slowly down, but even places that are only are 30% are dramatically slowing down.
As of yesterday, the CDC is reporting that the overall pace of vaccinations in the United States is remaining steady, with over 3 million doses administered per day. That could indicate that some of this localized data is not reflective of an overall nationwide trend. Or it could be that it is an early indicator of slowdowns that will impact the entire country soon. But I remain optimistic that we will continue a good pace of vaccinations.

havoc315

Seems like states need to start looking more at targeted area approaches now. Just looking at some Florida counties that have single digit daily vaccinations, they need to answer why it's that low for multiple days. It could be the lack of doses being given to the county or just that low of demand.

It's low demand. Florida has tons of unused doses. They have only used 75% of their doses.... US average is 80% of doses used, with some states between 85-90% of doses used.

MickeyLuv'r

I don't wish to argue with you, but I think you missed much of what I said.

Black bean soup, as an example is as simple as frying a few onions and dumping two cans of beans into a pot. After 30 minutes, it can be frozen for up to a year.

And that's just one recipe.

almost every culture globally has some for of bean soup, and or. fried rice, or they combine them into beans+rice. Most are simple, inexpensive and can be made in large batches and kept for quite some time.

And my post comes from an informed place/experience. I learned form those in the know how to survive on a tight budget, and stiull eat healthy, with limited time to cook.

havoc315

As of yesterday, the CDC is reporting that the overall pace of vaccinations in the United States is remaining steady, with over 3 million doses administered per day. That could indicate that some of this localized data is not reflective of an overall nationwide trend. Or it could be that it is an early indicator of slowdowns that will impact the entire country soon. But I remain optimistic that we will continue a good pace of vaccinations.

That's a lagging average. Yesterday, 2.2 million doses were administered in the US.
On 4/12, it was 2.5 million doses.

We have plateaued and the decline is starting.

I feel it hard here in New York -- Last Monday, it was 185,000 doses, yesterday just 145,000 doses.
Today, only 154,000 doses reported. 1 week ago: 220,000 doses administered.

So seeing a consistent 20-30% drop this week compared to last week in New York. And that seems common in other places.

correcaminos

I don't wish to argue with you, but I think you missed much of what I said.

Black bean soup, as an example is as simple as frying a few onions and dumping two cans of beans into a pot. After 30 minutes, it can be frozen for up to a year.

And that's just one recipe.

almost every culture globally has some for of bean soup, and or. fried rice, or they combine them into beans+rice. Most are simple, inexpensive and can be made in large batches and kept for quite some time.

And my post comes from an informed place/experience. I learned form those in the know how to survive on a tight budget, and stiull eat healthy, with limited time to cook.
You honestly are missing the point. Buying in bulk is expensive. Having fresh foods is too. A 40 minute dinner is exhausting to some. Maybe you were able to but it's actually not that simple.

I know you mean well but I'm not sure you really get it if this was doable for those really struggling. Unhealthy eating is a bad mix and when systemically you are kept down this is not an easy cycle to break. Another poster used a word privilege and it does matter. You were taught by those in the know. Who teaches those who don't have that? I had to learn myself and figure it out. Getting to effective savings with bulk items took time. It wasn't super easy to switch to that.

Not to mention I didn't need your lecture in the first place (especially using onions lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom